Wood Lane - The Changing Face of Tom Fields

 

Researched by Robert Mayer

 

 

 

The name Tom Fields appears after 1860 and was a field name within the Boughey Estate. (Stan Brassington, More Audley Street Names, in Audley Historian 3, (Endon, 1997) p 97)

 

In fact it was a six acre farm with a substantial brick and tile farmhouse put up for sale as desirable building land in Nov 1841. There were four houses already built on the land at that time, one of which is described as 'newly erected'.

 

Note the spelling, which seems completely interchangeable, the current road sign says Tomfields.

 

1

In this sketch by Phillip Jepson the entrance to Tom Fields off Apedale road can be seen centre left. The Day and Thornhill families are shown on the west side. (See numbers 1 and 5 below) The Berrisford family are shown on the East side. (See number 6 below)

 

Dr Singh, known as ‘singer’ lived in Tom fields in the 1940’s. He sold quack medicines in the market hall in Newcastle. The house number is yet to be determined.

 

 

 

 

 

Fact File No.1

 

In 1910 William Turner lived her and B W Griggs owned the property. (See Audley Historian 14, p 95)

In 1911 Emma Henshall lived here with her son Amos Henshall and two lodgers Henry Edwards and Albert Hopwood. The property is recorded as having 6 rooms.

On 25 February 1932 Alfred Henry Brindley died here. He was aged 48.

Margaret Doreen Pepper, the daughter of Frank and May Pepper was born here in Mar 1931.

In 1933 Edmund and Ethel May Day lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Edmund, Frank Edmond, Doreen Margaret and Ethel May Day lived here, together with Ellen Simkin. Edmund was a colliery loader below ground born 25 Dec 1883 and Ethel May, who had unpaid domestic duties, was born 10 Oct 1885. Frank Edmond Day was a blacksmith's strike working on the surface and was born 26 Jan 1913. Doreen Margaret Day was born 11 Dec 1932 and was a scholar. Ellen Simkin was born 5 July 1900 and had unpaid domestic duties.

In September 1939 Leonard Simkin and his daughter Maureen lived here with Mrs Day, they had arrived from West Bromwich and were probably evacuees.

On 3 October 1945 Edmund Day died here. He was aged 61 and the husband of Ethel May Day. He was buried on 7 October 1945.

On 13 Nov 1950 Eliza Pepper was buried aged 90. At the time he was living here.

In 1951 Frank E. and Ethel May Day lived here. Ethel May Brindley was the daughter of Henry & Eliza Brindley née Henshall.

On 17 December 1966 Ethel May Day was buried, aged 81. At the time she was living here. Mrs Day was the caretaker for Hill Top Chapel.

It was bought by compulsory purchase order. The council paid £1500.00 for the land in 1975.

 

 

 

 

 

1

George Albert (always known as Albert) Hopwood standing on the right lived in Wood Lane. (See above Number 1) The gentleman seated is believed to be George’s friend Walter Mayer (See No. 48). The photograph was taken in Blackpool around 1916. George lost two brothers in the Diglake Disaster, and nine months later his mother died of a broken heart over the loss of two of her boys. George was only four years old and never really knew his mother. As a consequence, in the picture we are looking at Albert Hopwood aged about 29. (Photograph courtesy of Lisa Hopwood)

 

 

 

Fact File No. 2

 

On 12 April 1903 Peter Joynson was born, he was baptised on 2 Jul 1911; his father was Walter Joynson who was a collier. At the time the family lived here.

On 22 July 1905 Arthur Joynson was born, he was baptised on 2 Jul 1911; his father was Walter Joynson who was a collier. At the time the family lived here.

On 30 January 1908 Elsie Joynson was born, he was baptised on 2 Jul 1911; his father was Walter Joynson who was a collier. At the time the family lived here.

In 1910 Walter Joynson lived here and Abraham Joynson was the owner.

On 20 May 1911 Hilda Joynson was born, he was baptised on 2 Jul 1911; his father was Walter Joynson who was a collier. At the time the family lived here.

In 1911 Walter Joynson lived here with his wife Hannah and children; Percy, Arthur and Elsie. The property is recorded as having 4 rooms.

On 21 October 1921 Gladys the daughter of Samuel and Sarah Ellen Jones was baptised and the family were noted as living here. Samuel Jones was a collier.

On 30 May 1926 Elizabeth Riley died aged 82, at the time she was living here.

In January 1927 Samuel Jones and his daughter Gladys lived here.

On 30 May 1930 Mary Riley died aged 72, at the time she was living here.

In 1933 Samuel and Sarah Ellen Jones lived here.

On 26 April 1939 the property was scheduled for demolition under the housing act 1936.

On 29 September 1939 Joseph W. and Bertha L. Gater lived here. Joseph was a lorry motor driver born on 6 Sep 1905. Bertha Gater had unpaid domestic duties and was born 29 Jul 1909.

In 1951 Joseph W. and Bertha L. Gater together with Daniel Locket lived here.

 

Fact File No.4

 

In 1910 George Hodgkinson lived here and was the owner.

In 1911 George Hodgkinson lived here with his wife Sarah and their daughters Florence and Ada. The property is recorded as having 2 rooms.

On 1 October 1914 Florence May Hodgkinson was baptised. Her father was George Hodgkinson who was a collier and her mother was Sarah.

Sometime after September 1930 Arthur Jones and his family moved to here from 88, Apedale Road. (See Apedale Road).

In 1933 Arthur and Mercy Jones lived here.

In January 1934 Arthur Jones and his son Arthur lived here.

On 26 April 1939 the property was scheduled for demolition under the housing act 1936.

On 29 September 1939 Arthur and Mercy Jones lived here. Arthur was a coal miner/hewer and Mercy had unpaid domestic duties.

In 1951 John and Irene Withington lived here.

In November 1953 John Withington and his son David lived here.

On 22 Feb 1978 Lillian Pepper was buried aged 79, at the time she was living here.

 

1

Ada and Florrie Hodgkinson

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

George Hodgkinson

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

 

Fact File No.5

 

In 1910 Emma Henshall lived here and was the owner.

In 1911 Emma Henshall lived here with her son Thomas, daughter Annie Rowley and son in law Henry Rowley. The property is recorded as having 4 rooms.

In 1933 Thomas and Mary Henshall lived here.

On 23 June 1935 Mary Henshall died suddenly at Tom fields aged 62 from a stroke, Nick named ‘Polly’.

On 10 December 1936 Thomas Henshall of Tomfields found dead in bed, aged 59.

On 29 September 1939 George, Annie, Daniel and Harold Thornhill lived here. George was a farm labourer born 24 June 1877. Annie had unpaid domestic duties and was born 6 Sep 1875. Daniel was a coal mine hewer/worker below ground and was born 1 Sep 1904. Harold was a general labourer born 10 Nov 1914.

On 15 June 1945 Annie Thornhill died aged 69 at the time she was living here. She was the wife of George Thornhill.

In September 1947 Daniel Thornhill and his son James lived here.

In 1951 Harry W. and Eileen Burton lived here.

In April 1951 Harry Burton and his daughter Anne Elizabeth Eileen lived here.

In November 1953 Daniel Phillips and his sons John Stanley and Reginald lived here.

In June 1958 Ernest Raymond Sayers and his daughter Valerie lived here. The family had arrived from Bradwell.

 

1

On the left of this photograph is the narrow alley that led into Tomfields from Apedale Road. The large building in the centre of the picture has an Apedale Road address. Number one Tom Fields is further up the alley.

 

Fact File No.6

 

In January 1895 Alfred Hodgkinson lived here, he died in the Diglake Disaster. At the time he was aged 14 and was already the principal breadwinner for the family.

In 1910 Harriet Hodgkinson lived here and she was also the owner.

In 1911 Harriet Hodgkinson lived here with her son Walter and daughter Alice. The property is recorded as having 2 rooms.

On 4 July 1926 Ida the daughter of Joseph and Eliza Griffiths was baptised and the family were lived here. Her farther was Joseph Griffiths who was a collier and her mother was Eliza.

Sheila Griffiths, daughter of Joseph and Eliza Griffiths was born here in Dec 1930.

In March 1933 Joseph Griffiths and his daughter Ida and son Harry lived here. The family had moved to here from Burslem.

In 1933 Joseph and Eliza Griffiths lived here.

In September 1933 Joseph Griffiths and his daughter Joan lived here.

Some time before September 1934 the family moved to Chapel Street, Bignall End. However, by January 1935, they had returned.

On 26 April 1939 the property was scheduled for demolition under the housing act 1936.

On 29 September 1939 Albert and Alice M. Lovatt lived here. Albert was a coal loader - heavy work, born 6 Jan 1917. Alice M. had unpaid domestic duties.

In September 1950 William Berrisford and his daughter Hazel Mary lived here.

In 1951 William T. and Hazel I. Berrisford lived here.

On 30 September 1951 Patrick William Berrisford was born and the family were living here.

In May 1956 William Berrisford and his son Patrick William lived here.

In September 1985 Denise Tomkinson and her daughter Joanne and son Christopher lived here.

 

1

Alfred Hodgkinson. This photograph was taken while he was at school. By 14 he was the family’s principal breadwinner when he was killed in the Diglake disaster. (Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

1

Walter and Harriet Hodgkinson

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

Agnes Hodgkinson: Walter Hodgkinson’s wife. With her are their two daughters; Lois and Sarah. (Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

Fact File No.8

 

 In 1911 John H Williams was living here. He was single. The property is recorded as having 4 rooms.

In 1933 Sydney Barry and Ada Sybil Maud Hassall lived here.

On 2 September 1936 Evelyn Jane, the daughter of Sydney Barry and Ada Sybil Maud Hassall was baptised and the family were reported as living here.

On 29 September 1939 Sydney Barry and Ada Sybil Maud Hassall. Sydney was a colliery deputy - heavy work, born 2 June 1910. Ada had unpaid domestic duties and was born 6 Aug 1909.

On 11 October 1946 Sarah Eardley, aged 67, died and was reported as living here.

In 1951 William and Mary E. Berrisford lived here.

In September 1952 Robert Callwood and his son Cedric lived here, the family had arrived here from Congleton.

 

 

1

Number one Tom Fields shown shortly after the demolition of hill Top Chapel in 1966. Note that number one Apedale road has also been demolished but that the faint remains of the narrow alley can still be seen in the surviving kerbstones. (Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

Over Hills’ and ‘Hillcrest’ are both on the eastern side of Tomfields. ‘Highfield’ is on the western side almost opposite ‘Hillcrest’.

 

Fact File No.10 (also known as 'Hill View')

In 1911 George Rowley and his wife Elizabeth were living here. The property is recorded as having 2 rooms

In 1933 Mary Ann, Florrie and Arnold Smith lived here.

On 29 September 1939 John H. Williams and Mary Ann Smith lived here. John was a house/property repairer born 21 Oct 1875, while Mary had unpaid domestic duties and was born 18 July 1878.

In 1951 Mary Ann Smith and John H. Williams lived here.

 

 

 

The Mount’

In 1933 William Charles and Florence Annie Coleman lived here.

Bill Coleman was a colliery owner for all the old footrails on the southern side of the Apedale valley. His father came from Brymbo, near Wrexham to sink the ‘Brymbo’ pit.

On 29 September 1939 William Charles and Florence Annie Coleman lived here. William was a coal hewer underground - heavy work, born 29 May 1907. Florence had unpaid domestic duties and was born 2 July 1908.

In 1951 William C. and Florence A. Coleman lived here.

 

 

Over Hills’

In 1933 Lewis and Jessie May Guest lived here.

In May 1935 Jack Kesteven and his daughter Kathleen lived here.

In June 1938 Jack Kesteven and his daughter Marjorie lived here.

On 29 September 1939 George H and Annie Foster lived here. George H was a motor transport driver, born 16 Oct 1913 and Annie had unpaid domestic duties and was born 24 June 1914.

In January 1944 Arnold Smith and his son Brian lived here.

On 8 Apr 1945 John Oliver Smith was baptised. At that time he was living here.

In April 1949 Arnold Smith and his son John Charles Oliver lived here.

Brian Smith was born here.

In 1951 Arnold and Violet M. Smith lived here.

 

 

1

John Jones was known as ‘Sailor Jack’. He is seen here with Brian and John.

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

  

 

Hillcrest’

 

In April 1939 Thomas Jones and his son John Henry lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Thomas and Hannah Jones lived here. Thomas was a colliery hewer - heavy work, born 24 Sep 1907 and Hannah had unpaid domestic duties and was born on 15 Aug 1914.

On 18 February 1945 Judith Ann Jones was born here

John Jones lived here.

On 7 September 1947 Royston Keith Howell was born here.

In January 1950 Thomas Jones and his daughter Judith Anne lived here.

In 1951 Thomas and Hannah Jones lived here.

On 15 Apr 1962 Sandra Grant-Douglas was baptised. Her father was Barry, who was a miner and her mother was Beryl.

On 7 July 1963 Peter Grant-Douglas was baptised. Her father was Barry, who was a miner and her mother was Beryl.

On 24 January 1965 Paul Grant-Douglas was baptised. Her father was Barry, who worked at an R.O.F. factory and her mother was Beryl.

 

1

An old view of Tom Fields. No 42 is in the distance on the left. The man with the cart is Moses Barlow who lost a leg in a railway accident (Photo Courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

 

Mayfield’

 

On 29 September 1939 Thomas, Lily and Jean Stretton lived here. Thomas was a coal dealer's assistant, born 24 Apr 1911. Lily had unpaid domestic duties, born 25 Jan 1911 and Jean was an infant born 18 Feb 1938.  (See grave 2.7.4 - Monumental Inscriptions, Audley and District Family History Society, 3rd Edition)

In January 1943 Thomas Stretton and his daughter Jean lived here

In January 1945 Thomas Stretton and his son Raymond lived here.

In 1951 Lily and Thomas W. Stretton lived here.

Their son and daughter; Raymond and Jean lived here.

 

 

The Bungalow’

 

On 29 September 1939 Arthur Cooper lived here. Arthur was a colliery surface worker, born 20 May 1882. He was a single man.

In 1951 Arthur Cooper lived here.

 

Highfield’

 

On 29 September 1939 Enoch and Mildred I. Jones lived here. Enoch was an elementary school teacher, born 12 Mar 1904. He was also noted as being in the A.R.P. Service. Mildred had unpaid domestic duties and was born on 30 Jan 1911.

In August 1943 Enoch Jones and his son Michael lived here.

Enoch Jones lived here in 1946.

In 1951 Enoch and Mildred I. Jones lived here.

Michael Jones was born here.

On 9 January 1979 Enoch Jones was buried aged 74. At the time he was living here.

 

 

 

42 is the first house in the small terrace at the top of Tomfields that is built parallel to Apedale Road. 42 is at the eastern end and 56 at the western end.

 

Fact File No.42

 

In 1911 Daniel and Mary Riley lived here with their children, Frank, Fred, Leonard and Bernard. The property is recorded as having 4 rooms.

On 1 August 1930 Mary Riley was buried, she was 72. At the time she was living here.

In 1933 Frank, Fred, Bernard (known as ‘Kitchener’ Riley), James Leonard and Mary, lived here. Fred and Frank were twins.

On 29 September 1939 Leonard and Mary Riley lived here. Leonard was a coal miner/ hewer, born 10 Aug 1892. Mary had unpaid domestic duties and was born 5 Mar 1895.

In 1951 Leonard and Mary Riley and Lilian M. and Selwyn T. Hood lived here.

In April 1951 Selwyn Hood and his son Keith lived here.

On 5 May 1958 Leonard James Riley died aged 65. At the time she was living here.

On 14 October 1962 Lesley Anne Frost was born and the family were living here. Her father was Thomas Griffiths Frost who was a builder and her mother was Joan Eileen.

 

1

Bernard Riley

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

 

1

Daniel Riley

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

Mary Riley

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

Fred Riley. This photograph is taken at the top of Tomfields with No. 42 immediately to the left. (Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

42 is the first house in the small terrace at the top of Tomfields that is built parallel to Apedale Road. 42 is at the eastern end and 56 at the western end. (Photograph: Robert Mayer, 2015)

 

 

 

Fact File No.44

 

In 1911 Herbert W Riley was living here with his wife Elizabeth and their daughter Bertha. The property is recorded as having 4 rooms.

On 28 Aug 1913 Harold Walker Riley was baptised, his father was Herbert William who was a collier and his mother was Elizabeth Ellen.

On 17 Jun 1919 Isabel Mary Riley was born here. She was baptised on 10 July 1919. Her father Herbert was a collier and her mother was Elizabeth Ellen.

On 16 September 1925 Isabel May Riley died aged 6. At the time she was living here.

In 1933 Elizabeth Ellen and Herbert William Riley lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Elizabeth Ellen, Herbert William Riley, Annie E. and Harold W. lived here. Herbert was a retired coal miner born 25 Nov 1878. Elizabeth had unpaid domestic duties and was born 3 Dec 1881. Annie had unpaid domestic duties and was born 23 Oct 1911. Harold was a general labourer in a brick makers, born 4 July 1913.

In 1951 Elizabeth E. and Herbert W. Riley and Annie E. and Harold Riley lived here.

On 7 April 1954 Herbert William Riley died aged 75. At the time she was living here.

 

 

1

Harold Riley. He was on a ship that was torpedoed during the war. Later a brick kiln in Downing’s brick works in Chesterton collapsed on top of him.

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

1

Annie Riley who was Harold’s sister. Her sister Bertha became Bertha Gater.

(Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

Fact File No.46

In 1911 John Horne, his wife Esther and daughter Catherine May lived here. John was born in Madras. The building was reported as having 4 rooms.

In 1933 John and Esther Horne lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Ernest Mayer lived here. Ernest was a general labourer at an ironworks, born 5 Mar 1882, he was a single man.

In 1951 Ernest Mayer lived here.

On 30 June 1957 Trevor Leslie Barnett was born and the family were reported as living here. His father was Ronald Guy Barnett who was a stoker and his mother was Ivy.

In January 1961 Ronald Barnett and his son Trevor Leslie lived here.

 

 

1

John Horne in uniform. He is thought to have fought in the Boer War in a guards regiment. He was one of the founders of Wood Lane workingmen’s club. He married Esther Edge (Photograph courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

Fact File No.48

 

In 1911.Walter Mayer, his wife Esther Ann (Clutton), his daughter Lois and son Arthur lived here. The building was reported as having 4 rooms.

Walter and Esther’s son; Arthur Mayer emigrated to America and became an American citizen. He was in the British Army in WW1.

In 1933 Luther and Gladys Fryer lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Frank Riley lived here. He lived on private means, born 25 Sep 1889 he was a single man.

In 1951 George W., Florence, Frederick G., and Albert E. Dale lived here.

  

 

 

Fact File No.50

 

In 1911.Eleanor Riley and her nephew Ernest Mayer lived here. The building was reported as having 6 rooms.

In May 1932 Reuben Riley and his daughter Doreen lived here.

In 1933 Ernest Mayer and Eleanor Riley lived here.

On 6 September 1937 Eleanor Riley died aged 72.

On 29 September 1939 Reuben, Mary and Lionel Riley lived here. Reuben was a colliery fireman below ground, born 21 Nov 1888. Mary had unpaid domestic duties and was born on 14 Sep 1886. Lionel was a colliery fitter, born 11 Apr 1910.

On 8 May 1949 David Cyril Smith was born and the family were reported as living here.

In 1951 Frank, Reuben, Mary, Dennis and Mavis Riley lived here.

 

Fact File No.52 (later known as ‘Hill View’)

 

In 1911 William Thomas Platt and his wife Ada and son Kenneth William Platt (the future husband of Councillor Marion Platt) lived here. The building was reported as having 4 rooms.

On 24 February 1933, Ada Platt died at Tomfields aged 53. She was buried on 27 February 1933. She was the wife of William Thomas Platt.

In 1933 William Thomas and Kenneth William Platt lived here.

On 29 September 1939 William T. and Martha Platt lived here. William was a colliery fireman, born 20 Oct 1881. Martha had unpaid domestic duties, born 18 Feb 1893.

In 1951 William T. and Martha Platt with Marjorie and William H. Simcox lived here.

On 14 April 1965 William T Platt was buried aged 83. At the time he was living here.

In January 1966 John Roberts and his daughter Diane Ruth lived here.

The Roberts family left this property about 1972.

On 28 January 1977 Thomas Constantine was buried aged 55, at the time he was living here.

 

 

 

Fact File No.54

 

In 1911.William Bennett lived here with his grandson-in-law Bernard White and his granddaughter Florence White. The building was reported as having 6 rooms.

In 1933 George W and Florence Dale lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Ernest, Annice and Lewis Kelsall lived here. Ernest was a coal miner/hewer - heavy work, born 12 Mar 1893. Annice had unpaid domestic duties, born 24 Aug 1897. Lewis was a club steward born 29 Oct 1904.

On 23 March 1946 Michael Leslie Smith was born and the family were reported as living here.

In April 1951 Sidney Smith and his son Michael Leslie lived here.

In 1951 Ernest, Annice and Ronald L. Kelsall lived here.

In December 1961 Frederick Stanyer and his daughters Susan Mary and Patricia Peggy lived here. The family had arrived here from Stoke.

In November 1967 John Hall and his sons David Allan and Waine lived here. The family had arrived here from Boothen, Stoke.

John Hall lived here in 1968.

Samuel Cooper lived here in 1972.

In 1990 the Jackson family lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.56 (also known as 'Hill View'.)

 

In 1911.Thomas Bennett and his wife Susannah Bennett and his son in law Ernest Pryor and daughter Janet Pryor lived here. The building was reported as having 6 rooms.

In 1933 William and Bertha Hughes and William Lafford lived here.

Arthur Edward the son of William and Grace Adeline Forrester was born here in Dec 1935.

On 29 September 1939 George W and Florence Dale lived here (see No. 54). George was a colliery assistant, below ground - heavy work, born 12 Aug 1895. Florence had unpaid domestic duties, born 19 Aug 1897.

In February 1941 Harold Brain and his daughter Margaret lived here.

In June 1941 Harold Brain and his son Donovan Harold lived here.

In May 1944 the Maddox and Bourne families lived here, they had arrived from Oakhill, Trent Vale.

In July 1945 Harold Brain and his daughter Margaret and son Donovan lived here.

In 1951 Harold Brain lived here.

In 1991 - 95 the Howell family lived here.

In November 1952 John Stephen Hughes and his son John Melvyn lived here.

Donald and Margaret Brain lived her in the 1950’s and 60’s.

In September 1979 Ronald Kinnersley and his daughter Teresa Florence Eva lived here together with David Whitton and his daughter Deborah Jane, both families had arrived from Brighton.

 

 

 

Fact File No.58

 

Not reported in 1911

On 29 May 1926 Terence Broom died aged 14. At the time he was living here

Not reported in 1933

In 1936 Barbara Lena Green was born here. Her father was James Arthur who was a motor driver and her mother was Edith Ann. The family were Primitives.

Not reported in 1939.

Not reported in 1951.

 

66 and 68 are beyond the terrace and not attached at the western end.

 

 

Fact File No.66

In 1911.George Cooper and his wife Angelina and their son Arthur lived here. The building was reported as having 4 rooms.

Sheila May the daughter of James and Ettie Nixon was born here in Nov 1931.

In 1933 Thomas and Patience Broome lived here.

On 29 September 1939 John and Esther Horne lived here. (See No. 46). John was a retired miner, born 6 Sep 1874. Esther had unpaid domestic duties, born 4 Jun 1878.

On 6 March 1949 Angela Margaret Hughes was born and the family were reported as living here.

In 1951 John W. F. and Margaret E. Hughes lived here.

On 13 May 1951 Susan Lillian Hughes was born and the family were reported as living here.

In September 1951 Harry McIntosh and his son Dennis lived here.

 

  

 

Fact File No.68

 

On 10 September 1905 William Thomas Cooper was baptised, his father was John and his mother was Jessy Alice.

8 July 1909 Jane Cooper was baptised, her father was John who was a collier and her mother was Jessy Alice.

In 1911 John Cooper, his wife Jessie Alice and children Arthur, William Thomas, Henry and Jane, lived here. The building was reported as having 4 rooms.

 

By 1917 James and Elizabeth Maydew lived here:

MAYDEW Fred Rifleman 8196 1st Royal Irish Rifles died 16/8/1917 age 27. Son of James & Elizabeth 68 Tom Fields Wood Lane Audley Enlisted May 1915 in the Royal Field Artillery Commemorated at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery Belgium I.D.47

 

Elizabeth Jean the daughter of Frank and Frances May Pepper was born here in Mar 1934.

 

In 1933 William and Hannah Beech lived here.

In December 1936 John Morgan and his daughter Phyllis Ann lived here.

In December 1938 Harry McIntosh and his son Donald lived here. By May 1941 the family had left for Coventry.

In April 1939 Frank Gater and his daughter Doris lived here.

On 29 September 1939 Harry and Harriett McIntosh lived here. Harry was a coal miner working with conveyor belts, born 21 Oct 1910. Harriett had unpaid domestic duties , born 2 Aug 1913.

In 1951 Norman and Doris Smith lived here.

On 29 April 1951 Alan Smith was born and the family were reported as living here.