Wood Lane - The Changing Face of Church Street

Researched by Robert Mayer

 

 

 

 

Church Street was the third phase of housing development in Wood Lane after Apedale Road and High Street.

 

It was laid out in the 1850’s with an Anglican School Church, opened in 1858, at its northern end and the Primitive Methodist Chapel opened in 1862 at its southern (Apedale Road) end. (Victoria County History, Volume XI, p 26)

 

It was an important development because the area at the southern end of Church Street near its junction with Apedale Road, land that was owned in 1837 by Daniel Hulse and Harriet Wareham, was previously allotments. In the mid 19 century many Wood Lane inhabitants had a house and garden. In many cases the gardens were remote from the house, indicating more of an allotment than a flower garden. Of the 39 identifiable properties in 1837, 22 were described as a ‘House and Garden’. As a result, many families were self-sufficient with regard to vegetables and fruit. The development had the secondary effect of introducing the grocery trade to Wood Lane. A grocer is first mentioned in 1861 and this would fit neatly with a suggested date of the streets development of the late 1850’s.

The name Church Street is interesting. It has been suggested (DYBLE) that the building used to accommodate the Wood Lane’s original school in Church Street was originally intended to be a mission church. The non conformist nature of the population resulted in the change of use. . BRASSINGTON (More Audley Street Names, Audley Historian No.3) takes the same view summarising by saying that the ‘name records the intention rather than the fact. Alternatively, the Primitive Chapel, opened in 1862, was sited at the junction of Church Street and Apedale Road and as High Street was originally known as Chapel Street, and was developed before Church Street, this may be the origin of the name.

 

 

1
Image One: The embryonic Church Street in 1837.
The gardens / allotments are numbered 719 – 724a. 719 – 720 were owned by Harriet Wharam. Joseph Stubbs lived in the house marked 722, which was owned by Daniel Hulse. 717 and 717a are Daniel Hulse’ crofts. These are the site of the development of Church Street; in fact its line followed the boundary between the two crofts. To the north beyond 717 was a field called ‘Big Horse Pasture’. This probably reflects the fact only a particularly strong horse could work it, i.e. plough it in one day. (Image is a detail from the Tithe Map)
1
Image Two: Church Street in 1870.
This is a simplistic map showing blocks of properties and very little detail.

 

 

Houses

Pop

% increase

Pop Per Prop

1841

37

199

 

5.38

1851

44

215

8.04%

4.89

1861

82

387

80.00%

4.72

1871

104

545

40.83%

5.24

1881

129

641

17.61%

4.97

1891

135

746

16.38%

5.53

1901

155

749

0.40%

4.83

1911

167

845

12.81%

5.05

 

The Census Evidence
From the census’ we can work out when Wood Lane was built. Between 1851 and 1861 some 38 properties were built in Wood Lane, if as we propose Church Street was developed in the late 1850’s then most of this 38 would have been in Church Street. Prior to 1851 only 7 properties can be added to the Tithe Map of 1837. This is by far the biggest decade of development in the village mirrored in a population increase of some 80%

 

 

1
Image Three: Church Street in 1877
By 1877 Church Street had been developed as far as Wood Flats. Wood Lane’s first school was built half way up Church Street on the right hand side. (see the map above) It was opened around 1858. The Reverend Wilbraham stated that he had built both a school and teachers house in Wood Lane.  The school house was probably No 32 so this suggests that the development of Church Street had gone further than the school by 1858, although no records have been found to substantiate this.
The house in Church Street just north of the Primitive Chapel appears to be on the same site as Joseph Stubbs house of 1837

 

In 1964/65 the original properties in Church Street started to be vacated in preparation for demolition. See No's 34 and 39. This process was still ongoing in 1966. See No. 35. This process continued into 1968. See No. 38. 1968 is the last historical record of people occupying the old/original properties in Church Street before it was re-developed.

The first record of the redevelopment of the street occurs in September 1974. See No.7 followed by January 1975. See No. 22.

 

Fact File No.1

 

No historical record of this property has been found

 

 

1
Image Four: Church Street in 1900
By 1900 this time Church Street was named, while Primitive Street was referred to as New Street and High Street as Chapel Street. The difference between the development of Church Street and High Street are clear. High Street / Megacre Lane existed before any development took place and as a consequence the properties on either side are neatly parallel. In contrast Church Street was a piecemeal development with properties at all angles and of varying designs; some houses have front gardens, some don’t. The developments to the south of the street appear particularly fragmented. By 1890 although still a cul de sac an exit existed to a footpath to the north of the street.

 

Fact File No.2

 

Moses Barlow was the owner occupier here in 1910
George Alred the son of Walter and Agnes Hodgkinson was born here 28 February 1920
Harriet Hodgkinson died here, aged 75, on 15 February 1924
George Alfred Hodgkinson was killed in the second world war  in April 1943, in North Africa, he is noted as being the husband of Gwennie  Hodgkinson of Chesterton.
In September 1928 Caleb Johnson and his son Wilfred Caleb lived here.
Charles and Emma Hilda Davenport lived here in 1933.
In June 1941 Stanley Owen and his daughters, Joan Doris and Sylvia Louise lived here.
Dorothy Davenport, the daughter of Joseph Kitchener and Marjorie Lydia Davenport was baptised from here 24 January 1943.
In August 1944 Albert Moss and his son Roderick lived here. They were probably evacuees as in October 1944, they returned to Edgware.
Ann Davenport lived here in 1951
On 20 November 1951 Douglas H. and Gladys S. Robinson lived here.
In September 1958 Douglas Robinson and his son George Edward lived here.
In September 1961 Douglas Robinson moved from here to 28, Megacre Lane.

Frank Craddock lived here in the 1960’s.

 

Fact File No.3

 

No historical record of this property has been found

 

1
Image Five: Church Street in 1960.
Church Street has been straightened slightly and the clock of properties at the entrance to Primitive Street has been demolished, as has the school, which was situated, in the gap to the south of No 32. Otherwise the street, which was by 1960 around a hundred years old, was very much as built.

 

Fact File No.4

 

In April 1927 Ernest Kelsall and his daughter Betty lived here.
In September 1932 Ernest Kelsall and his son Ronald Lewis lived here.
In September 1948 George Hasseland his son George Terrance lived here.
On 20 November 1952 John and Esther Horne lived here.

 

Fact File No.5

 

Annie Chealow was here in 1910
Mary Ann Northall and Fred Northall, her son lived here in April 1911. At this time the property was reported as having three rooms.
Roy Warren Buckley, the son of Arthur James and Lydia Buckley was baptised from here 12 August 1919
Enoch James and Alice Bourne lived here in 1933
In November 1938 Herbert Proctor and his son James Arthur lived here.
In September 1940 Harold Wood and his daughter Margaret lived here.

Doreen Wood, the daughter of Harold and Lelia Wood was baptised from here on 1 December 1940.
In December 1941 the Wood family had left the district.
In November 1941 Stanley Edward Owen and his son Roy Stanley lived here.

Doreen Eileen Owen, the daughter of Stanley and Doris Owen was baptised from here 5 September 1943
Roy Owen was born here.
Leonard Wilshaw was born here 25 April 1954
Hilda Whalley lived here in April 1982.

 

1
Image Six: No’s 2 to 6 in 2009. These are the only original buildings remaining in Church Street. The asymmetrically positioned from door on the first building is the clue that this was once two properties. (Photograph: Robert Mayer, 2009)

 

Fact File No.6

 

George Booth lived here in 1905
Abraham Joynson was the owner occupier in 1910 and the property was noted as having a shop attached.

1
Image Seven: Abe (Abraham) Joynson born c1860 of No. 6 Church Street on the left and Harry (Henry) Hopwood born c1862 of No. 13 Church Street on the right. (See No. 13) (Photograph Courtesy of Mr. P. Jepson)

 

Moses, Emily and May Barlow together with Emma Marshall lived here in April 1911. At this time the building was reported as having three rooms.
Caleb Wilfred the son of Caleb and May Johnson was born while the family was living her in 1924.
Abraham Joynson died here on 18 April 1930.
Peter and Emma Durber lived here in 1933
Peter and Emma Durber lived here in 1951 On 20 November 1952 Peter and Emma Durber lived here.
Peter Durber was a professional footballer who played for Southampton.

Fact File No.7

 

Enoch Statham was here in 1910.
Enoch, Emma, Napthali and Dan Statham lived her in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having three rooms.
George Daniel Webb was living at this address when he died in the Minnie Pit disaster of 1918. Surprisingly, he is the only Wood Lane resident to die in the disaster.

Lydia Webb and George Day lived here in 1933.
In August 1941 George Kennedy and his son George lived here. In the same month the
family went to Scotland.

Benny Patterson lived here.

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In September 1974 Michael Locke and his son Reece Anthony lived here. The family moved to here from No 25 High Street. (See High Street)
In June 1985 Adrian Johnson lived here.
In September 1987 Ian Isherwood and his daughter Samantha Jane and son Mark Andrew lived here.
In November 1988 Lee Muir lived here.
In April 1991 the Muir family lived here.

Fact File No.8

 

Fred Rhodes was the owner occupier in 1910.
James Lovatt died while living here in December 1910.
Frederick, Hannah and Evelyn Rhodes lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Frederick Rhodes died here aged 67 on 13 June 1924
Hannah Rhodes died here aged 71 on 5 February 1928
John Hickley and Eveline Lawrence lived here in 1933
Evelyn Lawrence lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Evelyn Lawrence lived here.
She was a Wesleyan Sunday School teacher.

 

 

1
Image Eight: The entrance to Church Street from Apedale Road in the 1960’s. The property to the right is in fact two houses, no.10 on the left and no.8 on the right.
On the left is the Primitive Chapel, then the entrance to Primitive Street, where the car is parked,  and then the house, almost in the centre of the picture is no.11 Church Street. No. 13 and the top of No. 15 can also be seen.
This raises the question of No’s 2-6 and No’s 1-9.
There is no apparent historical record of No’s 1 and 3 and the Chapel is probably where they would have been located. There were properties located at the end of Primitive Street that had been demolished by the time of this photograph and they probably account for No’s 5 and 7. No 5 was still in existence as late as 1954. No’s 2 to 6 are off photo, set back to the right. (Photograph courtesy of Mr Fred Evans)

 

 

Fact File No.9

 

 

Fred Healey lived here in 1905
Fred Durber was here in 1910
Fred, Mary, Lillian and John Durber lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Doreen Price, the daughter of Charles Ernest and Mary Ann Price, was baptised from here 30th November 1916
Lily Joynson was born here on 26 August 1918. Her parents were Ernest and Hannah Joynson.
Selwyn Earnest Joynson was born here on 7 January 1924. His parents were Ernest and Hannah Joynson
In January 1929 Ernest Joynson and his son Selwyn lived here.
In June 1930 Ernest Joynson and his son George Clifford lived here.

Bryan Samuel Pattison, the son of Benjamin and Vera Pattison was baptised from here on 19 November 1940
In August 1942 Benjamin Pattison and his daughter June lived here.
In May 1943 Benjamin Pattison and his daughter June lived here.
In February 1945 Benjamin Pattison and his son Bryan Samuel lived here.
In September 1946 Benjamin Pattison and his daughter Vera lived here.

In the 1950’s the Macintoshes lived here, including; Harry, Hetty, Donald, Dennis and Valerie.

 

This is a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In April 1987 Rhona and David Johnson and their daughter Danielle lived here. They had moved to here from 42, Miles Green Road.
In April 1990 the Johnson family lived here.

 

 

 

1
Image Nine: Church Street from Apedale Road in 2009. All the building visible in Image Three were demolished in the 1970’s and the area has been completely redeveloped. Primitive Street has become Church Close. The entrances to the properties just visible to the right are the only surviving remnants of the original Church Street. (Photograph: Robert Mayer, 2009)

 

Fact File No.10

 

Daniel Henshall lived here in 1905
Emily Williams lived here in 1910 when the owner was Fred Rhodes
Emily and Albert Williams, her son, lived here in April 1911, together with Florence, Augusta and Thomas Harrison. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Harry and Mary Elizabeth Moores lived here in 1933
Harry, Mary Elizabeth and Frederick G. Moores lived here in 1951. On 20 November 1952 Harry, Mary Elizabeth and Frederick G. Moores lived here.
Florence May Kinsey lived here in August 1991.

 

Fact File No.11

 

Henry Fernyhough lived here in 1905
George Clutton lived here in 1910 and the house was owned by Joseph Statham.
George and Sarah Clutton lived here in April 1911, together with Arthur Holmes and Edwin Glover. At this time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Henry Webb, the son of Arthur and Tryphema Webb was baptised from here 19 August 1913
Albert Lear, the son of Albert and Mary Jane Lear was baptised from here 16 May 1918
Hilda May Baddeley, the daughter of Joseph Henry and Hannah Baddeley was baptised from here 20th July 1919
Mary Alice, the daughter of Joseph Henry and Hannah Baddeley was born here 30th September 1923. She died while the family lived at the same address in February 1924.
Joseph Henry and Hannah Baddeley lived here in 1933
John Lowe, aged 1day, died here on 15 February 1937
The Bettons lived here in the 1940’s.
William T. and Selina M. Bentley lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 William T. Bentley lived here.
In July 1953 William Bentley and his daughter Penelope lived here. In February 1954 the family moved to Burslem.
In September 1953 William Bentley and his son Christopher lived here.
About September 1956 Peter Murphy moved here from 39 High Street. (See High Street).
In January 1962 Walter Hudson and his sons John George and Michael lived here. They had arrived here from Silverdale and by February 1962 had moved to Longton.
In April 1962 Ronald William Appleby and his daughters Linda Ann and Janet Susan lived here. They had arrived from Penkhull. In September 1963 they moved to Newcastle.

 

1
Image Ten: Church Street in the 1960’s
No’s 11-19 dominate the picture.  Set back and to the left of the car are No’s 21-25 which were detached from No’s 11-19. The shop of Daisy Leach is prominent just behind the car. In the foreground to the immediate right is the garden wall of No.10.
No 15 appears to have retained its original sash windows. A familiar concrete, electric streetlight is prominent.
The piecemeal nature of the development is well illustrated in this photograph.
(Photograph courtesy of Mr Fred Evans)

 

Fact File No.12

 

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In December 1978 Brian Scott and his son Christopher Brian lived here.
In September 1979 Brian Scott and his son Christopher Brian lived here.
In January 1981 Brian Scott and his son Kevin John lived here.

Fact File No.13

 

Henry Hopwood lived here in 1905
Henry Hopworth lived here in 1910
Henry, Alice, George, Frank, Hannah, Ethel and Alice Hopwood lived here in April 1911. At this time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Henry and Alice Hopwood and William Arthur and Alice Jackson lived here in 1933. Frank Hopwood also  lived here in 1933
Mary Anne Clarke, aged 12 hours, died here on 23 December 1942
In February 1943 Frank Mulliner and his son Victor Gordon and daughter Dorothy May lived here.
In May 1943 Frank Mulliner and his son Thomas Henry lived here.
In August 1944 Charles Clarke and his son Michael William lived here.
In October 1947 William Bason and his son William Herbert lived here.
In September 1950 William Bason and his son Malcolm Harry lived here.

William E. and Lillian Bason lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 William E. and Lillian Bason lived here.
Billy and Marie Bason were born here.
In September 1953 William Bason and his daughter Dorothy lived here.

Fact File No.14

 

William Warburton lived here in 1933
In the 1940’s this was Hill’s shop with living accommodation in No16. It was a general stores.
In the 1950’s this was Harry Pott’s shop.
This shop was a general grocery.
It then became Thorley’s shop and then John Deville's.

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In November 1975 Sheila Davies and her daughter Justine Claire Oakley lived here. They had moved to here from Leighton, Crewe. In March 1976 they moved to Newcastle.
In January 1993 the Lockett family lived here.

 

1
Image Eleven: A similar view to the above image in 2009. (Photograph R. Mayer, 2009)

 

Fact File No.15

 

A Lawton lived here in 1910
Wilfred, Stead Lawton together with Charlotte, Lillian, Wilfred Charles and Sidney Clifford Lawton lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Colin Pruden, the son of Thomas and Edith Pruden was baptised from here 16 September 1915
In January 1932 Frederick Lowe and his daughter Winifred Mary lived here.
Frederick and Alice Lowe lived here in 1933
In March 1934 the Lowe family had moved to Manchester.
Dorothy, the daughter of William and Lillian Bason was baptised from here 14 November 1948.
John Emberton lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1951 – November 1952 Norman G.S. and Vera E. Couch lived here.
In April 1955 Norman Couch and his son Geoffrey John lived here.
In April 1958 Norman Couch and his son David Kenneth lived here.
In September 1965 George William Betton and his son Graham lived here. Around this time they moved from here to 6, Turner Avenue.

 

Fact File No.16

 

In 1900 Elizabeth Statham lived here.
Elizabeth Statham lived here in 1910 when the owner was Samuel White.
In April 1911 Elizabeth Statham lived here. The property was recorded as the Post Office with six rooms.
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a shop and dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mrs E. Statham and the annual rental was £14 6s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £220.
Joseph Garbutt  Alcock was a shopkeeper here in 1932.
This shop had a quarry floor.
In January 1935 Samuel Hall and his son William Thomas Watkin lived here. Shortly after this date they moved to 6, Wesley Street.(See Wesley Street).
In October 1937 Arthur Williams and his daughters Margaret and June lived here.

John E. and Marjorie Thorley lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 John E. and Marjorie Thorley lived here.
In September 1960 John Deaville moved from here to Boon Hill Park, Bignall End.

This became the chip shop owned by Harry Potts.
Margaret Deville followed and the shop started to hold groceries.

Fact File No. 17

 

Robert Taylor lived here in 1905
Robert Taylor was here in 1910
Robert James (senior), Eva and Robert James (junior) Taylor lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
May Hopwood, the daughter of Sydney and Flora Hopwood was baptised from here 27 July 1916
Sydney, Flora and Stanley Hopwood lived here in 1933
Mildred Jackson, the daughter of William Arthur and Ethel Jackson was baptised from here 3 June 1935.
The Jackson family moved to 26 Wesley Street by November 1939.
Joyce Hughes was born here 30th July 1941.
In September 1946 Harry Hughes and his daughter Joyce lived here.
Harry and Doreen Hughes lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Harry and Doreen Hughes lived here.
In September 1953 Henry Hughes and his son Leslie lived here.

 

Fact File No. 18

 

Wilmot Fryer lived here in 1905
Arthur Proctor lived her in 1910 when the owner was Samuel White
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mr A Proctor and the annual rental was £22 15s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £160.
Arthur, Eliza, Ada, Beatrice, Frederick and Herbert James Proctor lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Ellen Freeman, the daughter of Alfred Arthur and Bessie Freeman was baptised from here 27 April 1916
Bessie, the daughter of Alfred Arthur and Bessie Freeman was born here 15 June 1925
George Graham the son of George William and Hilda May Boughey was born here 28 July 1932
William George, May Hilda and Arthur Boughey lived here in 1933
In November 1936 William Hughes and his son Malcolm lived here.
In September 1939 Dennis Durber and his daughter Patricia lived here.

William Herbert Bason, the son of William and Lillian Bason was baptised from here 23 May 1943.
In April 1949 William Henry Potts and his son Howard William lived here. In November 1949 the family had left the district.
In November 1949 Charles Mander and his daughter Lynn Susan lived here. They had arrived from Sneyd Green.

Arthur and Marjorie Proctor lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 John and Marjorie Till lived here.
In September 1954 John Till and his son Brian Melvyn lived here.
In March 1966 John Till and his son Lindsay John lived here, shortly afterwards they moved to 69, Boon Hill.

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In April 1976 William Wild lived her with his son Jason Lee.
In April 1986 Ian and Jennifer Smith and their daughter Eleanor Elizabeth lived here.

Fact File No.19

 

Daniel Taylor lived here in 1905
Agnes Taylor lived here in 1910
Agnes and her son John Taylor together with her grandson John Birks lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four Rooms.
Irene Roberts, the daughter of James Levi and Eunice Roberts was baptised from here 28 October 1918
Daisy Roberts, the daughter of James Levi and Eunice Roberts was baptised from 18 December 1919
In January 1927 Arthur Kirkham and his son Leslie lived here.
Arthur James and Gertrude Kirkham lived here in 1933
In July 1936 Ernest Rice and his son Ernest lived here. After February 1937 the family moved to Chesterton.
Edwin and Mary A. Durber lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Edwin and Mary A. Durber lived here.
Roy Price was baptised from here 17 October 1954
Mary Ann Durber died here 2 February 1955

 

Fact File No. 20

Samuel Durber lived here in 1905
Arthur Burton lived here in 1910 when the owner was Samuel White
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mr H Farrington and the annual rental was £22 15s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £160.
Herbert, and Ventis Midred Farrington lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
William Raymond Farrington, the son of  William Herbert, and Ventis Midred Farrington was baptised from here 26 January 1913
Douglas Carter, the son of Herbert Edward and Mary Ann Carter was baptised from here 27 April 1916
George Mayer, the son of George and Emma Mayer was baptised from here 15 November 1917
In January 1928 Jacob Durber and his daughter Gladys lived here.
Raymond, the son of Arthur and Nellie Joynson was born here 21 January 1933 and died on 24 January 1933.
Arthur and Nellie Joynson lived here in 1933
Kenneth, the son of Arthur and Nellie Joynson was baptised from here 9 April 1934
John W.  and Eunice A. Edgeley lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 John W. and Eunice A. Edgeley lived here.

 

1
Image Twelve: Church Street in the 1960’s.
To the immediate left is No11. There are 5 properties in the block. Three properties then sit back out of view, where the car is parked. The building with the advertising on, just beyond the car is No 27, the shop of Daisy Leech.  To the immediate right is No 10 and then 5 properties sit back away from the road with a pavement. The building that then juts out to the road is No 24. This was the fish and chip shop of Mrs Moreton in the 1930’s. (Photograph courtesy of Mr Fred Evans)

 

1
Image Thirteen: An approximation to the above photograph taken in 2009.

 

Fact File No.21

 

Walter Joynson lived here in 1905
Thomas Richard Cooper lived here in 1910 when the house was owned by Ann Statham.
Andrew, Alice, George, Wallace Andrew, Clara, Doris May Price lived here in April 1911, together with William Ellis Jones. At that time the house was reported to have had four rooms.
Mary Pruden, the daughter of Thomas and Edith Pruden was baptised from here 19 May 1921
Elsie, the daughter of Thomas and Edith Pruden was born here 28 May 1925
Thomas Pruden died here on 1 June 1927, aged 15
Stanley, the son of Thomas and Edith Pruden was born here 20th December 1927
Stanley, the son of Thomas and Edith Pruden died here aged 3 months on 19 February 1928
Joseph and Annie Holdcroft lived here in 1933
In April 1935 Josiah Holdcroft and his son Josiah lived here.
In September 1935 Josiah Holdcroft and his son Josiah lived here.
In September 1936 Josiah Holdcroft and his son Harold Alec lived here. After September 1937 the family moved to Talke.

Harold and Nora Jackson lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Harold and Nora Jackson lived here.
Nora Jackson was baptised from here 22 May 1957

 

 

1
Image Fourteen: This image was taken in 1947 at 22, Church Street. The children are; back row: Margaret Skerratt, Barbara Heath (?), Vincent Sales (see No.22), Gwen Foster, Roy Owen (see No5) and Doreen Skerratt. Front row: Billy Skerratt, John Skerratt and Elsie Sales (see No.22). The houses in the background may be the backs of  Nos.15-21 High Street. (Photograph Courtesy of Elsie Finney)

 

Fact File No.22

 

Thomas Groom lived here in 1905
Enoch Jepson lived here in 1910 and the owner was Samuel White, at which time it was reported as being a house and shop. The property had a purpose built shop front.
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mr E Jepson and the annual rental was £22 15s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £160.
Enoch, Emma, William, Harold, Frederick and Frank Jepson lived here in April 1911, together with Florence Woolridge who was a visitor. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
1


Image Fifteen: From left to right Alice Hopwood, Emma Jepson (b.1881) and Florie (Florence) Woolridge (b.1885). Photograph c.1910. Taken in the back garden of No.22 Church Street. In the background are No's 13 and 15 High Street. (Photograph courtesy of Philip Jepson.)


Luther Jepson, the son of Enoch and  Emma Jepson was baptised from here 27 July 1916
Norman White, the son of William Herbert and Vertis Midred Farrington was born here 26 September 1920
Edwin and Mary Ann Durber lived here in 1933
In March 1947 Vincent and his daughter Elsie Sales lived here.
Vincent and Elsie Sales lived here in 1951. On 20 November 1952 John and Rebecca Hassall lived here.
Vincent (Jnr) and Elsie (Jnr) also lived here.
In June 1952 John Hassall and his daughters Kathleen and Joan Barbara lived here. They had arrived from Chesterton.
In January 1963 George Alfred Vardy and his daughter Karin Janet lived here. By July 1964 they had moved to Red Street.

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In January 1975 Granville Ford and his son Andrew Leighton lived here. They had moved to this property from Mow Cop.
In January 1985 Gary Norcup and his son Liam James lived here.
In April 1987 Gary Norcup and his daughter Katie Lauren lived here.

 

Fact File No.23

 

Arthur Leech lived here in 1905
Herbert Fox lived here in 1910.
Harry and Ellen Edgeley lived here in April 1911. At that time the house was reported as having four rooms.
Marjory  Higginson, the daughter of William Henry  and Alice Higginson was baptised from here 28 October 1915
Dora  Higginson, the daughter of William Henry  and Alice Higginson was baptised from here 3 June 1918
Thomas Benjamin Higginson died here aged 17 on 12 June 1928
In June 1928 Alice Higginson and her daughter Violet Nancy lived here.
William Thomas the son of Samuel and Lily Watkins-Hall was born here 10 December 1929
Alice Higginson lived here in 1933
Samuel and Lily Hall also lived here in 1933
In July 1935 Reginald Wilshaw and his daughter Blanche lived here.
In May 1936 Reginald Wilshaw and his daughter Norma lived here.
In March 1937 Reginald Wilshaw and his daughter Alma lived here. After August 1939 the family left the district.
In January 1942 Cecil Bedson and his daughters Freda and Glenda June lived here.

Jean Bedson, the daughter of Leslie and Violet Nancy Bedson was baptised from here 6 March 1943.
In May 1943 George Higginson and his daughter Maureen Alice lived here.
George Allen Higginson, the son of George and Elizabeth Emma Higginson was baptised from here 10 December 1943
In September 1946 George Higginson and his son Michael lived here.
In October 1947 George Higginson and his son Raymond lived here.

Lyn Higginson, the daughter of George and Elizabeth Emma Higginson was baptised from here 5 September 1948
In October 1949 George Higginson and sons Michael and Raymond lived here.
In September 1950 Arthur Higginson and his daughter Wendy lived here.
In June 1950 George Higginson and his daughter Wendy lived here.
In November 1950 George Higginson and son Georhe Alan lived here.

George and Emma E. Higginson lived here in 1951
Melvyn Higginson, the son of George and Elizabeth Emma Higginson was baptised from here 21 October 1951
Michael and Raymond Higginson also lived here.
On 20 November 1952 Frederick W. and Ellen M. Halford lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.24

 

Abraham Berks lived here in 1905
Sydney Hopwood lived here in 1910.
Ernest, Catherine, George Ernest, Harold, Herbert, Albert and Annie Wright lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had three rooms.
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a shop and dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mr Wright and the annual rental was £20 3s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £260.
Arthur Leech was the husband of Sarah Jane Leech, was described as a general dealer in 1917. They were accused of selling fireworks that caused the death of T. Broom. (See No.36). The property had a purpose built shop front.

Gladys Maud, the daughter of Jacob and Winifred Durber, was baptised from here, 26 October 1922
In September 1930 Tom Moreton and his daughter Beatrice lived here. The family had moved to here from Belper, Derbyshire.
Mrs Janet Moreton was a fried fish dealer here in 1932 
Thomas and Janet Moreton and Thomas Pointon lived here in 1933
Mrs Janet Moreton was a shopkeeper here in 1936 
In September 1940 Harold Forster and his daughter Gwen and son Dennis lived here.
In January 1942 Harold Forster and his son Leslie lived here.
In June 1942 Harold Forster and his son Leslie lived here.
In May 1943 Harold Forster and his son Gilbert and daughter Marlene lived here.

Arthur and May Lear lived here in 1951 and had a vegetable shop:

I continue on a little further down the street and I reach the fruit and vegetable shop of Arthur and Mavis Lear. (Happy Memories; Bert Proctor, Wood Lane Newsletter)

On 20 November 1952 Arthur and May Lear lived here.
In September 1954 Arthur Lear and his son William Arthur lived here.

This may be a redeveloped property after the original was demolished c.1970.
In October 1975 Bertram Thorley and his sons Carl and Bertram Craig lived here. They had moved to here from Newcastle.
In September 1979 Anthony Smith and his daughter Erica Jane lived here. The family had moved to here from Kidsgrove.
In September 1981 Anthony Smith and his son Christopher James lived here.
In January 1987 Anthony Smith and his son Robert Anthony lived here.

Fact File No.25

 

 

Thomas Hogarth lived here in 1905
Thomas Hogarth lived here in 1910.
Richard Thomas, Alice, Jessie, William Thomas, Jack and Hilda Cooper lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
On May 21st 1912 this property, noted as a shop and dwelling house, was put up for sale by auction, the occupier was Mr H Fernyhough and the annual rental was £20 3s.
On May 24th 1912 the property was withdrawn from the auction at £260.
Annie Clutton, the daughter of William Henry and Mary Ellen Clutton was born here 19 February 1920
Majorie the daughter of Joseph and Daisy Goodwin was born here in Dec 1923.
Margaret Pamela Brockley, the daughter of Albert and Eliza Brockley was born here in 1931.
Ernest and Violet Price lived here in 1933
In December 1940 William Pye and his daughter Rhona lived here. In May 1945 the family went to live in London.
Arthur and Ruth Leech lived here in 1951
Arthur Leech was an RAC patrol man for many years.
On 20 November 1952 Arthur and Ruth Leech lived here.

Fact File No.26

 

 

This property had a shop front  but there is no recollection opf its use as a shop, however Harry Fernyhough had an off-licence in Church Street in 1901 census and made full licence applications in 1899, 1900 and 1901. It is likely to be for this property.

 

1

 

Harry Fernyhough lived here in 1910 and the owner was Samuel White, at that time it was recorded as being a house and shop.
Harry, Fanny, Mary Elizabeth, Edith, Harry, Thomas, Maggie and Ernest Fernyhough lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had three rooms. Lilly, the daughter of Harry and Fanny Fernyhough was baptised while the family lived here Oct 1911.

Ernest Fernyhough  became labour member of parliament for Jarrow.

Joyce, the daughter of David William and Myra Bailey was born here 19 May 1926
Harold Thomas the son of David William and Myra Bailey was born here was born here 5 January 1930
In April 1931 David Bailey and his daughter Joyce lived here.
David William Bailey lived here in 1933
In January 1935 David William Bailey and his son Harold Thomas lived here.
In February 1935 David William Bailey and his daughter Nellie lived here.
In September 1940 Vincent Sales and his son Vincent lived here.

Sylvia Evans was born here 29 October 1944
In March 1946 James Brayford and his son Arthur lived here.
In September 1950 James Brayford and his daughter Doris lived here.

James and Doris E. Brayford lived here in 1951
In September 1951 James Brayford and his daughter Doris Edna lived here. On 20 November 1952 James and Doris E. Brayford lived here.

In September 1957 Leslie Bedson lived here.
Susan Bedford died here 8 October 1958

1

 

Image Sixteen: Church Street at the beginning of the twentieth century.
This is virtually the same photograph as the previous one only taken in the very early 20th century. The road is unmade and is a cul de sac culminating in fields. The pavement and front gardens of No’s 14-22 are to the immediate right. Once again there is no historical record of a No 12. No’s 17 and 19 are to the immediate left.
The lady standing outside No 17 may be Eva Taylor.
(Photograph: Thomas Wareham Collection)

 

1
Image Seventeen:

 

Fact File No.27

 

William Statham lived here in 1910.
Thomas and Emma Hogarth and their children: Mary Anne, Ethel, William Thomas, Nellie and Elsie lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
Arthur, Daisy and Sarah Jane Leech together with Myra Bailey all lived here in 1933
Daisy Leech was a draper here in 1940.
Sarah Anne Leech, aged 68 died here on 25 November 1945.
Arthur and Daisy Leech lived here in 1951.

 

Daisy Leach sold everything you could think of! The first thing you could smell when       
    you entered was the paraffin pump. What a wonderful little shop, a real Aladdin's cave. . (Happy Memories; Bert Proctor, Wood Lane Newsletter)

opposite was Daisy Leech's which always smelled of paraffin. It always made me think of the Old Curiosity Shop; she sold all kinds of knick knacks (Blast From the Past; S. Peers, Wood Lane Newsletter)

The Shop was small and dark. She sold paraffin and many household goods. (Shopping in Wood Lane in the 1950’s; Wood Lane Newsletter)

Parked outside would be Mr. Leech's RAC motorcycle and sidecar.

           The older residents of Wood Lane will remember the general store and sweet
shop owned by Miss D Leech which, for the benefit of new residents of Wood Lane, was on 
the left half way down Church Street, but was demolished in the 1970s.
    
          The shop was entered by a large latched door, which activated a loud bell, and
     behind the door there was always a poster advertising forthcoming programmes
at the Alexandra cinema in Chesterton. The cement slabbed floor led down into the
 shop, alongside which were bundles of sticks, brushes, mops and mop buckets etc.
 At the far end of the shop, which was illuminated by a single bulb, was a large
paraffin tank operated by a brass pump. People would buy paraffin to fill their
paraffin stoves and in some cases to light their coal fires.

            Woe betide any customer who placed their paraffin can on the shop counter,
which was next to the bread tray, as they would be told promptly by Miss Leech to
put it on the floor.
Various goods for sale were placed on the mantle piece of an old fire grate and
some goods  were displayed on cards, such as hair combs and grips, pencils and
 rubbers, were pinned to the wall. I remember some being stamped with `made in
Hong Kong.'
The shop window, which was protected by two wooden boards at the bottom,
contained only sweets in jars, some labelled `Old Betty Plants', a local confectionary
manufacturer.Shortly after the war sweets were taken off ration temporarily and within
a few days I remember the shop window was empty except for cough sweets, liquorice
root and Spanish juice.

   Miss Leech's shop was only one of almost a dozen fine shops in Wood Lane in the 1950s. (Wood Lane Newsletter Summer 2009)

 

On 20 November 1952 Arthur and Daisy Leech lived here.
You went down two steps into the shop, which had gas mantles. It was a small shop with red and black quarry tiles.

Arthur Leech died here 5 July 1963
Daisy Leech died here 5 June 1964

 

 

Fact File No.28

 

 

28 /30 was an outdoor licence house and shop in 1910.
Isaac Robinson was the proprietor in 1910 when the property was an outdoor licence and the owners were Hedges Brewery.


1

 

Walter and Mary Daniels and their children: Ethel and Emma lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had eight rooms. Walter was reported as being a beer retailer. Walter Daniels was licensed victualler of Church Street in 1911 baptism register.

Walter Daniels was the beer retailer here in 1912.

 

5 June 1912:
1

 

 

Walter Daniels applied for an On Licence at 28, Church Street, it was refused on 7 March 1914,. Isaac Lowe and Daniel Hogarth supported the request for a licence, while Ralph Johnson opposed it. Wilkes, a boot repairer, offered work to sign against the licence. Walter Daniels off licence was renewed on 7 March 1914.

Full licence applications in 1903 and 1914
Beer retailer of Church Street in 1912-1921 directories
Walter Daniel’s off-licence in Wood Lane was accused of selling beer for consumption on premises in 1922 Staffs Advertiser.
Walter Daniels was described as a retired victualler of Church Street in 1923 marriage register.

Barbara Whiston, the daughter of James and Eva Whiston was baptised from here 1 July 1929.
Jas Whiston was a beer retailer here in 1932
In September 1932 James Whiston and his son George Albert lived here.
James and Eva Whiston lived here in 1933
In May 1934 James Whiston and his daughter Barbara lived here.
Jas Whiston was a beer retailer here in 1936
Jas Whiston was a beer retailer here in 1940. You got a 1d back when you returned pop bottles.
James Whiston had a limp and carried jugs of beer into the off licence from the cellar under the front room. He sold Parkers Ales.

No records of off-licence after 1940 but Whiston family at 28 Church Street in 1950 electoral register (not James)

In December 1940 James Whiston and his daughter Barbara lived here.
Eva, Basil, George A. and Ethel M. Whiston lived here in 1951

        on the same side of the road is the Off-Licence owned by Mr. Whiston. A busy little 
        business from time to time. (Happy Memories; Bert Proctor, Wood Lane Newsletter)

On 20 November 1952 Eva, George A. and Ethel M. Whiston lived here.

Fact File No.28a

 

31 July 1915, John Robert Cooper of 28a Church Street, Wood Lane was injured in a roof fall at Jamage Footrils. His brother Thomas Cooper escaped injury

Fact File No.29

 

Joseph Statham lived here in 1905.
Joseph Statham lived here in 1910 when the property was owned by Ann Groom
Joseph and Margaret Ann Statham and their children: Mary Ann, Edwin, Albert, Sydney, Harold and Reginald lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Joseph, Margaret Anne and Reginald Statham lived here in 1933
Joseph Statham, aged 61, died here on 25 July 1933. He was known as ‘Joedy’.
George A., Florence and Maureen Statham lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Florence and Maureen Statham lived here.

Fact File No.30

 

Isaac Robinson lived here in 1905.
Was a barber’s shop in June 1912 – see advert in No. 28 above.
Isaac and Mary Ann Robinson and their children: Minnie, Thomas, Hannah and Terence  lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.

Joan Hadley, the daughter of Minnie and Zachariah Hadley, was baptised from here 7 April 1929.
Minnie and Zachariah Hadley and Isaac, Mary Ann and Terence Robinson lived here in 1933
Minnie and Zachariah Hadley and Isaac, Mary Ann and Terence Robinson lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Minnie and Zachariah Hadley and Isaac, Mary Ann and Terence Robinson lived here.
Isaac Robinson died here, aged 85, on 1 June 1955
Ann Robinson died here 9 May 1963

 

Fact File No.31

 

 

Edwin Groom (Broom?) lived here in 1910
Edwin and his mother Anne Groom lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
Edwin Groom married Ada Cheetham from here 15 July 1925
George Kenneth, the son of Edwin and Ada Broom was born here 23 June 1926
Geoffrey Harold  the son of Harold and Annie Elizabeth Statham lived here in 1932
Harold and Annie Elizabeth Statham lived here in 1933.
In September 1938 Stanley Devonport and his son Michael lived here. In November 1938 the family moved to Scholar Green.
In June 1939 the family returned.

Henry and Frank Hopwood and John W. and Doris Jebb lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1951 John A. and Mary Johnson lived here.
On 20 November 1952 John A. and Mary Johnson lived here.

The School House

 

George and Edith Ellen Statham lived here in 1933
Bernard Smith and family lived here in the 1950’s.

Fact File No.32

 

Irene Rita Statham lived here in 1933.
In August 1942 Bernard Smith and his son Brian lived here.
In September 1945 Bernard Smith and his daughter Maureen Blanche Ada lived here.

Fact File No.33

 

John Hopley lived here in 1905
John Hopley lived here in 1910 when Joseph Alfred Holding owned the property
John Robert and Marrinda Hopley, Edwin Colclough who was a boarder and John Thomas Vigars who was a visitor lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Robert Hopley lived here in 1922.
In September 1929 Arthur Slater and his daughter Eve lived here.

Arthur and Ethel Slater lived here in 1933
In April 1936 James Nixon and his daughter Sheila May lived here.
Dorah, the daughter of Reginald and Hannah Wilshaw was born here on 2 January 1938
In October 1938 John Dale and his daughter Thelma lived here.
In June 1939 John Dale and his daughter Thelma lived here.
In January 1941 John Dale and his son John lived here.

John and Mary B. Dale lived here in 1951. Jack Dale was a local preacher.
Thelma and John Dale lived here.
On 20 November 1951 John Mary B. Dale lived here.

 

Fact File No.34

 

John Nixon was the owner-occupier in 1910.
Jihn and Hannah Nixon and their children: John Thomas, James, Percy and Harry lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Elizabeth Carter died here, aged 82, on 10 September 1926
Ruth Woolridge lived here in 1933
In August 1944 Dorothy Charlton and her daughter Dorothy lived here. They were probably evacuees as in October 1944, they returned to Edgware.
Hannah Nixon lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Hannah Nixon lived here.
Hannah Nixon died here 6 October 1956
Paul Shaw, the son of Cyril and Sheila Shaw,  was baptised from here 4 September 1960.
In January 1965 Cyril Shaw and his son Paul lived here, about the same time they moved to 2, Turner Avenue.

Fact File No.35

 

Ralph Holdcroft lived here in 1905
Ralph Holdcroft lived here in 1910
Ralph and Harriet Holdcroft and their children: Sarah Ann and Selina lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
Gertrude Locket, the daughter of George and Selina Locket was baptised from here 19 August 1915
Ralph Holdcroft died here, aged 70, on 23 February 1924
George and Selina Locket and Harriet Holdcroft lived here in 1933
Arthur and Hilda Hibbs lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Arthur and Hilda Hibbs lived here
In January 1966 Brian Peers and his son James Alan lived here. Shortly afterwards they moved to Wedgwood Avenue.

Fact File No.36

 

Clement Joynson lived here in 1910 when the owner of the property was Henry Fox.
Clement and Mary Alice Joynson lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.

Alice and Elijah Poole lived her in 1919.

Elijah Poole, Private 60718 of the Royal Army Medical Corps died 7/12/1919 age 30. He died of shell shock resulting from the war. Elijah was the son of George and Hannah Miles Green Audley and the husband of Alice Poole of  36 Church Street Wood Lane Bignall End Stoke on Trent. He was buried in St John Churchyard Alsagers Bank Staffs

John Fox died here, aged 73, on 10 June 1920. It appears that he may have moved to here from No.38.
Sydney and Olive Broom, the children of Thomas and Patience Broom were born here 29 March 1925.

Sid had an elder brother named Terrence, who was burned to death down Wood Lane woods, playing with matches in 1926.  He also had a sister older than him named Hetty, and two younger ones named Olive and June.  They were a Wood Lane family, lived and died there. (Never to Return, Second Edition)

Sydney Broom was killed in action in the second world war on 5 May 1944,

In September 1930 John Nixon and his son Harold lived here.
James and Ettie Nixon lived here in 1933
Gwendoline and Sheila Noxon also lived here.
John T., Harold and Hilda Nixon lived here in 1951
On 20 November 1952 John T., Harold and Hannah Nixon lived here

1
Image Eighteen: Elijah Poole (Include acknowledgement to Mr Poole as in NTR1)

 

Fact File No.37

 

Lancelot Statham lived here in 1910 when Walter Daniels owned the property
Lancelot and Eva Statham, Hannah Fullwood, a visitor and Emily Fullwood,their neice lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
Hannah Fullwood nee Clutton lived here with her daughter Eva Statham in 1911.
Lancelot Statham died here aged 54 on 22 March 1933.
Eva Statham and Emma and Emily Fullwood lived here in 1933
Eva Statham, and Emily and Alfred P. Rimmer lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Eva Statham, and Emily and Alfred P. Rimmer lived here.
Around April 1965 John Leslie Bedson moved to here from No. 44, Church Street.

 

 

1
Image Nineteen: This is a detail from Image Ten: The front garden walls immediately to the right are those of No’s 20 and 22. On the immediate left the shop of Daisy Leech is just visible with the ‘Colman’s Starch’ advert on the side wall.. The properties on the left, beyond the shop, are No’s 29 to 43 which were built in blocks of two. These properties had front gardens. The two properties at the end on the left were No’s 45 and 47. They were flush to the road. A gas lamp is prominent. The building in the foreground to the right is No 24, which hides most of the even numbered properties. Just visible is the parapet of Wood Lane’s original 1858 school.

 

Fact File No.38

 

John Fox was the owner occupier in 1910 and the house was called ‘Vouge’
John and Mary Fox and their son James and grandson Albert Henry Sweetmore lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
Joan Hadley, aged one, died here on 20th March 1930
Hannah, John and Harry Nixon lived here in 1933
John Nixon died here 16 August 1942
In October 1947 James Nixon and his daughter Gwendoline lived here.
James and Ettie Nixon lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 James, Ettie and Sheila M. Nixon lived here
In April 1968 Norman Bould and his son Nigel lived here. Shortly afterwards they moved to 51, High Street. (See High Street).

 

Fact File No.39

 

Thomas Durber lived here in 1905
Thomas Durber lived here in 1910.
Thomas and Mary Ann Durber and their daughter Dillis lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Enoch and Emma Statham lived here in 1933
Enoch Statham died here, aged 75 on 10 May 1935. He was known as ‘Sogom’
William and Violet Skerrat lived here in 1951
In September 1952 William Skerrat and his son Brian lived here.
On 20 November 1952 William and Violet Skerrat lived here.

Gary Skerratt, the son of William and Violet Skerrat was baptised from here 22 March 1959.
In January 1964 William Skerrat and his son Gary lived here. About this time the family moved to 11, Turner Avenue.

 

Fact File No.40

 

William Pepper lived here in 1905
William Pepper lived here in 1910.
William and Emina Pepper and Selina Brindley a sister lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
William Pepper, died here aged 77, on 27 February 1922
Selina Brindley, died here aged 78, on 26 December 1924
Emma Pepper died here aged 78, on 7 August 1927
In September 1938 Arthur Joynson and his son Kenneth lived here.
In July 1944 Arthur Joynson and his son Keith Edward lived here.

Keith Edward Joynson, the son of Arthur and Nellie Joyson was baptised from here on 8 April 1940.
In September 1948 Douglas Fryer and his son Stewart Ian lived here.
Douglas and Lorna Fryer lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Douglas and Lorna Fryer lived here.
In April 1953 Douglas Fryer and his son Anthony Keith lived here.

 

Fact File No.41

 

Mark Dean lived here in 1905
William Webb was the owner occupier here in 1910.
William and Lavinia Webb and their nephew Harry Edwards lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
William Charles Warburton lived here in Jan 1926.
John Webb lived here in 1933
In September 1947 Joseph Davenport and his daughter Dorothy lived here.
Joseph K., Marjorie L. and Dorothy Davenport lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Joseph K. and Marjorie L. Davenport lived here.

 

Fact File No.42

 

Thomas Platt lived here in 1910 when George Howell owned the property
Thomas and Elizabeth Platt lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Dorothy Jean Lovatt, the daughter of Walter and Florence Lovatt was baptised from here 8 May 1922
Freda and Clarence Lovatt, the children of Walter and Florence Lovatt was born here 28 July 1924.
Margaret Johnson the daughter of Archibald and Annie Johnson was born here in 1932.
Ida Platt (1894-1964) was born in Wood lane. She married in 1916 when still living at No. 42.
Arthur and Hilda Hibbs lived here in 1933.
In May 1934 Archibald Johnson and his daughter Eileen Beryl lived here. By July 1934 the family had left the district.
Before March 1935 Fred Johnson and his son Ronald Arthur Johnson lived here. After March 1935 they moved to 3, Wesley Street. (See Wesley Street)

Kathleen Ann Lightfoot, the daughter of Elijah and Kathleen Edith Lightfoot was baptised from here 10 December 1943
In August 1944 Alfred Gardner and his son Michael lived here. They were probably evacuees as in March 1945, they returned to Edgware.
In December 1950 Elijah Lightfoot and his daughter Kathleen lived here.

Eliza Procter and Elija and Kathleen E. Lightfoot lived here in 1951
Hilary Lightfoot, the daughter of Elijah and Kathleen Edith Lightfoot was baptised from here 21 October 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Eliza Procter and Elijah and Kathleen E. Lightfoot lived here.
Eliza Proctor died here 15 January 1963

 

Fact File No.43a

 

Daniel and Emma Brayford and their children: Hilda, Arthur, James, Jenny and George lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Zilliah, the daughter of Thomas and Eliza Cooper, was born here 17 September 1922
Thomas, the son of Thomas and Eliza Cooper was born here 15 July 1926
In September 1926 Thomas Cooper and his daughter Zillah lived here.
Thomas and Eliza Cooper and Percy Brayford lived here in 1933
Joseph Alan Howell was born here 15 January 1939
In August 1942 Frank Durber and his son Harold Leslie lived here.
Elizabeth, John and Helen Deaville lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Elizabeth and John Deaville lived here.

 

Fact File No.44

 

John Sims lived here in 1910.
John and Annie Sims  lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Ann Simms died while living here in Oct 1912.
In June 1928 Walter Bailey lived here with his son Clarence.
In April 1927 Walter Lovatt and his daughter Dorothy lived here.
In September 1929 Walter Lovatt and his daughter Freda lived here.

Walter and Florence Lovatt lived here in 1933
Hannah and Leslie Brayford lived here in 1933
In February 1933 Alfred Cooper and his son Alfred William lived here. The Family had arrived from Upton, Yorkshire. Soon after this date they moved to 36, Miles Green.
Raymond Lovatt, the son of Walter and Florence Lovatt was baptised from here 20th January 1936.
In September 1938 Walter Lovatt and his daughter Cynthia lived here.
In June 1939 Wally Lovatt and his daughter Cynthia lived here.
In October 1940 Raymond Lovatt and his son Raymond lived here.

Irene Lovatt was baptised from here 30th August 1942
Jean Smith, the daughter of Arthur and Freda Smith was baptised from here 21 February 1943
Terence George Hassell, the son of George Thomas and Dorothy Jean Hassell was baptised from here 26 September 1943.
In September 1947 Walter Lovatt and daughter Irene lived here.
Mervyn Hassell, the son of George Thomas and Dorothy Jean Hassell was baptised from here 9 November 1947
Florence Lovatt lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Florence Lovatt lived here.
In September 1961 John Leslie Bedson and his daughter Shirley lived here.
Around April 1965 John Leslie Bedson moved from here from No. 37, Church Street.

 

Fact File No.45

 

Meshack Statham lived here in 1905
Misheck Statham lived here in 1910 when Walter Daniels owned the property.
Meshack and Martha Statham and their son John W. Statham lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Norman White, the son of William Herbert and Vertis Mildred Farrington was born here 26 September 1920
Issac and Clara Clarke lived here in 1933
In September 1938 Isaac Clarke and his son Arthur lived here.
Arthur and John Clarke also lived here in the 1940’s.
In February 1941 Frank Pepper and his daughter May Winifred lived here. In July 1943 the family moved to Leeds.
In August 1944 Charles Asby and his daughters Joyce Emily and Betty Maureen lived here. They were probably evacuees as in September 1944, they returned to Edgware.

George and Dorothy Hassell and George C. Lees lived here in 1951
Pamela Hassell, the daughter of George and Dorothy Hassell was baptised from here 16 December 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Fred and Jennie Johnson lived here.
In September 1956 George Hassall and his daughter Pamela lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.45a

 

John William and Ethel Lovatt and their children: Harold, Harry, Laura and Leonard lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
In February 1943 Frank Gater and his daughter Brenda lived here. By September 1943 the family had moved to Chesterton.

Elizabeth Rowley lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Elizabeth Rowley lived here.

 

Fact File No.46

 

Harry Moores lived here in 1905
In 1909 Elijah Webb lived here. His wife was Elizabeth Jones.
Birth of daughter Alice Melinda Webb in 46, Church Street, Wood Lane, Audley 27 Jun 1909
Elijah Webb lived here in 1910.
They had moved to Bignall Hill by 1911.
Luke and Mary Jane Cope and their son Luke Stanley lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Elizabeth Platt died here on 12 April 1927, aged 72. Elizabeth Hood (1855-1927). Her mother was Mary Baddley and her father was William Hood, they lived at Red Street. She married Thomas Platt in 1881.
Roland Davies lived here in 1929.
George Bailey, Leslie and Ivy Millicent Davies lived here in 1933
In January 1934 George Davies and his son Roland lived here.
Frank Edward Pepper the son of Frank and Frances May Pepper was born here in Jun 1935.
In April 1938 Frank Pepper and his daughter Elizabeth Jean lived here.
In April 1940 Frank Pepper and his son Frank Edward lived here.
After July 1943 the family moved to Leeds.

Judith May Knight, the daughter of William and Lorna Knight was baptised from here 26 December 1943
In September 1948 William Knight and his daughter Judith Mary lived here.
Frederick Knight the son of William and Lorna Knight was baptised from here 17 May 1949
William and Lorna Knight lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 William and Lorna Knight lived here.

In January 1954 William Knight and his son Frederick lived here.
Vivian Elizabeth Knight was born here on 30 May 1954.
In April 1959 William Knight and his daughter Vivian Elizabeth  lived here.

 

  

Fact File No.47

 

Arthur Lowe lived here in 1905
George Brayford lived here in 1910.
George and Maria Brayford and their children: George, Sarah and William lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had five rooms.
In September 1946 George Frost and his daughter Rita lived here.

 

1
Image Twenty: Sarah Brayford, the daughter of George and Maria, born 1897, married Frank Webb in 1917. They are seen here holiday making in Torquay. (Photograph courtesy of Don Wemyss)

 

Sarah Anne Johnson, the daughter of Abraham and Emily Johnson was baptised from here 24 September 1916
Henry, Dorothy Jean and Marjory, son and daughter of Daniel and Lucy Lovatt was born here on 8 May 1922   
Lucy Lovatt was baptised from here 8 May 1922
Marjory Lovatt, the daughter of Daniel and Lucy Lovatt was baptised from here 8 May 1922
Henry Lovatt, the son of Daniel and Lucy Lovatt was baptised from here 8 May 1922
Emily Joynson and Jane Gouldon lived here in 1933
Emily Joynson d.10/2/1937 47,Church Street. aged 75 widow of Abraham.
Rita Frost, the daughter of George and Elsie Hammond Frost was baptised from here 28 October 1941
Brian Skerratt was born here 2 November 1947
George and Elsie H. Frost lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 George, Elsie H. Frost and Ada Tilstone lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.47a

 

Emily Lovatt, a widow, and her children: James, Henry, Eliza, George, Walter, Daniel, Lily, Alfred, Percy and Ada lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
Emily Lovatt died here on 18 October 1927, aged 64.
Daniel and Lucy Lovatt lived here in 1933
In June 1936 Daniel Lovatt and his son Norman Daniel lived here.
Daniel and Lucy Lovatt lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Daniel and Lucy Lovatt lived here.

 

Fact File No.48

 

Frederick Rhodes lived here in 1905
Thomas Roberts lived here in 1910 when the house was owned by John Sims.
Thomas and Ann Roberts lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had four rooms.
John Robert Cooper lived her in 1915, when he was injured in a roof fall at Jamage.
Joyce Mary, the daughter of William and Clara Miller was born here 30th April 1926
William, Ann and Clara Miller lived here in 1933
In January 1931 William Miller and his daughter Joyce Mary lived here.
In January 1934 William Miller and his son Roy Edmund lived here.

John  Peter Miller the son of William and Clara Miller was born here in Aug 1935.
In April 1936 Arthur Clowes and his daughter Beryl. The family had arrived here from Cauldon Road, Stoke.
In June 1940 William Miller and his son John Peter lived here.
In September 1941 William Miller and his son Roy Edmund lived here.
In June 1942 William Miller and his son Roy lived here.
In August 1944 Clara Miller and her son William lived here.

Roy and Clara Miller lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Roy and Clara Miller lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.48a

 

 

Daniel Henshall lived here in 1910 when the house was owned by John Sims
Arthur and Mary Ann Cooper and their children: Thomas, George, Arthur William, Mary Elizabeth, John Robert, Alfred, James Phillip, Florence, Harry, Priscilla and Edward Bilston lived here in April 1911. At that time the property was reported to have had seven rooms.
Arthur and Alfred Cooper lived here from November 1914 to January 1915 when Alfred signed up to fight in WW1 - too young. He was discharged.

Harry Cooper died here aged 27 on 12 April 1929.
In January 1931 William Miller and daughter Joyce Mary lived here.
Arthur, Mary Ann, George and Edward Bilston Cooper lived here in 1933
In August 1944 Charles Cooper and his daughter Sylvia lived here. In February 1945, the family left the district.
In September 1945 Edward Cooper and his daughter Sylvia lived here.

Mary Ann Cooper died her in April 1946, aged 83.
Edward B., Winnie and Sylvia Cooper lived here in 1951.
On 20 November 1952 Edward B. and Winnie Cooper lived here.
In April 1953 Edward Cooper and his daughter Barbara Ann lived here.

Edward Billson Cooper died here 25 May 1963

 

This seems to have been the extent of the street in 1910.

Fact File No.49

 

1
Image Twenty One: An image of No’s 55-69. No. 55 is to the immediate right. (Photo R.Mayer 2010)

 

Fact File No.50

 

In April 1952 William Herbert Simcox and his daughter Patricia Dawn lived here.
On 20 November 1952 William H. and Marjorie Simcox lived here.
In April 1956 William Herbert Simcox and his daughter Diane lived here.
In April 1959 William Simcox and his daughter Susan lived here.
In January 1961 William Simcox and his daughter Heather Ann lived here.

William Herbert Simcox died here 1 March 1961.
In September 1962 Marjorie Simcox and her daughters Jayne and Olwyn lived here.
In April 1978 Stephen Durber and his son David Robert lived here.
In January 1982 Stephen Durber and his daughter Julie Anne lived here.
In April 1990 the Durber family lived here.

 

Fact File No.51

 

On 20 November 1952 Leonard and Joan E. Wilshaw lived here.
In September 1955 Leonard Wilshaw and his daughter Marian Elaine lived here.
In May 1957 Leonard Wilshaw and his son David Leonard George lived here.
In January 1959 Leonard Wilshaw and his son Leonard lived here.
In September 1960 Leonard Wilshaw and his son Charles Alfred lived here.
In April 1962 Leonard Wilshaw and his daughter Thelma lived here.
In April 1967 Leonard Wilshaw and his son Raymond Peter lived here.
Joan Eileen Wilshaw lived here in December 1982.
Leonard Wilshaw lived here in January 1989.
In September 1996 the Wilshaw family lived here.

 

 

Fact File No.52

 

In April 1951 Charles Johnson and his daughter Patricia Ann and son Michael lived here.
In September 1951 Charles Johnson and his son David lived here.
On 20 November 1952 Charles R., Alice A. Johnson and Henrietta F. Millett lived here.
In April 1977 David Johnson and his daughter Ellan Michael lived here.
In September 1980 David Johnson and his son Lee lived here
.

 

Fact File No.53

 

In June 1952 Elijah Poole and his son David lived here.
On 20 November 1952 Elijah and Gladys Poole lived here.
In September 1962 John Platt and his son John Thomas moved to here from 49, Boon Hill.
In September 1963 Derek John Deakin and his son Ian lived here. In July 1964 they had moved to Shrewsbury.

 

The properties below are beyond Woodcroft.

 

Fact File No.54

 

William Arthur Henshall died here 7 February 1962.
In September 1987 Gavin Hinks lived here.

 

Fact File No.55

 

Lily Stretton lived here in January 1983.
Thomas William Stretton lived here in November 1991.

 

Fact File No.56

 

In September 1970 William Wild and his daughter Amanda Jane lived here. They had moved to here from 10, Megacre.
In May 1973 William Wild and his daughter Debra lived here
In September 1976 John Riley and his daughter Helen Marie lived here.

 

1
Image Twenty Two: An image of No’s 54-72. No. 54 is to the immediate right.  (Photo R.Mayer 2010)

 

Fact File No.57

 

In May 1963 Donald Carter and his daughter Margaret Rose lived here.
Trevor Donald Thomas Carter, the son of Donald and Margaret Rose Carter, was baptised from here 9 June 1963.
In December 1965 the family moved to Glasgow.
In April 1966 William Henry Duncalf and his daughter Alison Jayne lived here.
In April 1969 William Henry Duncalf and his son Kevin Richard lived here.
In April 1971 William Henry Duncalf and his son Brian Gerald lived here.
In September 1975 William Henry Duncalf and his daughter Fiona Claire lived here. Shortly afterwards the family moved to 7. Megacre.
In January 1978 Terence Carl Maddocks and his daughter Sonia Joanne lived here.

 

Fact File No.58

 

Philip James Hodgkins, the son of Kenneth John and Joan Beryl Hodgkins was baptised from here 14 September 1958
In April 1959 Kenneth Hodgkins and his son Derek John lived here.
In May 1963 Kenneth John Hodgkins and his son Philip James lived here. By July 1964 the family had moved to Alsager.

Darren John Bould, the son of Norman and Jean Bould was baptised from her 23 February 1969.
In April 1970 Norman Bould and his son Philip lived here. Shortly afterwards they moved to 51, High Street.
In September 1974 Kenneth Large and his daughter Julie Anne lived here.
In September 1976 Stephen Reale lived here with his son Steven Kenneth.
In September 1984 David and Janet Plimbley and their son David Adam lived here.
In September 1987 David and Janet Plimbley and their son Thomas lived here.

 

Fact File No.59

 

Derek Kinsey was baptised from here 25 August 1957
In September 1957 Stanley Kinsey and his daughter Margaret Ann lived here.
In September 1959 Gordon Steele and his son David George lived here.
In January 1969 Gordon Steele and his daughter Angela Carole lived here
In September 1994 - September 1996 the Holmes family lived here.

 

Fact File No.60

 

In September 1957 Peter Robinson and his son Antony lived here.
In January 1970 Frederick Roy Smith and his son Glyn Roy lived here. They had recently moved to here from 28, Turner Avenue.
In April 1987 Kerry Hattersley lived here.
In February 1989 Kerry Hattersley lived here. In Februaru 1989 the family moved to Crackley Bank.

 

Fact File No.61

 

In July 1955 Gordon Steele and his daughter Linda lived here.
In January 1976 Douglas Bloor and his son Jason Mark lived here.
In January 1994 the Harrison family lived here.
In January 1998 the Swann family lived here.

 

Fact File No.62

 

In May 1956 Norman Birks and his daughter Petula Frances lived here.
In April 1959 Norman Birks and his son Paul Harry Charles lived here.

Julie Tracy Bedson, the daughter of Frederick and Pauline Bedson was baptised from here 5 July 1964.
In April 1969 Frederick Bedson and his daughter Julie Tracy lived here.
Carl Kenneth Hughes, the son of Kenneth and Petula Hughes was baptised from here 11 May 1969
In June 1975 Frederick Bedson and his son Dennis Cecil John lived here.
In September 1975 Frederick Bedson and his son Dennis Cecil John lived here. In November 1975 the family moved to Madeley.
In April 1987 James and Julie Johnson and their son Christopher James lived here.
In January 1990 the Rhodes family lived here.

 

Fact File No.63

 

Christine Boardman, the daughter of Roy and Heather Boardman was baptised from here 9 February 1958
In April 1958 Douglas Bloor and his son David John lived here.
In September 1962 John Jones and his family moved from here to 6, Turner Avenue.
In January 1974 Clive Morrey and his son Carl Kenneth lived here.

 

Fact File No.64

 

In September 1957 George Albert Whiston and his son Robert James lived here.
George Albert Whiston lived here in 1961.

Andrew Philip Whiston, the son of George Albert and Ethel May Whiston was baptised from here 30th August 1964
In April 1969 George Whiston and his son Andrew Philip lived here.
In September 1976 George Mainwaring and his daughter Rosemary lived here.

 

Fact File No.65

Shirley Johnstone, the daughter of William Thomas and Margaret Johnstone was baptised from here 19 May 1957
In September 1957 William Johnston and his son Dennis lived here.
In April 1959 William Johnston and his son Mervyn lived here. In September 1960 the family left for Ireland.

 

Fact File No.66

 

Dianne Sanders, the daughter of Kenneth James and Winifred Mary Sanders was baptised from here 9 March 1958.
In September 1955 Kenneth James Sanders and his daughter Linda lived here.
In January 1963 Kenneth Sanders and his family moved from here to 3, Woodcroft.

 

Fact File No.67

 

Anthony Clifford Eardley was baptised from here on 18 September 1955
Angela Irene Eardley, the daughter of Clifford and Norma Eardley was baptised from here 9 February 1958
In September 1958 Clifford Eardley and his daughter Pauline Sandra lived here.
Jacqueline Georgina Susan Eardley, the daughter of Clifford and Norma Eardley was baptised from here 19 April 1959.
In April 1961 Douglas Bloor and his daughter Yvonne Leslie lived here.
In April 1969 Douglas Bloor and his daughter Dawn Leslie lived here.

 

Fact File No.68

 

In September 1971 David Davies and his daughter Tina lived here.
In September 1984 Glenys Frith and her sons Craig Lee and Steven Lloyd lived here.
In January 1987 Glenys Frith and her son Darren Daniel lived here.
In January 1993 - September 1995 the Kirkham family lived here.

 

Fact File No.69

 

Arthur Hibbs lived here in 1953.
In January 1956 Herbert Fryer and his son David John lived here.
In May 1975 Clive Morrey and his daughter Joanne Louise lived here.
In April 1982 Clive Morrey and his daughter Kelly Anne lived here.
In September 1986 David Mathews and his son Phillip Michael lived here.

 

Fact File No.70

 

In January 1959 Arthur James Chell and his son David John lived here.
In April 1967 Joseph Jeffries and his son Paul David lived here.
In January 1970 John Price and his daughter Joanne Rosalind lived here.
In January 1972 John Price and his daughter Annette Jean lived here.
In May 1974 the family emigrated to Australia.
In January 1978 Terence Wiltshaw and his daughter Teresa Susan lived here.
In April 1980 Terence Wiltshaw and his son Malcolm Robert lived here.
In September 1990 the Lee family lived here.
In April 1998 the Dutton family lived here.