Wood Lane - The Changing Face of High Street

Researched by Robert Mayer

 

High Street was the second area to be developed in Wood Lane after Apedale Road.

 

By the late 1830’s a row of houses ran along the west side of the present High Street at it’s southern (Apedale Road) end. It terminated in a Methodist Chapel built in 1835 and so was know as Chapel Street during the 19th century. (Victoria County History, Volume XI, p 26)

 

High Street 1837

A fragment of the 1837 Tithe Map of Wood Lane, showing the early development on the west side of High Street.

 

Megacre Lane originally linked the settlement of Wood Lane to Bignall Hill Road, and was a narrow track until after 1850. The Wood Lane end was built upon gradually, including three successive Wesleyan chapels in 1835, 1860 and 1882.

Probably after the building of the original chapel the Wood Lane end of Megacre Lane became known as Chapel Street. The 1891 Census refers to what is now High Street as Megacre Lane.

Stan Brassington states that this end of the lane became High Street by 1895. (Stan Brassington, More Audley Street Names, Audley Historian, Vol. 3). This is however doubtful. The Ordnance Survey map of 1900 refers to the street as Chapel Street and as late as 1905, the Electoral Register of that year refers to the street as Chapel Street. (See No. 20 for a 1904 record). The Street was still referred to as Chapel Street as late as 1911 (See No’s. 5 and 14 for 1911 records).

 

In the 1910 Land Tax; High Street, Wood Lane was recorded under the names of High Street, Wesley Street and Bignall End, implying the name change had only recently occurred.

 

In the mid 1970's (No.15 still occupied in 1975 and No.39 still occupied in 1976) the west side of High Street was demolished. The land remained empty for about ten years when it was re developed. (No.15 re-occupied in 1987 and No.21 re-occupied in 1988).

 

 

 

Fact File No.1

 

There is no historical record of this property

 

Church Street Map1

The 1877 map of Wood Lane showing that the west side of what was then known as Megacre Lane had been completely developed. On the east side, only No. 24 onwards had been built.

 

 

 

img298

High Street circa 1960. Both sides of High Street are shown as fully developed.

 

  

Fact File No.2

 

Jabez and Frances Moores and their son Percy lived here on 31st March 1901.

Jabez Moores lived here in 1905. He married Frances Warburton, the sister of Edgar Warburton (See No.4), in 1899.

In 1910 Jabez Moores lived here. The property was owned by Adam Warburton and was recorded as a house and shop. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Frances Moores died while the family were living here in April 1912.

Ruth Ela Roberts was born here in February 1913. Her parents were Charles Reginald and Agnes Nancy Roberts.

 

This corner shop was a butcher in December 1915 and up for sale in the occupation of Roberts a Butcher. (Staffordshire Advertiser, 4th December 1915)

 

John Reginald Roberts was born here in August 1916 her parents were Charles Reginald and Agnes Nancy Roberts.

In October 1927 Frederick Arrowsmith and his daughter Marjory lived here.

In February 1928 Frederick Arrowsmith and his son John lived here.

In 1933 Frederick and Sarah Arrowsmith lived here.

In 1936 Miss Daisy Leach was a draper here.

In October 1942 Thomas Crabb and his son Ronald lived here, they had arrived from Liverpool. On the same day Anthony O'Hagan and his daughter Dorothy also lived here, they had arrived from Wavertree. The families appear to be evacuees.

In August 1943 Thomas Crabb and his son Peter Sidney lived here.

In March 1944 Harry Lippett and his daughter Jean Agnes lived here.

Robert John Lippett was born here in February 1948.

Christine Marion Crabb was born while living here in October 1948. The Crabbs were evacuees that had been bombed out of Liverpool. The property was a house by this time.

In 1951 Nancy E.E. Crabb lived here.

After the Crabbs Mr and Mrs Doug. Brookes lived here.

In 1961 Cyril and Gladys M. Bloor lived here.

There were two metal advertisements over the door. One was for Coleman’s Mustard.

 

Fact File No.3

 

George and Betsy Ann Nixon and their children: Frank and Mary lived here on 31st March 1901

Arthur Brereton lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Fred Healey was the lived here and Frederick Rhodes owned the house.  The address was given as High Street.

Frederick and Alice Healey and their children: Mary Ann, Florence, Elsie and Gladys lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having two upstairs and two downstairs rooms.

In 1933 Frederick William Rhodes lived here

In 1951 Arthur and Nellie Joynson lived here.

In 1961 Arthur and Nellie Joynson lived here.

In April 1992 the Ector family lived here.

In September 1993 the Ector family lived here.

 

Wood%20Lane%20-%20Chapel%20Street

 This view of High Street in about 1920 shows only the Sunday school at centre left. The, out of view, Wesleyan Methodist chapel is in the centre of the houses to the right. The Sunday school shown here was built in 1835 as a chapel. It was replaced in 1855. After 1875 it became a Sunday school. (Photograph: T.Wareham)

 

Fact File No.4

 

Martha Durber, a widow, and her children: Mildred and Audrey and her brother and sister in law: Wilmot and Janet and her nephew John lived here on 31st March 1901.

Edgar Warburton lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Edgar Warburton lived here. The property was owned by Adam Warburton and was recorded as a house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Edgar Warburton died here on 9 Feb 1911 when it was referred to as Chapel Street.

Edgar and Bertha Ann Warburton and their children: Gladys and Elaine lived here on 2nd April 1911. At the time the building was reported as having 4 rooms.

In 1933 John and Joseph Eardley lived here together with Cyril and Gladys M. Bloor and Henry W. Eardley.

In May 1937 Cyril Bloor and his son Douglas lived here.

In April 1938 Cyril Bloor and his son Douglas lived here.

In 1951 John Eardley and Cyril and Gladys M. Bloor lived here.

In 1961 George H. Haywood lived here.

George Henry Heywood lived here in May 1964.

Nicholas Michael Turner was born here in October 1968. His parents were Michael and Lynn Turner.

  

Fact File No.5

 

George and Ann Rhodes and their children: David, Phyllis, Flora, George L. and Frank lived here on 31st March 1901

Samuel Cooper lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Frederick Rhodes lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Frederick William and Annie Elizabeth Rhodes and their children: John William, Arthur Ernest, Percy Arnold and Louis Henry lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

Adam Warburton died while living here in February 1911.The recorded address is Chapel Street.

In 1933 Frank, Ada and Thomas Symms lived here. Frank Symms was a miner. He should have been in the Diglake disaster but was ill on the day and didn’t go into work.

Frank Symms died while living here in December 1934.

In 1951 Ada and Thomas Symms lived here.

In 1961 Ada and Thomas Symms lived here.

Thomas Simms lived here in May 1971.

In December 1972 George Hall and his son John lived here.

In April 1974 George Hall and his daughter Sarah Jane lived here.

 

Fact File No.6

 

Ernest and Hannah Sproston lived here on 31st March 1901

Ernest Sproston lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Ernest Sproston lived here. The property was owned by Adam Warburton and was recorded as a house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Ernest and Hannah Sproson and their cousin William Fryer lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

David Rhodes lived here on 14 Nov 1916 when he enlisted to fight in WW1 at the age of 41.

On one occasion he was late back to the barracks and he was fastened to a wheel for three days. His wife Mary Ellen Rhodes used to clean the step into the Co-op in Apedale road which was a mosaic. (See No. 104, Apedale Road)

In 1933 Ann, David, George and Mary Ellen Rhodes lived here.

In 1951 David and Mary Ellen Rhodes lived here.

Mary Ellen Rhodes lived here in August 1955.

In 1961 David Rhodes lived here.

 

 

Wood Lane July 2012 001

High Street, Wood Lane in 2012 (Photograph R.Mayer)

 

Fact File No.7

 

No historical record of this property

  

Fact File No.8

 

Adam and Hannah Warburton (née Sherwin) and their children: Noel, Edgar and William, together with a servant: Annie Cooper lived here on 31st March 1901.

George Moores lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Adam Warburton lived here. The property was owned by Adam Warburton and was recorded as a house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Hannah Warburton, a widow, lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In September 1929 Fred Symms and his daughter Beryl Baker.

In 1932 Fred Symms was a fried fish dealer here. The Symms came from Forsbrook and Fred was also both a driver and a booking agent for the P.M.T. His wife ran the shop.

In 1933 Fred and Winifred Sims lived here.

In 1936 Fred Symms was a grocer here. It was a front room type shop that sold sweats and cigarettes as well as general grocery.

In 1940 Fred Symms was a grocer here.

In 1951 Fred, Winifred E. and Beryl B. Symms lived here.

In February 1954 Francis (Frank) Thomas Sheldon and his son Anthony and daughter Elizabeth lived here.

 

          Mrs. Sheldon further up the High Street had a small shop which seemed to sell most

           things. (Shopping in Wood Lane in the 1950’s, Wood Lane Newsletter, Issue 11, April 2003)

 

In 1961 Frank and Lillian Sheldon lived here.

 

           Moving on further along the High Street (towards Wood Lane) I passed Sheldon’s shops

           on my left near the top. (Bert Proctor; A Tour Of Old Wood Lane On A Magic Carpet,

           Wood Lane Newsletter Spring 2008)

 

After the Sheldons were the Walkers, who were Catholics.

Ian Massey bought the property about 1972 and turned it into a house.

In September 1981 Ian Massey and his son Christopher Barry lived here.

In April 1985 Ian and Joan Massey and their son Darren lived here.

.

Fact File No.9

 

Thomas and Ann Roberts lived here on 31st March 1901

Alfred Brereton lived here in 1905.

In 1910 William Shaw lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as High Street.

William and Emma Shaw lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having three rooms.

Percy Harrison was married while living here in 1924.

In August 1927 Charles Heath and his son Graham lived here.

In 1933 Charles and Gertrude Ann Heath lived here. Their son, Graham, became the head at Wood Lane School. (See just below No. 21, Apedale Road)

In 1951 Charles and Gertrude Ann Heath lived here.

In 1961 Charles and Gertrude Ann Heath lived here.

 

Fact File No.10

 

George and Sabina Moores and their children: Annie, Nellie, Hannah and Arthur lived here on 31st March 1901.

David Durber lived here in 1905

In 1910 Wilmot Fryer lived here. The property was owned by George Moores and was recorded as a house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Wilmot and Agnes Fryer and their children: Frederick J., Luther, Edith, Leslie, Mary Jane, Abraham, Alfred and Wilmot lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1933 Agnes, Wilmot, Wilmot Elias and Arthur Fryer lived here.

In 1951 Harold and Gladys Large lived here.

In 1961 Cyril and Mary R. Durber lived here.

In January 1970 John Arthur Hinks and his daughter Karen Elizabeth lived here.

In July 1972 James Lindop and his son David John lived here.

In September 1972  John Hinks and his daughter Jennifer lived here.

In September 1982 Dennis Rose and his daughter Carla.

In September 1989 the Simpson family lived here.

In April 1992 the Simpson family lived here.

 

Wood%20Lane%20-%20Chapel%20Street%202007

In 2007 the street name has gone and it is now High Street. The chapel still stands and is in use, but the Sunday school and other old buildings previously at left, have all gone. (Photograph: R.Mayer)

 

Fact File No.11

 

Frederick and Edith Brereton and the great nephew William Fryer lived here on 31st March 1901.

Thomas Sims lived here in 1905.

In 1910 John Horton lived here. The representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as High Street.

John and Frances Anne Horton lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having three rooms.

In 1933 Ann Frances and John Horton lived here.

John Horton died while living here in July 1937.

In 1951 Sydney and Marjorie Woolley lived here.

In 1961 Leonard and Peggy M. Cookson lived here. Peggy was Graham Heath’s sister. (See No. 9) Leonard Cookson was a very well respected local preacher and councillor.

In March 1961 Leonard Cookson and his son Roger Charles lived here. About this time the family moved to 'Brookfield', Megacre.

Ian Michael Baker was born here in September 1966. His parents were Mansell John and Christine Baker.

Mansell and Christine Baker moved to 24 Wesley Street before January 1971. (See Wesley Street)

 

Fact File No.12

 

Ann Webb, a widow, and her children: William, John and Lavinia and her grandson: Harry Edwards lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Daniel Durber lived here. The property was owned by George Moores and was recorded as a house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Keyia Nixon, a widow, and her children William and Jemima lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

Clement Sumnall the son of Thomas and Bertha Annie Sumnall were born here in September 1916.

Jane Sumnall the daughter of Thomas and Bertha Annie Sumnall was born here in September 1916.

Benjamin Sumnall the son of Thomas and Bertha Annie Sumnall was born here in November 1919.

In October 1925 Daniel Durber died while living here, he was 68.

In September 1930 Reuben Poole and his daughter Margaret lived here.

In January 1931 Arthur Poole and his son Arthur lived here.

In September 1932 Arthur Poole and his daughter Eileen lived here

In 1933 Arthur and Miriam Poole lived here.

In 1933 Ethel G. and Daniel Madew lived here.

In September 1938 Harold Large and his daughter Brenda lived here.

In 1961 Harry and Doreen Hughes lived here. They had a daughter called Joyce and a son called Leslie.

 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/550334_10200352414467609_1237966919_n.jpg?oh=8693904720447fa9e73aab0aa381a11d&oe=5172329B&__gda__=1366495603_903552fd02c705a7bb5fd9fd9a133f97

This photograph taken at the back of No.15 shows Mary Jane Rhodes on the left (See No.15) and Lillian Pepper on the right (See No.13.) (Photograph courtesy of Pam Stephenson)

 

 

Fact File No.13

 

Samuel and Lydia A. Cooper and their son William lived here on 31st March 1901.

Frederick Brereton lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Frederick Brereton lived here and John Sims owned the house. The address was recorded as High Street.

Frederick and Hannah Turner and their daughter Vera Winifred lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms. Fred refers to High Street as Chapel Street implying that he had lived in the street for some time.

In August 1926 Frederick Pepper and his son Ray lived here.

In 1933 Frederick and Lillian Pepper lived here.

Fred & Elisha Pepper 13, High St., Wood Lane, Bignall End, Stoke-on-Trent owned the mines known as Hall Field No.1 and No.2 in Apedale, in 1945. It was located in the fields just below the Apedale Estate School.

In 1951 Frederick and Lillian Pepper and Irene W. and Donald F. Scott lived here.

In 1961 Frederick and Lillian Pepper lived here.

Frederick Pepper lived here in December 1961.

  

Fact File No.14

 

Abraham and Clara Johnson and their children: Alfred, James, Frances and Arthur lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Abraham Johnson lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Lillian the daughter of Abraham and Clara Johnson was born here 1 January 1911.

Abraham and Clara Johnson and their children: Alfred, Frances, Arthur, Kate and Lilian lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In 1933 Abraham and Clara Johnson lived here.

Clara Johnson lived here in June 1935.

Raymond Kenneth Sanders was born here in June 1947. He worked at Rolls Royce.

In 1951 Kenneth J. and Mary W. Sanders and Frederick and Alice Lowe lived here.

In April 1952 Kenneth Sanders and his son Raymond lived here.

In 1961 Frederick and Alice Lowe and Frank Hopwood lived here. They had a daughter called Mary.

Frank Hopwood lived here in March 1970.

In April 1991 the Shaw family lived here.

 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/547350_10200352408867469_1885139446_n.jpg?oh=91c119bace9f0982f34df48ee65aefa5&oe=5171FF0B&__gda__=1366464483_37404079d4b28e7c49632e788948246b

The house behind the car and to the immediate left of the concrete lamp post is No.15. To the left is No.13 of Mr and Mrs Pepper. To the right is No. 17 of Mrs Lowe. Note that the three visible door lintels are all different. Although attached the brickwork of No's 13 and 15 look different. Compare the lintels with the 1920's photograph earlier in the article. See the blue firebrick pavement.(Photograph courtesy of Pam Stephenson)

  

Fact File No.15

 

Aldred and Martha Brereton and their son Frederick lived here on 31st March 1901.

Thomas Roberts lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Kezia Nixon lived here and John Sims owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

William B. and Emily Clarke and their mother in law Jane Billington lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

Cyril the son of John and Mary Jane Rhodes was born here August 1926

In January 1927 John Rhodes and his son Dennis lived here. Millicent the daughter of John William and Mary Jane Rhodes was born here September 1927

In January 1930 John Rhodes and his daughter Valda lived here.

In June 1931 John Rhodes and his son Cyril lived here.

In September 1932 John Rhodes and his daughter Millicent lived here

In 1933 John William and Mary Jane Rhodes lived here. John W. played the organ in the Wesleyan Chapel, High Street.

In 1951 John W., Mary J., Arnold, Cyril and Millicent Rhodes lived here.

In 1961 John W., Mary J. and Arnold Rhodes lived here.

John William Rhodes lived here in March 1965. John William Rhodes was a painter and worked for McEllins.

Mary Jane Rhodes lived here in February 1975.

In September 1987 the Moss family lived here.

 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/37020_10200352409467484_1597227325_n.jpg?oh=9630a3b1fe9bbd9ddaa1cef254fcdf0a&oe=5172608F&__gda__=1366475773_f49ca1a158ffda058aceb54af5993ee0

The back of No.15. Pam Stephenson writes; 'Mary Rhodes is in the middle and John William Rhodes to the right Great Aunty Lizzie on far left my Aunty Val and my two cousins.' (Photograph courtesy of Pam Stephenson)

  

Fact File No.16

 

Isaac and Alice Durber and their children: Leonard, John R., and his wife Elizabeth and their son Isaac lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 John Riley Durber lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

John R. and Eliza Durber and their children: Isaac and Leonard lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In 1933 Eliza, Isaac C. and John Riley Durber lived here.

John Riley Durber lived here in October 1934.

In 1951 Isaac Charles and Elsie Durber lived here.

In 1961 John and Jenny Deakin lived here. They then moved into a bungalow in Apedale Road going down to the Woodhouse Farm. (See ‘the Coopers Bungalow’, Apedale Road)

In September 1963 Mavis Reale and Phillipo Giovanni, Maria Grace and Sapper Silvio lived here. The family had moved here from Gnosall.

In April 1965 Mavis Reale and her son Francisco William lived here.

In January 1968 Mavis Reale and her son Stephen Silvio lived here.

In March 1969 Mavis Reale and her son Francisco William lived here.

Sarah Jane Berks lived here in February 1972.

In January 1998 the Forrester family lived here.

 

High Street

A Thomas Wareham Photograph of circa 1920. The 1882 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is centre right while the tall gable end to the left is the 1855 chapel, which eventually became the Sunday school. The house to the immediate right in No.20. After the chapel the sequence of house numbering to the right starts with No. 24. The properties, out of site but immediately to the left are No’s 19 and 21.

 

Fact File No. 17

 

John and Hannah Cooper lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 George Rhodes lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

George and Ann Rhodes and their children: David, George Leonard and Frank lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having two upstairs and two downstairs rooms.

Hilda, the daughter of Richard and Harriet Jones was born here April 1923.

In 1933 Arthur and Angelina Cooper lived here.

Angelina Cooper died here in 1933, aged 81.The Wife of George Cooper.

In 1951 Alice Lowe lived here. Her son became a well known singer.

In 1961 Alice Lowe lived here.

Christopher Melvin Rainbow was born here in November 1965. His parents were Melvyn John and Margaret Rainbow.

 

Fact File No. 18

 

Alfred and Lillie Williams and their son: Alfred lived here on 31st March 1901.

Alfred Williams lived here in 1905

In 1910 James Henry Tomkinson lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

James Henry and Sarah Tomkinson and their children: Sarah Ann, Gertrude, Hilda and Cecil lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1933 Emma and James Henry Cork and Amos and William Henry Hopwood lived here.

In 1951 James H. and Emma Cork and Amos Hopwood lived here. Emma drowned herself in Apedale.

In September 1959 George Clutton and his son Garry lived here.

In 1961 George A. and Margaret R. Clutton lived here.

In April 1962 George Clutton and his daughter Carol lived here.

In January 1967 George Clutton and his daughter Janet lived here.

They lived here from 1953 to 1985 and then moved to No.30 Wesley Street. (See no. 30 Wesley Street)

In September 1987 the Doyle family lived here.

In January 1995 the Heath family lived here.

In September 1995 the Heath family lived here.

 

Fact File No.19

 

Joseph and Betsy Ann Nixon and their children: Priscilla, Mary and William lived here on 31st March 1901.

Joseph Nixon lived here in 1905. Married Betsy Anne Procter in 1892.

In 1910 Alfred Brindley lived here and Henry Shufflebotham owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Joseph and Hannah Brayford and their son Leslie lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having three rooms.

Lillian Rose May Gater, the daughter of Gladys Gater was born here in April 1930.

In 1933 Edward Henry and Sarah Craddock lived here.

In April 1935 Edward Craddock and his daughter Lilian Rosemary lived here.

Sylvia Cooper was born here in Jul 1940. Her parents were Edward Bilson and Winnie Cooper.

In 1951 Harold and Hilda Buckley lived here. Harold Buckley was a ‘self made’ man who drove a Lea Francis motorcar and founded the Central Flooring Company. Their son Arthur was killed in the Swynnerton ROF explosion.

In 1961 Thomas and Amy Sheldon lived here.

 

Fact File No. 20

 

George and Elizabeth Howell lived here on 31st March 1901.

George Howell died while living here in June 1904, on his gravestone his address is recorded as Chapel Street.

In 1910 Alfred Williams lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Alfred and Lillie Williams and their children: Alfred, Frederick W., Laura and Bernard B. lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In April 1920 Frederick Charles Turner, his wife Hannah Turner and Frederick Sidney Turner lived here.

In Mar 1922 Frederick Charles Turner, his wife Hannah Turner and John Gordon Turner lived here.

In October 1928 Arthur Symms and his son Arthur Edward lived here.

In June 1931 Arthur Symms and his son Rupert John lived here.

In 1933 Arthur and Elsie May Symms lived here.

In 1951 Hannah Hancock lived here.

In 1961 Hannah Hancock lived here. Hannah Hancock is remembered as being a very traditional lady. She had a radio with a horn on it.

Hannah Hancock lived here in January 1962.

In 1992 Andrew Phillips lived here.

 

Fact File No.21

 

David and Mary Rhodes and their children: Ehelbert, Ruth, Livinia, Albert and Rachel lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Mary Rhodes lived here and Fred Rhodes owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Reuben and Mary Riley and their son Lionel lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having three rooms.

Frederick Healey, the son of Frederick and Alice Healey was born here in July 1916.

In June 1931 Fred Arrowsmith and his daughter Emily lived here. Soon after this date they moved to 2, Apedale Road. (See Apedale Road)

In April 1933 Louise Rhodes and his daughter Olive May lived here.

In 1933 Lewis Henry and Elsie May Rhodes lived here.

In September 1937 Harry Hopewell and his daughter Joan Lillian lived here. The family had moved to this property from Shelton.

In August 1941 Thomas Crabb and his sons Alan Thomas and Ronald George lived here.

In 1951 Thomas, Mary and Peter J. Joyce and Peter Commins lived here.

In 1961 Kate Breeze lived here.

In May 1962 Philip Breeze and his daughter Elizabeth Ann lived here.

Bill Jackson lived here.

In September 1988 the Henson family lived here.

 

Wesleyan Chapel High Street

The Wood Lane Wesleyan Chapel of 1882. This chapel was closed in 2012.

 

Fact File No.22

 

Wood Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, as above built 1882.

 

Fact File No.23

 

Wood Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, as above built 1855

 

Fact File No.24

 

Alfred and Sarah Durber and their children: Lawrence Olive and Harold and a servant Edith Gibson lived here on 31st March 1901.

Albert Durber lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Amos Durber lived here and Jacob Durber owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Amos and Harriet Durber and their children: H., Frank, Albert, Hilda M., Terence, Amos and Daniel lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

Frank Durber lived here on 22 April 1918 when he enlisted to fight in WW1 at the age of 20.

In September 1928 Mrs Durber and her son Cyril lived here.

In 1933 Amos, Harriet, Amos and Dennis Durber lived here.

In September 1933 Amos Durber and his son Cyril lived here. They had previous been living in Blackpool.

In May 1937 Amos Durber and his daughter Maureen and son Frank, lived here.

Harriet Durber lived here in July 1950.

In September 1939 Frank and his son Dennis Durber lived here. They had moved to this address from Bedworth.

In 1951 Amos, Mary R., and Cyril Durber lived here.

In 1961 Harriet McIntosh lived here. The family came from Motherwell. The son was a civil engineer who worked on nuclear power stations.

  

Fact File No.25

 

Robert and Emma Symms and their children: Frances Ann, John, Fred, Albert and Robert lived here on 31st March 1901.

Robert Sims lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Arthur Brereton lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Arthur and Jane Brereton and their brother in law John Symms lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

Ernest Green was married while living here in 1927.

In March 1933 Thomas Broome and his daughter Olive and son Albert Stanley lived here. They had moved to this property from 66, Hill View but had come into the district from Binley, Coventry.

In 1933 James Frederick and Beatrice Fryer lived here.

In October 1935 Thomas Broome and his daughter June Marjory lived here.

In September 1937 Thomas Broome and his daughter Olive lived here.

In 1951 Kenneth and Winnie Bailey (nee Fryer) lived here. The family moved to Roggin Row. Kenneth Bailey was a keen cricketer.

In September 1957 Daniels Reeves lived here.

In 1961 Thomas and Hilda Glover lived here.

In April 1971 Michael Locke his sons Stephen Patrick and Julian Shawn lived here.

 

Fact File No.26

 

Jacob and Hannah Durber and their children: Lionel and Thomas and their sister in law Ann Rowley lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Jacob Durber lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Jacob and Hannah Durber and their son Thomas lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In December 1924 Hannah Durber died while living here aged 74.

In March 1925 Jacob Durber died while living here.

In January 1926 Elizabeth Pryor died while living here aged 39.

In 1933 Jacob and Winifred Durber and Albert Bell lived here.

In September 1951 Harry Rainbow and his son Melvyn lived here.

In 1951 Jacob and Winifred Durber and Gladys and Henry R. Rainbow lived here.

In September 1958 Henry Rainbow and his daughter Marilyn Yvonne lived here.

In 1961 Jacob and Winifred Durber and Gladys M. and Henry R. Rainbow lived here. Henry Rainbow drove for Burley Valley Colliery. The family came to Wood lane from Oxford and he talked with a pronounced southern accent.

In November 1962 Donald McIntosh and his son Kevin lived here.

Jacob Durber lived here in July 1966.

Winifred Durber lived here in November 1966.

In January 1973 Brian Wardle and his daughter Cheryl Ann lived here.

In September 1985 Stephen Barker and his son Gavin lived here.

In April 1989 the Barker family lived here.

In September 1993 the Wilson family lived here.

  

Fact File No.27

 

Peter and Mary Durber (was Mary Ann Tomkinson -See Woodhouse Farm) and their children: Frank, Arthur and Percy and the mother Ann Durber lived here on 31st March 1901.

Peter Durber lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Peter Durber lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

 

Peter Durber was a left back, who lived at Wood Lane, near Audley, before moving to Megacre Lane, in Audley, started his career at Stoke City.He had signed from Audley Town and played 65 times for Stoke from November 1896         to March 1898. He made his name at the then non-league Southampton after joining the Saints in May 1898. Mr Durber won the 1899 Southern League championship and then reached the FA Cup Final a year later, which Southhampton lost 4-0. At the height of his powers, Mr Durber had an England trial. Two months after the FA Cup Final defeat, Mr Durber returned for a second spell at Stoke from September 1900 to April 1901 before joining Northampton Town.

 

Peter and Mary Durber and their children: Frank, Arthur William, Percy and Emma lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms. Emma Durber married Harry Espley.

In 1933 Mary Ann Durber and Aaron and Minnie Ann Statham lived here.

Rented out by John Thomas Forster in 1940.

In August 1943 Harold Lovatt and his daughter Pauline lived here.

Owned by John Thomas Forster in 1950.

In 1951 Mary A. Durber and Lewis and Dillis Kelsall lived here.

Mary Ann Durber lived here in September 1957.

In 1961 Lewis and Dillis Kelsall lived here.

In September 1973 Frederick Avis and his daughter Caroline Annice lived here.

  

 

Uriah and Ann Clutton and their children: Abel, John and Ethel and their son in law Walter Oldenshaw and his wife Alice and Uriah’s granddaughter Florrie lived here on 31st March 1901.

Albert Clutton lived here in 1905

In 1910 Ann Clutton lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Wesley Street.

Ann Clutton, a widow, and her children: Ethel, Abel and George Ernest lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In March 1928 Mrs Clutton died while living here.

In 1933 Abigail Sarah and John William Clutton lived here.

In 1951 Harold and Cecily Lovatt lived here.

In 1961 Ian D. Y. and Edna Fraser lived here.

In January 1964 Ian Fraser and his daughter Diane Carole lived here.

In September 1964 Ian Fraser and his son Ian Kevin lived here.

In January 1961 William Kelsey moved to here from number 51, High Street.

In September 1962 Mrs E. Fraser and James Michael Edge lived here.

In January 1979 Paul Scott and his daughter Lisa lived here.

In April 1988 the Whitefoot family lived here.

In September 1990 the Higginson family lived here.

  

Fact File No.29

 

John and Harriet Durber and their children: Alfred, Frederick J., Reuben, Isaac, Jabez and Eustice lived here on 31st March 1901.

John Durber lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Thomas Sims lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Thomas and Ada Symms and their children: Frank, William Thomas and Arthur lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1933 Thomas and Gladys Ing (nee Eardley) lived here.

In September 1936 Thomas Ing and his son Cedric lived here.

In April 1940 John Boden and his son John Derek lived here.

Rented out by John Thomas FORSTER in 1940.

In August 1941 John Boden and his daughter June lived here

In August 1944 Jack Hewitt and his daughter Evelyn lived here.

Owned by John Thomas FORSTER in 1950.

In 1951 Thomas and Gladys Ing lived here. Forbes Robinson, the famous opera singer was Gladys’ cousin.

In September 1958 Derek Moorley and his son Darryl Derek lived here.

In September 1960 Alexander and Susan Elizabeth Young lived here.

In 1961 Alexander and Doreen Young lived here. Doreen Young’s father was Mr Liner who lived at No.33. (See No.33).

In September 1971 Melvyn Rainbow and his son Christopher Melvyn lived here. In December 1973 the family moved to Abbey Hulton.

Jackie Trent (real name: Yvonne Burgess) lived her for a short time.

 

  

High Street Wood Lane No 29 Auntie Gladys

Gladys Ing at the back of No.29 High Street. To the right is No.27. There was a narrow entry between the two houses and a lowering of height as the ground fell away (right to left – south to north) from the old chapel to wood flats. The house shows some of the features of Early Victorian or even later Regency styles: a) a low pitched roof is just discernable, b) brick arch lintels (the single stone lintel not being readily available yet). No.27 has a single brick lintel, c) Flemish Bond brickwork is typical of the first half of the 19th century; the bricks would have been produced locally. (Photograph: Probably taken in the 1950’s courtesy of Cyril Eardley)

  

Fact File No.30

 

David and Clara Durber and their children: Henry, Mary and Elisha lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Abel Clutton lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Daniel and Mary Ann Durber and their children: Edgar and Eric Henry and their nephew Victor Webb and niece Alice Taylor lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In May 1929 Abel Clutton died while living here, aged 53.

In 1933 George and Maud Clutton lived here.

In October 1935 George Clutton and his son George Abel Clutton lived here.

In December 1936 George Clutton and his son Norman Clutton lived here

In May 1941 George Clutton and his son Kenneth lived here

In 1951 George E. and Maud Clutton lived here. (George Clutton’s mum and dad, see No. 30, Wesley Street)

In April 1952 George Clutton and his daughter Kathleen Marion lived here.

In 1961 George E., Kenneth and Maud Clutton lived here.

 

img269a                 

Tom and Gladys Ing in 1954

 

Fact File No.31

 

Keyia Nixon, a widow, and her children: Jemima, Harry, James, Samuel and William lived here on 31st March 1901.

James Pepper lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Alfred Brereton lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Alfred James and Martha Brereton and their son Frederick Robert lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

Arthur Forster lived here in 1921.

Arthur Forster lived here in 1931.

In 1933 John Thomas and Emily Forster (nee Durber) lived here.

Rented out by John Thomas FORSTER in 1940.

In May 1941 George and his son Kenneth Clutton lived here.

Owned by John Thomas FORSTER in 1950.

In 1951 John Thomas and Emily Forster lived here.

John Thomas FORSTER lived here in 1960.

In 1961 John T and Emily Forster lived here.

John Thomas Forster lived here in February 1966.

 

High Street Wood Lane No

A rare Wood Lane business advert. Thomas Forster of No.31 advertised the above in the Audley Parish Magazine.

 

Fact File No.32

 

George and Hannah Crosby and their children: John and Frances and their grandson John Ed. lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 George Crosby lived here and Uriah Pepper owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

In July 1925 Beryl Baker Symms, the daughter of Fred and Winifred Ellen Symms was born while living here.

In May 1927 Albert Gater and his daughter Elaine lived here.

In 1933 Albert and Florence Gater lived here.

In 1951 Albert and Florence Gater lived here.

In 1961 Albert and Florence M. Gater lived here

Elaine Jean Rhodes lived here in October 1962.

Albert Gater lived here in December 1971.

 

High Street

High Street, Wood lane in the 1960’s. To the immediate left is No.5. There are then two blocks of two houses (No’s 9 and 11 and No’s 13 and 15) and then a block of three (No’s 17 to 21) leading up to the Chapel / Sunday School of 1855. (Photograph Courtesy of Philip Jepson)

 

Fact File No.33

 

James and Sarah A. Jackson and their children: Fred, William A., James and Martha lived here on 31st March 1901.

James Jackson lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Robert Sims lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Robert and Emma Symms and their children: Fred, Albert and Robert lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1932 Mrs Jane Brereton was a shopkeeper here.

In 1933 Jane Brereton and Albert Symms lived here.

In 1936 Mrs Jane Brereton was a shopkeeper here.

In 1940 Mrs Jane Brereton was a shopkeeper here.

 

The shop was a newsagent’s that sold sweets and cigarettes from the converted front room. It had a quarried floor. There was ‘Vantas’ drinks machine that was manually carbonated and diluted juice added to create pop. This was fascinating to young children. There were jars of sweets on shelves and the shop had a cluttered look.

 

In September 1950 Maurice Shaw and his son Michael John lived here.

In 1951 Maurice and Lillian Shaw (nee Wright) lived here. Maurice Shaw’s father lived in Wesley Street (see No. 24 Wesley Street).

In 1961 William T. and Constance M. Liner lived here. William Liner converted the shop back to a private house.

  

Fact File No.34

 

John and Sarah A. Rhodes lived here on 31st March 1901.

Arthur Cooper lived here in 1905

In 1910 Arthur Cooper lived here and Uriah Pepper owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Enoch and Louise Durber and their children: Edwin, Ethel, Harvey, Jacob, Walter, Percy, Berty and Eunice here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In September 1932 Thomas Pepper and his son Norman Pepper lived here.

In 1933 Thomas Elisha and Janet Pepper lived here. Thomas was in the foot rail business in Apedale. (see No. 13 High Street).

In 1951 Thomas E., Janet, Norman and Mary J. Pepper lived here.

In January 1958 Norman Pepper and his son Michael Norman Pepper lived here.

In 1961 Thomas E., Janet, Norman and Mary J. Pepper lived here.

In March 1974 Michael Lyth and his daughter Gillian and son Garry came to live here from Meir. In September 1975 they left the district.

 

Fact File No.35

 

James Moores, a widower and his children: James Moores, also a widower, Harry, Frank and Ethel and their grandson John lived here on 31st March 1901.

James Moores lived here in 1905.

In 1910 James Moores lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

James Moores and his grandson John James Moores lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1933 John William, Ethel and Clement Lovatt lived here.

In 1951 John William Lovatt lived here.

In 1961 John William Lovatt lived here.

 

Fact File No.36 (Converted to Flats before 1986)

 

Uriah and Eliza Pepper and their children: Ethel May Brindley, Arnas(?), Winnie, Hannah, Elisha, Florence, Frederick and Uriah lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Uriah Pepper lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Uriah and Eliza Pepper and their children: Thomas Elisha, Florence Maude, Frederick, Uriah and Frank lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having six rooms.

In 1933 Eliza, Uriah, Uriah jun. and Isabella Pepper lived here.

In 1949 Uriah senior died.

 

This was a large fruit shop in the corner terrace house on the east side of High Street. There was a shop and stables for a horse with which Uriah Pepper used to tow a cart of fruit that he sold in the streets.

 

In 1951 Uriah and Isabella Pepper lived here.

Frederick Simms lived here in February 1954.

In 1961 Winifred Ellen and Beryl B. Symms lived here. Beryl was the daughter of Fred Symms (see No.8 High Street)

Winifred Simms lived here in November 1963.

In January 1986 the Jones family lived in 36A ground floor flat.

In June 1997 the Johnson family lived in 36A ground floor flat.

 

Wood Lane Uriah Pepper Died 36 High Street Wood Lane

Uriah Pepper (see No. 36)

 

Fact File No.37

 

Henry and Emma Moores and their children: Harry and Arthur and daughter in law Harriet and grandchildren Eve and Alfred lived here on 31st March 1901.

Henry Jackson lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Henry Moores lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Henry and Emma Moores and their children: Harry and Arthur and their daughter in law Elizabeth Moores and their grand children: Eva, Alfred, Bertha, Tom and Nellie, lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having four rooms.

In 1932 Arthur Moores was an insurance agent living here.

In 1933 Arthur, Elizabeth, Alfred, Nellie and Thomas Moores lived here.

In March 1941 William Wright and his daughter Phyllis May and son George William lived here.

In 1951 Eric and Lily Whiston lived here

In 1961 Eva M. Williams and Eliza C. Riley lived here.

 

Fact File No.38

 

Hannah Sproston, a widow, and her children: Mabel, Beatrice and Arthur lived here on 31st March 1901.

In 1910 Hannah Sproston lived here and owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End.

Hannah Sproston, a widow and her children: Beatrice and Arthur Platt lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having six rooms.

In January 1927 Frederick Fryer and his daughter Winnie lives here.

In 1933 Elizabeth Wade and Kate and Joseph Thomas Breeze lived here.

In 1951 Frederick J. and Beatrice Fryer and Hannah Sproston lived here.

Hannah Sproston lived here in November 1956.

In 1961 Frederick J. and Beatrice Fryer lived here.

Frederick James Fryer lived here in March 1962.

Beatrice Fryer lived here in June 1969.

Joe Tomkinson lived here after the Fryers.

Graham Slade followed.

In September 1980 Graham Slade and his son John Christopher lived here.

Graham Slade was followed by Stuart McIntosh who was Dennis McIntosh’s son.

  

Fact File No.39

 

Frederick and Hannah Maria Darlington and their daughter Florence lived here on 31st March 1901.

Frederick John Darlington lived here in 1905.

In 1910 Hannah Maria Darlington lived here and the representatives of James Dean owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End. The property was noted as being a house and shop.

Hannah Maria Darlington, a widow, her daughter Florence Darlington and a boarder Jennie Baillie Keeling lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having six rooms.

In 1911 Hannah Maria Darlington was noted as being a grocer/ dealer.

In 1932 Mrs Hannah Maria Darlington was a grocer here.

In 1933 Hannah Maria Darlington and Arthur and Florence Hannah Eliza Eardley lived here.

In 1936 Mrs Hannah Maria Darlington was a grocer here

In 1940 Mrs Hannah Maria Darlington was a grocer here

 

This was a bigger shop with more room. In effect it was a bigger house with a bigger front room. There was a store to the side of the house with double doors. The impression was that they had never got much stock.

 

Bill Boden followed Darlingtons into the shop.

In August 1946 Bert Wood and his son Jeffrey William lived here.

Bert Wood before Charnley. He was a builder as well as a shopkeeper.

In May 1950 William Charnley and his daughter Pamela lived here.

In 1951 William R. and Mavis Charnley and Nancy Coakley lived here.

 

At the beginning of High Street on my right (travelling towards Wood Lane),            I popped into Charnley’s Newsagents and purchased a sentinel and a copy of            the Daily Herald. In the window was a team sheet for Wood Lane Cricket Club, who played in the Scot Hay League.

(Bert Proctor; A Tour Of Old Wood Lane On A Magic Carpet, Wood Lane Newsletter  Spring 2008)

 

William Charnley was deaf and used a hearing aid. The shop was a newsagents and general grocers.

 

Murphy’s followed Charnley.

In January 1955 Peter Murphy and his sons Terence and Brian lived here.

In September 1956 Peter Murphy lived here and around this date moved to 11 Church Street. (See Church Street).

In 1961 Eric W. and Florence M. Prosser lived here.

In November 1962 Wilfred West and his daughter Pamela Mary lived here.

In April 1974 Peter Taylor and his daughter Helen Marie lived here.

In January 1976 Peter Taylor and his son Shaun lived here. Just after this the family moved to run the Post Office in Church Street. (See Church Street).

 

Fact File No.40

 

George and Maria Brayford and their children: Harry, Joseph, Janet, George, Sarah and William lived here on 31st March 1901.

George Brayford lived here in 1905

In 1910 Ethelbert Rhodes lived here and Hannah Sproston owned the house. The address was recorded as Bignall End

Ethelbert and Mabel Rhodes and their children: Frank Thomas and Cecil and a boarder: Albert Edward Rhodes lived here in 2nd April 1911. At the time the house was recorded as having five rooms.

In July 1925, Mervyn Arthur Rhodes, the son of Ethelbert and Mabel Rhodes was born while living here.

In 1933 Ethelbert, Mabel and Hector Rhodes lived here.

Alfred Cooper died while living here in July 1941.

In 1951 Fred Webb and Thomas and Florence Jones Lived here.

In 1961 Thomas and Florence Jones Lived here.

Florence Jones lived here in January 1981.

In April 1989 the Steele family lived here.

 

Fact File: Bungalow

 

In 1933 George and Rose Turner lived here.

 

Fact File: Bungalow

 

In 1933 Joseph and Elizabeth  Statham lived here.

 

Fact File No.41

 

In April 1951 Thomas Brindley and his daughter Mavis lived here.

Averil Deakin was married while living here in 1952.

In 1961 Sydney and Kathleen Johnson Lived here.

In April 1967 Clifford Cornes and his daughter Susan lived here.

In January 1969 Clifford Cornes and his son Antony lived here

 

Fact File No.42

 

Edith Pepper lived here in April 1972.

Ernest Jones lived here in February 1985.

 

Fact File No.43

 

In 1961 Jack and Irene Harrison lived here.

In September 1979 Gerald Stevenson and his daughter Lisa Jane lived here.

 

Fact File No.44

 

 

Fact File No.45

 

In April 1956 John Withington and his daughter Glynnis Lesley.

In 1961 John and Irene Withington lived here.

Irene Withington lived here in January 1975.

  

Fact File No.46

 

27th Jun 1909 Birth of daughter Alice Melinda Webb in 46, Church Street, Wood Lane, Audley. Father Elijah Webb.

Elizabeth Hood (listed incorrectly as   at the Register Office) 1855-1927.

Mother Mary Baddley, father William Hood.

Lived at Red Street, Chesterton. Married Thomas Platt in 1881 in Chesterton.

Died at 46 Church St, Wood Lane, Audley.

 

Fact File No.47

 

In September 1957 Percy Johnson lived here with his daughter Susan Lynne.

In April 1959 John R. Johnson and his son John lived here.

In 1961 Percy and Irene Johnson lived here.

Irene Johnson lived here in April 1989.

 

Fact File No.48

 

 

 

Fact File No.49

 

In February 1955 John Charles Harding and his son Robert lived here.

Ronald Michael Harding lived here in July 1960.

In 1961 John C. and Marjorie Harding lived here.

In September 1978 Robert Harding and his daughter Cheryl Ann lived here.

In April 1981 Robert Harding and his daughter Melanie Ann lived here

In January 1984 Robert and Maureen Harding and their son Jason Robert lived here.

 

Fact File No.50

 

 

 

Fact File No.51

 

In February 1955 William Kelsey and his daughter Jean and Vera Seaton lived here.

In 1961 William and May A. Kelsey lived here.

In January 1961 William Kelsey and his son John Frank lived here. About this time they moved to 28, High Street.

In June 1966 Kenneth Yearsley and his son David Warwick lived here.

In April 1967 Ian Fraser and his daughter Lorraine Lesley lived here.

After April 1968 Norman Bould and his son Nigel Bould lived here. They had moved from 38, Church Street. (See Church Street).

In April 1969 Ian Fraser and his son Paul Andrew lived here.

In September 1973 Norman Bould and his son Darren John lived here

In April 1981 Vincent Dean and his son Kelvin Lee lived here.

In September 1996 the Knight family lived here.

 

Fact File No.52

 

In September 1988 the Richardson family lived here.

  

Fact File No.53

 

In March 1955 Sidney Kirkham and his daughter Ann lived here.

In June 1955 Sidney Kirkham lived here.

In September 1956 Sidney Kirkham lived here with his daughter Susan.

In April 1959 Stanley Holt and his daughter June lived here.

In 1961 Stanley and Elsie Holt lived here.

John Edwin O’Rourke was born while living here in April 1962. He was the son of Patrick Edwin and Joyce O’Rourke

In September 1963 Sydney Moss and his son Malcolm Sydney lived here.

In April 1980 David Steele and his son Paul Aaron lived here.

In January 1981 David Steele and his daughter Andrea Lisa lived here.

In April 1983 David and Betty Steele and their daughter Jaclyn Elizabeth lived here.

 

Fact File No.54

 

In January 1970 Edward Russell and his son Lyndon Stuart lived here.

 

Fact File No.55

 

In September 1958 Philip Breeze and his daughter Elizabeth Ann lived here.

In 1961 Lorna M. and William Knight lived here.

Robert Carl Knight was born while living here in May 1961. His parents were William and Launa Knight.

In September 1963 William Knight and his son Robert Carl lived here.

William Knight lived here in December 1974.

Lorna May Knight lived here in October 1990.

 

Fact File No.56

 

Vincent Dean lived here in April 1991.

Alfred Holding lived here in 2008.

Vincent Dean lived here in April 1991.

 

Fact File No.57

 

In May 1955 John William Roberts and his daughter May lived here.

In 1961 John W. and May Roberts lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.58

 

 

Fact File No.59

 

In 1961 Harold and Gladys Large lived here.

In January 1981 the Madeley family lived here.

 

Fact File No.60

 

 

Fact File No.61

 

In 1961 Harry and Joan Whitmore lived here.

In April 1970 Alan Hargreaves and his daughter Mandy Ann lived here.

In April 1972 Harry Whitmore and daughter Mandy Lorraine lived here.

 

Fact File No.62

 

 

Fact File No.63

 

Susan Boardman was born while living here in August 1960. Her parents were Roy and Heather Boardman.

In 1961 Thomas R. and Heather M. Boardman and Ethel G. Murray lived here.

Lesley Boardman was born while living here in June 1962. Her parents were Roy and Heather Boardman.

In January 1963 Roy Boardman and his daughter Christine lived here.

In September 1965 Roy Boardman and his daughter Susan lived here.

In April 1967 Roy Boardman and his daughter Lesley lived here.

David Thomas Boardman was born while living here in May 1968. His parents were Roy and Heather Boardman.

In January 1973 Roy Boardman and his son David Thomas lived here.

 

Fact File No.64

 

 

Fact File No.65

 

 

Fact File No.66

 

 

Fact File No.67

 

 

Fact File No.68

 

In September 1968 Ernest Hulme and his daughter Jennifer lived here.

Selina Bunnagar was living here in Dec 1975.

 

Fact File No.69