Wood Lane - The Changing Face of Primitive Street

Researched by Robert Mayer

 

 

Primitive Street, off Church Street, that was a cul-de-sac of twenty-three terraced houses, eleven on the south side of the road, with an extra one detached property on the north side. The odd numbered houses were in the southern row adjacent to Apedale Road. The even numbered houses were in the northern row.

Nos. 2, 4, 6 and 8 were all condemned and demolished in 1948 and the families that occupied them were relocated.

Although built before 1877, as late as 1900 Primitive Street was known as New Street. When the 1901 census was taken in March 1901 it was recorded as Primitive Street. Primitive Street was demolished around 1967/68 and the physical record has been completely erased.

Today the area has been redeveloped with council bungalows.

 

 

Fact File: No.1 Primitive Street

 

Daniel and Phyllis Hogarth lived here in March 1901. Daniel Hogarth was born in 1874/5 and married Phyllis Webb.
Daniel Hogarth lived here in 1905.
By 1910 Daniel Hogarth had moved to No.78 Apedale Road, which he owned.
James Cork lived here in 1910 when the representatives of William Platt owned the property.
James and Emma Cork and their children; Ada and Harold lived here on 2 April 1911.
In October 1922, the property was up for sale at Heywood and Sons.
Emily Gater died here on 18 March 1926, aged 64.
In May 1932 Chris Dumbil and his daughters Thelma and Violet lived here.
May Dumbil lived here in 1933.
In April 1934 Christopher Dumbil and his daughter Sheila lived here.
In November 1934, the Dumbil family left the district.
On 29 September 1939 George Sumnall lived here. He was born in 1895 and was a coal miner with a deputy examiner's certificate.
In August 1942 Bert Proctor and his daughter Nancy lived here. They had moved to here from No.4.
Herbert James and Annie Procter lived here in 1943.
In August 1943 Bert Proctor and his daughter Doris lived here.
In January 1945 Herbert Proctor and his daughter Irene May lived here.
In January 1948 Herbert Proctor and his son Herbert lived here.
In November 1950 Herbert Proctor and his daughter Margaret lived here.
Herbert J. and Annie Proctor lived here in 1951.
In December 1956 and January 1957 Seymour Rhodes and his daughters Julia Christine, Susan Ann and his son Ian lived here.

 

 

1
(Photograph Courtesy of Fred Evans)

 

Looking into Church Street from Apedale Road, in the 1960's. Immediately on the left is the Primitive Chapel. The road going off to the left where the car is parked is Primitive Street. Every property that is shown on this photograph has been demolished.

  

 

14
(Photograph R. Mayer 2009)

 

The same scene as above, in 2009. Primitive Street has become School Close and none of the properties in the previous photograph survive.

  

 

Fact File: No.2 Primitive Street

 

Frederick and Alice Healey lived here in March 1901.
Jabez Henshall and his wife Mary together with his mother-in-law Ann Statham lived there on 2 April 1911.
Ethel Durber died here, aged 31, 21 June 1924.
In January 1928 Edwin Durber and his son Collin lived here.
In January 1933 Ernest Machin and his son James Cedric lived here.
Ernest and Doris Machin lived here in 1933.
On 29 September 1939 George and Agnes Brayford lived here. George was born in 1910 and was a coal miner while Agnes was born in 1913 and had unpaid domestic duties.
Brian George Griffiths was born here 29 September 1940.
Leslie and Violet Nancy Bedson lived here in 1945.
In October 1947 Leslie Bedson and his daughter Jean lived here.
This property was condemned in 1948 and the Bedson family, who lived there at the time, had to move.

 

 

 Fact File: No.3 Primitive Street

 

Alan and Ellen White lived here in March 1901.
David Bromley lived here in 1905.
Thomas Johnson lived here in 1910 when the representatives of William Platt owned the property.
Thomas and Ann Johnson and their children; Abel, Caleb, Emma, Alice and Ann lived here on 2 April 1911.
In October 1922, the property was up for sale at Heywood and Sons.
Martha Proctor died here, aged 46, 12 April 1923.
The Nixon family were her in 1924.
Thomas and Hannah Nixon lived here in 1926.
Thomas and Eva McCready lived here from around 1928.
In April 1934 Thomas McCready and his son Clifford lived here.
On 29 September 1939 Thomas, Eva, Thomas Snr. and Clifford McCready Lived here. Thomas was born in 1902 and was a colliery loader below ground. Thomas senior was born in 1873 and was a retired miner. Eva was born in 1899 and had unpaid domestic duties while Clifford was born in 1929 and was at school.
Thomas died here in 1964. 


1
(Photograph courtesy of Chris McCready)

 

Thomas and Eva McCready (nee Dale, see No.15) lived here from around 1928 until the street was demolished. After Primitive Street was demolished Eva moved to a flat in Wedgwood Avenue, Wood Lane where she died in 1979.

 

 

1
(Photograph courtesy of Chris McCready)

 

Clifford and Joan McCready photographed in the back of No.3 Primitive Street.  Clifford lived at No.3 until his marriage to Joan in 1954. In this photograph Clifford is still wearing his whites having just returned from playing for Wood Lane CC. Detailed architectural features of the Primitive Chapel are visible in the photograph. The differing roof height of the extension is shown in the background. There are brick supports for the guttering on the main building and very ornate ridge tiles on the extension.

 

 

 

 

 

1
(Photograph Courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

The east end of Primitive Street, from the south, with the rear view of No's 1, 3 and small portion of No.5. This picture locates the picture immediately above showing that Clifford and Joan McCready were standing at the back of the recently pointed outbuilding, which is at the centre of this picture with their back to the chapel.

 

 

1
(Photograph courtesy of Fred Evans)

 

Looking into Primitive Street from Church Street in the 1960's. There is lots of interesting detail in this picture including the external, and offset, chimney breast in the end property on the right.  The first house on the right is No.10 as by the time of this photograph 2 to 8 had been demolished. The rough ground to the right indicates where they had stood. The narrowness of the street indicates that this was a pre motorcar development. The viewer will also be able to see that the properties towards the far end of the street become lower and are built in twos as the ground falls away.

 

 

Fact File: No.4 Primitive Street

 

David S. and Mary Scott Sweetmore lived here in March 1901.
George H Roberts, his wife Sarah Jane and sons Sydney and Frank lived there on 2 April 1911.
In September 1932 George Sumnall and his son Selwyn James lived here.
Harold and Kate Cork lived here in 1933.
On 29 September 1939 David and Nancy Thorne lived here. David was born in 22 Nov 1907 and was a coal miner while Nancy was born in 30 Oct 1910 and had unpaid domestic duties.
David and Nancy Thorne lived here in 1940.
In January 1940 David Thorne and his son George Alfred lived here.
In June 1940 Herbert Proctor and his daughter Betty lived here.
Herbert James and Annie Procter lived here in 1940.
In August 1940 Herbert Proctor and his daughter Betty lived here.
From here they moved to No.1.
In January 1942 John Hulse and his daughter Elizabeth lived here. The family had arrived from Broad Lane, Yorkshire.
John and Elizabeth Hulse lived here in 1945.
This property was condemned in 1948 and the Hulse family, who lived there at the time, had to move.

 

 

Fact File: No.5 Primitive Street

 

Anne Platt lived here in March 1901.
Samuel Cooper lived here in 1910 when the representatives of William Platt owned the property.
Samuel and Lydia Ann Cooper and their children; William, Doris and Ethel lived here on 2 April 1911.
John Cooper was a lodger here on lived here on 2 April 1911.
In October 1922, the property was up for sale at Heywood and Sons.
George H. and Elsie Frost lived here in 1933.
Thomas Durber and Evelyn May Robinson lived here from 1933 to 1947.
On 29 September 1939 Thomas D. and Evelyn M. Robinson lived here. Thomas was born 1 Sep 1900 and was a miner below ground while Evelyn was born 12 Nov 1912 and had unpaid domestic duties.
In September 1938 Thomas Robinson and his son Tim Vaughan lived here.
In April 1942 Thomas Robinson and his son Derek lived here.
In September 1946 Thomas Robinson and his daughter Zeta Ann lived here.
In January 1950 Thomas Robinson and his daughter Denise lived here.
Thomas D. and Evelyn M. Robinson lived here in 1951.
In January 1952 Thomas Robinson and his son Terrence lived here.

 

 

Fact File: No.6 Primitive Street

 

Philip and Eleanor Haselhurst lived here in March 1901.
No-one was resident here on 2nd April 1911.
No-one resident in 1933.
This property was condemned in 1948 and the family, who lived there at the time, had to move.

 

 

Fact File: No.7 Primitive Street

 

George and Anne Chidlow lived here in March 1901.
George Chidlow lived here in 1905.
Aaron Bartlem lived here in 1910 when the representatives of William Platt owned the property. They had moved to here from No11.
Aaron and Sarah Ann Bartlem and their children; Florence, John William and Gladys May lived here on 2 April 1911.
Aaron Bartlem, who lived here, was killed in Jamage Pit, aged 50, on 13 October 1917.
In October 1922 the property was up for sale at Heywood and Sons.
Joyce, the daughter of George Steel and Florence Minnie Pointon was born here 13 May 1923.
In January 1927 Arthur Buckley and his son Raymond lived here.
George and Maria Brayford and family lived here in 1933.
On 29 September 1939 John and Ann Boughey lived here. John was born 16 Oct 1898 and was a colliery packer below ground while Ann was born 15 Oct 1893 and had unpaid domestic duties.

 

In March 1946 James Moulton and his son Arthur lived here.
In May 1946 James Moulton and his daughter Pauline Yvonne lived here.
John and Anne Boughey lived here in 1951.
Anne Boughey died here, aged 73, on 5 May 1959.

 

 

 

Fact File: No.8 Primitive Street

Joseph and Sarah Johnson lived here in March 1901.
Joseph and Sarah Johnson, their daughters Hannah Ethel and Ada and their son Arthur lived here on 2 April 1911.
No-one was resident in 1933.
This property was condemned in 1948 and the family, who lived there at the time, had to move.

 

  

1
(Photo courtesy of Albert Harrison)

 

A rare photograph of Primitive Street, looking at the backs of the properties, from Apedale Road. This photograph is from the south and interesting detail of the street can be seen.
There is an entry between the bottom two properties on the extreme left and the two immediate to their right. Judging by the position of the central chimney stack the bottom two appear to be asymmetric in size. Whereas two single-storey outbuildings can be seen the smaller property second from the bottom appears to have a two storey extension. The double chimney stacks between the properties to the right may indicate that the street was not built in one go. Similarly the central chimney stack on the property to the left is unusual.

 

 

Fact File: No.9 Primitive Street

 

Aaron and Sarah Bartlem lived here in March 1901. They had moved to No.11 by 1905.
Frank Proctor lived here in 1905.
Frank Proctor lived here in 1910 when M. Beech owned the property.
Frank and Martha Proctor and their daughter Hannah lived here on 2 April 1911.
Charlotte Colclough was a boarder here on 2 April 1911.
Was put up for sale in April 1912.
In January 1927 Arthur and his daughter Lorna Proctor lived here.
George and Sarah Hodgkinson lived here from 1933 to 1951.
On 29 September 1939 Thomas G. and Sarah Hodgkinson lived here. George (Thomas) was born 12 Aug 1878 and was a colliery surface worker/loader while Sarah was born 1 Apr 1885 and had unpaid domestic duties.

 

 

Fact File: No.10 Primitive Street

 

Samuel and Margaret Ball lived here in March 1901.
Joseph and Sarah Johnson and their children; Hannah, Ethel, Ada and Arthur lived here on 2 April 1911. 
In April 1931 Reuben Riley and his son Dennis Reuben lived here.
In May 1932 Reuben Riley and his daughter Doreen Reuben lived here.
Daniel and Sarah Johnson and Reuben and Mary Riley lived here in 1933.
William Beech lived here in July 1939.
On 29 September 1939 William and Hannah Beech lived here. William was born in 28 April 1886 and was a coal miner while Hannah was born in 5 July 1888 and had unpaid domestic duties. Daniel Statham(?) also lived here. He was a boiler house attendant and was born on 27 May 1900.

Daniel Johnson and William Beech and family lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.11 Primitive Street

Aaron Bartlem lived here in 1905. See No.9. By 1910 they had moved to No.7.
Henry Dale lived here in 1910 when M. Beech owned the property.
Henry Dale, his mother Amy Statham, his sister Esther Lomas, his children; Evelyn, Hannah and Henry and his nephew Ernest Lomas all lived here on 2 April 1911.
Was put up for sale in April 1912.
In September 1933 George Edge and his daughter Cynthia May here.
George Henry and Ada Edge lived here from 1933 to 1951.
On 29 September 1939 George H. and Ada Edge lived here. George was born 13 Dec 1906 and was a miner/face ripper below ground while Ada was born 20 Sep 1907 and had unpaid domestic duties. George Edge was an ARP Warden.
In September 1957 Dennis Riley and his daughter Anne lived here.

 

 

Fact File: No.12 Primitive Street

 

Enoch and Emma Jepson lived here in March 1901.
Charles Cork lived here in 1905.
Charles and Emma Cork and their children; William, Elizabeth, Albert, Charles, Eva and George lived here on 2 April 1911.
By 1927 Charles Cork had moved to No.88 Apedale Road.
John Swingewood died here, aged 60, on 12 March 1929.
In June 1930 Joseph Gater and his son Daniel Henry lived here.
Joseph and Evangeline Gater and family lived here in 1933.
In August 1934, the Gater family moved to Audley.
In April 1937 George Brayford and his sons John and George lived here.
In June 1937, the Brayford family had left the district.
In May 1938, the family returned and George Brayford and his sons John and George lived here.
In May 1939 George Brayford and his daughter Joan lived here.
On 29 September 1939 George, Eleanor and Maria lived here. George was born in 24 June 1893 and was a coal miner while Eleanor was born in 1 July 1903 and had unpaid domestic duties. Maria was born 19 Sep 1857 and had unpaid domestic duties.
In September 1944 Ernest Day and his daughters Sheila Glory and Sylvia May returned to Edgware from here, probably evacuees.
In April 1948 Arthur Yearsley and his daughter Margaret lived here.
Edmund and Ellen Durber lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.13 Primitive Street

 

John and Harriet Dodd lived here in March 1901.
John Dodd senior lived here in 1905.
John Dodd lived here in 1910 when the property was owned by George Downes.
John and Harriet Dodd lived here on 2 April 1911. 
Sarah and Bertha Eardley lived here in 1933.
Bertha Eardley died here, aged 27, on 4 July 1933.
On 29 September 1939 Sarah A. Eardley lived here. Sarah was born 6 Mar 1880 and had unpaid domestic duties.
In June 1947 William Bason and his daughter Marie Josephine lived here.
Sarah A. Eardley lived here in 1951 and was still here in 1965 when, with demolition imminent she said: 'It is a problem moving at my age (85). One of my neighbours has already gone. I shall miss my neighbours. She said how much she would miss the wonderful view; in winter it's not so good, but in the summer, it more than repays you. The meals-on-wheels people who come here always comment on it. I shall just have walls to look at.'

 

Fact File: No.14 Primitive Street

 

Enoch and Annie Whalley lived here in March 1901.
William White lived here in 1905.
William and Lizzie White and their children; Reginald J., Gertrude and Doris lived here on 2 April 1911.
George and Gladys Sumnall lived here in 1933.
On 29 September 1939 George W (Sen), George W (Jun), Ray and Mary A. Betton lived here. George (Sen) was born in 4 Feb 1891 and was a coal miner while Eleanor was born in 21 Feb 1893 and had unpaid domestic duties. George (Jun) was born 27 Sep 1924 and was a colliery haulage hand. Ray was at school being born 15 Apr 1932. (See No.16, the family had been long term residents at No 16)
In September 1940 Harry McIntosh and his daughter Valerie lived here.
In May 1941, the McIntosh family had moved to Coventry.
Jennifer Ann Otter was born here on 5 June 1949.
Arthur and Megan Lawler and Jean M Bromage lived here in 1951.

 

1
Arthur and Megan Lawler (Photograph courtesy of Jenna Higgs)

 

In January 1952 Arthur Lawler and his son John Arthur lived here. In September 1953 Arthur Lawler and his son Dennis Roy lived here. Stewart James Lawler was born here on 18 July 1954. Diane Megan Lawler was born here on 17 March 1957. In April 1959 Arthur Lawler and his son Stewart James lived here. Christopher Johnson was born here on 15 October 1961.

 

 

 

Fact File: No.15 Primitive Street

 

John and Hannah Dodd lived here in March 1901. John Dodd junior lived here in 1905. John Dodd lived here in 1910 when George Downes owned the property. John and Hannah Dodd and their hildren, Eva and Ada lived here on 2 April 1911.
Elizabeth Dale died at number 15 Primitive Street in 1913, aged 44.
Ephraim and Bertha Dale lived here in 1921.
Samuel and Selina Dale lived here in 1933. See No.22. Samuel Dale was a Methodist Minister.
Thelma the daughter of John and Mary Beatrice Dale was born here in Aug 1934.
On 29 September 1939 Samuel and Selina Dale lived here. Samuel was born 26 Oct 1868 and was a retired colliery worker while Selina was born 10 Apr 1869 and had unpaid domestic duties.
Samuel Dale, the husband of Selina died here, aged 75, on 17th December 1943.
1
(Photograph courtesy of Chris McCready)

 

Samuel and Elizabeth Dale (nee Brindley). They moved into number 15 Primitive Street sometime after 1911. Samuel Dale was in No 22 in 1910. Standing between Samuel and Elizabeth is Ephraim Dale.  Samuel Dale was a local Methodist preacher. The girl leaning against Samuel is Eva Dale, (see entry in No.3). The girl sitting on Elizabeth's knee is believed to be Lizzie Dale. The Photograph is pre 1913.

 

 

Fact File: No.16 Primitive Street

Richard and Elizabeth Wade lived here in March 1901.
Richard Wade lived here in 1905.
Richard and Elizabeth Wade and their children; George, Kate, Jack and Emily lived here on 2 April 1911.
In September 1930 Joseph Breeze and his son Philip lived here. After this date the family moved to 108, Apedale Road. (See Apedale Road)
In January 1932 George Betton and his son George William lived here. The family came from Bilesthorpe, Notts.
In April 1932 George Betton and his daughter Audrey lived here.
Roy, the son of George William and Mary Alice Betton was born here on 12 May 1932.
George William and Mary Alice Betton lived here in 1933.
In March 1934 George Betton and his son Ronald lived here.
In April 1937 George Betton and his son Roy lived here.
On 29 September 1939 William E. and Lilian Bason lived here. William was born in 5 Jul 1913 and was a colliery packer, below ground while Lilian was born in 1 Aug 1918 and had unpaid domestic duties.
William Ernest and Lillian Bason lived here in 1940.
In September 1944 James Thackeray and his sons George and Terrance returned to Edgware from here, probably evacuees.
In September 1945 George Betton and his son Roy lived here.
Cissie and Walter Robinson lived here in 1951.
In April 1956 Walter Robinson and his son Raymond lived here.


1
 (Photo Courtesy of Albert Harrison) 
Cissie Robinson in 1965

 

 

Fact File: No.17 Primitive Street

 

William and Alice Woolridge lived here in March 1901.
Alice Woolridge was the owner-occupier of this property in 1910.
Alice Woolridge and her children; Frank, Luther, William Lydia and Laura lived here on 2 April 1911.
Private G/9158, Luther Woolridge, the son of Alice Woolridge of 17 Primitive Street Wood Lane Bignall End Stoke on Trent died 3/5/1917 age 22. He was in the 4th Royal Fusiliers.


1
Luther Woolridge before 1917. (Photograph courtesy of Mr. P. Jepson)

Raymond and Harold, the sons of Arthur and Lydia Buckley who lived here were baptised on 12 June 1925.
Graham Arthur, the son of Arthur James and Lydia Buckley who lived here were baptised on 11 December 1927.

1
Lydia Woolridge. (Photograph courtesy of Dean Buckley).

 

In April 1920 Arthur Buckley and his son Harold lived here.
In November 1932 Arthur Buckley and his son Graham lived here.
Alice Woolridge Amos Henshall and Arthur and Lydia Buckley lived here in 1933.
Arthur James and Lydia Buckley lived here from 1934 to 1940.
In October 1938 Arthur and his daughter Laura Buckley lived here.
On 29 September 1939 Arthur J., Lydia and Harold Buckley lived here. Arthur was born 8 Mar 1897 and was a musician in a works band and a house painter while Lidia was born 4 Dec 1899 and had unpaid domestic duties. Harold was born in Mar 1920 and was an apprentice miner.
In January 1945 Arthur Buckley and his daughter Christine lived here.
In September 1945 Arthur Buckley and his daughter Christine lived here.

1
Arthur James Buckley (Photograph courtesy of Dean Buckley).

Arthur James Buckley died here, aged 48, 24 March 1945.
George and Lydia Sumnall and family lived here in 1951. Lydia continued to live here until at least 1965. Having been born here in 1899 she spent 64 years living here having been married twice and raising four sons and three daughters.

1
Lydia Sumnall in 1965.
 (Photo Courtesy of Albert Harrison) 

In 1965 and with the prospect of demolition of the street imminent, Lydia said: 'This is my home. I have always lived within the smoke of this chimney.' When commenting on the view from the back, she said: 'Just look at that view; isn't it marvellous?'

 

 

Fact File: No.18 Primitive Street

 

William and Sarah Jepson lived here in March 1901.
M Dean lived here in 1910 when Enoch Whalley owned the property.
Mark and Hannah Dean lived here on 2 April 1911.
Mark Dean died here 28 March 1920.
Gordon, the son of Harry and Edith Mason was born here 6 March 1921.
In September 1928 John Wade and his son Ronald lived here.
In February 1936 William Herbert Webb and his daughter Rosalind Greta lived here.
John and Sarah Wade lived here in 1930.
Herbert and Irene Webb lived here in 1933.
In August 1939, the Webb family went to live in Bignall End.
On 29 September 1939 Herbert and Irene Webb and George Haywood lived here. Herbert was born 27 Mar 1902 and was a colliery surface worker/labourer while Irene was born 15 Sep 1910 and had unpaid domestic duties. George Haywood was born 13 Feb 1907 and was a colliery haulage hand.
In August 1941 Jack Henshall and his son Cyril lived here.
In September 1945 James Tweddle and his daughter Margaret lived here. In late September, the Tweddle family had returned to Hanley.
John V. and Rachel Ratcliffe lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.19 Primitive Street

 

John and Hannah Austin lived here in March 1901.
Wilmot Taylor lived here in 1905.
Eli Henshall lived here in 1910 when the property was owned by Jessie Taylor.
Arthur and Betsy Burton and their children; Leonard and John William lived here on 2 April 1911.

1
Albert Heath, known as Jack. This is 21st birthday. He married Ada after her husband Arthur died and left 3 children Megan, Ethel and Bryan my dad. They went on to have John and Barbara. (Photograph courtesy of Dawn Myatt).

 

William and Beatrice Gallimore boarded here on 2 April 1911.
Arthur and Elizabeth Proctor lived her in 1918.
In March 1927 Arthur Proctor and his daughter Kathleen Edith lived here.
In September 1928 Arthur Proctor and his daughter Mary lived here.
Herbert Proctor lived here in 1929.
Arthur and Elizabeth Proctor and family lived here in 1933.
In August 1941 Albert Heath and his son Bryan lived here.
In September 1941 Albert Heath and his daughter Barbara lived here.
Albert and Ada Heath lived here in 1945. 

                                     
1
Ada Heath (left) with Jean Millington (right) in Primitive Street. (Photograph courtesy of Dawn Myatt)

 

In June 1949 Albert Heath and his son John Albert lived here.
Albert and Ada Heath and James B. Myatt lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.20 Primitive Street

 

Ralph and Annie Johnson lived here in March 1901.
Thomas Johnson lived here in 1905.
Arthur Leech lived her in 1910 when E. Johnson owned the property.
Arthur and Sarah Jane Leech and their children; Herbert, Arthur and Daisy lived here on 2 April 1911.
The Beech family lived here in 1923.
Richard a Harriet Jones lived here in 1926.
In September 1930 Richard Jones and his daughter May Jones lived here.
In September 1934 Richard Jones and his son Len Jones lived here.
After this date the family moved to 118, Apedale Road (See Apedale Road).
Richard and Harriet Jones lived here in 1933.
Samuel and Mary Elizabeth Powis lived here in 1937.
In November 1938 David Thorne and his son Maurice David lived here.
On 29 September 1939 Ronald A., Mercy M. and Doreen lived here. Ronald was born 23 Apr 1912 and was an underground miner while Mercy was born 22 Jun 1915 and had unpaid domestic duties. Doreen was born 1 Jan 1938 and was an infant.
In August 1940, the Thorne family moved to Chesterton.
In August 1942 Roland and his daughter Doreen Cork lived here.
In February 1943 Roland and his daughter Doreen Cork lived here.
Roland A. and Mercy M. Cork lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.21 Primitive Street

 

Thomas and Anne Johnson lived here in March 1901.
Daniel Durber lived here in 1905.
Enoch Durber lived here in 1910 when Jessie Taylor owned the property.
Thomas and Rose Austin and their children; Joseph, Annie and Thomas lived here on 2 April 1911.
Hannah Austin boarded here on 2 April 1911.
In July 1930 William Boulton and his daughter Sylvia Lorraine lived here.
In September 1931 William Boulton and his son Gordon William lived here.
William Henry James and Hilda Boulton lived here in 1931.
Henry and Hilda Boulton lived here in 1933.
In May 1933 William Boulton and his son Geoffrey lived here.
In July 1936 William Boulton and his daughter Cynthia lived here.
In April 1937 William Boulton and his daughter Lorraine lived here.
In October 1938 the Boulton family went to live in Sneyd.
In September 1945 George Griffiths and his son Brian George lived here.
George W. and Emily Griffiths lived here in 1951.

 

 

Fact File: No.22 Primitive Street

 

David and Martha Bromley lived here in March 1901.
In 1910 Samuel Dale lived here and E. Johnson owned the property.
Samuel and Elizabeth Dale, their sons Ephraim, John and Samuel and their daughters Eva, Amy and Elizabeth lived here on 2 April 1911. This family eventually moved to No.15.
George Henry Joynson, the son of Abraham and Hannah Joynson was born here 9th May 1926.
In April 1927 Joseph Breeze and his son Eric lived here.
Frederick and Jennie Johnson lived here in 1933.
Herbert James and Annie Procter lived here in 1935.
In September 1937 John William Birks and his son Gerald lived here.
In January 1938 John William Birks and his son Derrick lived here.
In March 1938, the Birks family went to live in Talke.
On 29 September 1939 John T. and Frances R. Skerratt lived here. John was born 27 May 1907 and was a coal miner while Frances was born 12 Oct 1909 and had unpaid domestic duties.
John Thomas and Frances Rose Skerratt lived here from 1941 to 1946.
In February 1941 John Skerratt and his daughter Doreen lived here.
In September 1945 John Skerratt and his son John lived here.
Benjamin and Vera Pattison lived here in 1947.
In April 1947 Ernest Dale and his daughter Joan lived here.
Ernest and Gladys Dale and Arthur Heath lived here in 1951.
In May 1957 Ernest Dale and his daughter Elaine lived here.
In May 1964 Arthur Lawler and his daughter Diane Megan lived here.

 

 

Fact File: No.24 Primitive Street

 

Joseph Nixon lived here in 1910 and E. Johnson owned the property
Joseph and Betsy Ann Nixon and their children; Frank, May, Bertha, Jack, Hannah Joyce and George lived here on 2 April 1911.
Joseph and Betsy Nixon lived here in 1933.
In September 1938 Harold Brain and his daughter Margaret lived here.
In January 1939 Margaret Brain went to live with her grandmother in Trentham.
In September 1939 Margaret returned and Harold Brain and his daughter Margaret lived here.
On 29 September 1939 Harold and Mary Brain lived here. Harold was born 3 Dec 1913 and was a heavy work pottery worker while Mary was born 15 May 1910 and had unpaid domestic duties.
In November 1943 John Skerratt and his son Frederick William lived here. (but see No. 22)
In September 1945 John Skerratt and his son William John lived here.
Frances R. Skerratt and John T. Skerratt lived here in 1951.