Wood Lane – The Changing Face of Apedale Road

Researched by Robert Mayer

Last updated 21 March 2009

 

The first properties to be built in Wood Lane (after the Woodhouse Farm) were built on Apedale Road. At least four properties existed on the road in the 17th century.

As late as 1905 what is now referred to as Apedale Road was simply known as Wood Lane. By 1910 the name Apedale Road was established. On the map of 1900, Apedale Road is referred to as Wood Street. All dates in this article refer to records; actual occupancy was usually much longer.

After World War II there was a shortage of housing in the village and several references will be found in the 1950’s to more than one family in a single property.

 

United%20Methodist%20Free%20Church-x

The United Methodist Free Church

The Reverend E. Skinner gave the address when the foundation stone was laid on 23 September 1871.

 

Behind the photographer, on Peggy’s Bank, in the 1950’s was Selwyn Howell’s office and coal wharf. Selwyn used to ride a horse and is remembered as being a very hard employer. He emigrated to America and died of drowning when he had parked near a harbour and the hand brake failed in his car. 

 

(Photograph courtesy of Mr. Albert Harrison)

Inside the United Methodist Free Church

The Church was extended in 1895. The extension is to the right of the building with different style, less ornate windows. The entrance porch was also added at that time as the plaque immediately above the door is marked as 1895. This extension was the Sunday School. Film shows took place in the Sunday School during the 1950’s. The Church was demolished in 1966.

 

remains%20Hill%20Top%20Chapel%201973-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

This photo, taken in 1973 in the opposite direction from above, shows the junction of Tomfields with Apedale Road, following the demolition of the chapel and no. 1 Apedale Road. The house is no. 1 Tomfields.

  

Wood%20Lane%20-%20Tomfields-x

Looking east. No.1 Apedale Road stands at the left on the corner of Tom Fields. Opposite is West View and beyond is no. 8 Apedale Road. The building immediately to the right is no. 2 Apedale Road. This is the ‘Old Police House’. It appears that this area of development around the connection of Tomfields and Apedale Road may have been called Wood View in the late 1800’s.

 

Tomfields [2]-x

The view in 2008

 

Fact file: No. 1 Apedale Road

 

Joseph Statham had this property built in the 1870’s. Joseph’s son (also called Joseph) died in 1901 and the property passed to his daughter Annice Griggs.  (See “My Hero – My Dad” in Audley Historian no.19).

William Turner lived here in 1905 and was still there in 1910 when B.W.Griggs owned the house (See “Grandparents Remembered” in Audley Historian no.7).

In April 1911 Henry and Elizabeth Platt and their family lived here. The house was recorded as having 6 rooms.

Henry Platt died while living here in April 1911.

In 1933 both Benjamin William Griggs and John Edward Dewhurst and their families lived here. They were still here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 John E. and Eliza Dewhurst and Benjamin William Griggs lived here.

The large window shows that there must have been a shop here. The house was demolished in 1969.

In September 1986 the Frain family lived here.

  

Fact file: No. 2 Apedale Road

 

Originally called ‘West View’, then ‘The Old Police House’, now ‘Sanddon’.

 

Joseph Statham of the Woodhouse Farm bought the land in Sept 1895 from the Midland Coal Coke and Iron Company.

By the will of Joseph Statham, made in October 1901 the land was bequeathed to his married daughter Amy Turner and ownership passed on his death in October 1902.

In April 1911 William Turner and his family lived here. The house was reported as having six rooms and was called ‘West View.’ Two of William Turner’s sons: Joseph and William were killed in WW1. The first to die was Joseph in October 1914, by which time the family had moved to Butt Lane.

In 1917 Mr G Stubbs lived here.

 

Purchased by Staffordshire County Council for the use of the constabulary in 1928.

In June 1931 Fred Arrowsmith and his daughter Emily Floss lived here. They had moved to this property from 21, High Street. (See High Street).

By November 1937 the family had moved to Red Street.

In March 1946 Samuel Ryder and his daughter Kathleen Roberta lived here. It appears that just after he was transferred to Smethwick.

In January 1963 Peter Colclough and his son Paul Michael lived here.

 

Police Officers known to have occupied the house are:

Constable ‘Bobby’ Hackett

Constable Samuel Ryder

Constable Les Cooper

Constable Peter Colclough in the 1960’s < 1967

 

………………..and stop at the top outside the Old Police House where P.C. Bill (should be Les)

Cooper is about to get onto his big 'sit up and beg' bicycle. He has his cape over

his shoulder and in those days you could easily have had a clip round the ears

with the cape, however we did not have too many vandals or hooligans running

riot round the village then. (Bert Proctor; Wood Lane Newsletter Spring 2008)

The house went out of use as a police house in the 1960’s when the police moved to no. 23. (See No.23)

 

Sold as a police house in 1966.

   

Fact file: No. 3 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 James Madew and his family lived here. The house was reported as having three rooms.

Fred Howell and his family lived here in 1933.

In September 1934 Fred Howell and his daughter Ettie lived here.

In April 1938 John Morgan and his daughter Beatrice June lived here.

In March 1942 Joseph Grayson and his son David Joseph lived here. The family had arrived from New Brighton.

In April 1942 Joseph Grayson and his daughter Jemima lived here. In November 1942 they moved to Alsager.

In September 1945 Albert Oakden and his daughter Margaret lived here. The family had moved from Tom Fields.

Albert Oakden and his family along with Maria Brain lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Roy and Joyce Pointon lived here.

In September 1957 Roy Pointon and his daughter Barbara Anne  lived here.

Yvonne Carol Pointon lived here in December 1957.

 

Fact file: No. 4 Apedale Road

 

No. 4 has caused some difficulty. Although it is referred to as being in Apedale Road, people who lived there believed it to be on Tomfields.

George Hodgkinson lived here in 1910.

 

Fact file: No. 5 Apedale Road

 

Emma Henshall lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 Annice Chidlow and her daughter lived here. The house was reported as having three rooms.

Frank and Lilly Painter lived here in 1921.

Enoch Clark and his family lived here in 1933.

In May 1943 Joseph Howell and his son Joseph A. lived here.

Joseph H. Howell and his family together with John Williamson lived here in 1950.

In September 1952 Joseph and his daughter Joyce Howell lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Joseph and Stella Howell lived here.

In June 1956 Clarence Lovatt and his son Melvyn Douglas and daughter Linda lived here. About this time they moved to Queen Street, Audley.

 

Fact file: No. 6 Apedale Road

 

Harriet Hodgkinson lived here and owned the house in 1910.

  

Fact file: No. 7 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 John Rhodes and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

John Basford Morrey the son of Harry and Elizabeth Morrey was born here on 17 September 1916.

Harry and Elizabeth Morrey lived here in July 1924.

In March 1927 Harry Morrey and his daughter Lena lived here.

Harry and Elizabeth Morrey lived here in 1929.

Fred and Jessica Howell lived here in 1930. They moved to no. 3 between 1930 and 1933.

Percy Durber and his family lived here in 1933.

In September 1930 Percy Durber and his son George lived here. By August 1934 the Durber family had left the district.

George and Annie Jane Guest lived here in October 1933.

In September 1935 Harry Morrey and his daughter Margaret Evelyn lived here.

In December 1936 Reginald Leek and his daughter Vera Jean lived here.

Peter Green, the son of Alfred Bernhard and Eva Green was born here in Jul 1941.

Sheila Eva Green, the son of Alfred Bernhard and Eva Green was born here in Nov 1943.

In January 1946 Bernard Green and his son Peter lived here.

Kenneth Bernhard Green, the son of Alfred Bernhard and Eva Green was born here in Apr 1947.

In September 1948 Bernard Green and his daughter Sheila Eva lived here.

Alfred Bernhard and Eva Green lived here in 1950. Bernhard had been in charge of prisoners in the Second World War and could speak German. He was one of the first people in the village to have a television after coming out of the army in 1953. He was a service voter in November 1951. He did the white pointing to no. 102 Apedale Road in 1960.

In September 1951 Alfred Bernard Green and his son Kenneth Bernard Green lived here.

   

Fact file: No. 8Apedale Road

 

William Jones lived here between 1905 and 1910 when Mrs W. Turner owned the house.

In April 1911 Frank and Mary Statham and their family lived here. The building was noted as having four rooms. 

Mary Jane Painter lived here in November 1923.

John William Cooper and his family and Thomas William Stretton (known as Bill) lived here in 1933. John William Cooper (known as Jack) and his family were still there in 1950.

 

q

John William Cooper about 1920

 

On 20 November 1952 John W. and Florence Cooper lived here.

 

The Bungalow that replaced No.8:

In September 1979 Alan Goodwin and his son Kristen lived here.

In April 1984 Alan and Jean Goodwin and their daughter Michelle Louise lived here.

  

Apedale Road [1]-x

This view shows nos. 9-11 and the school at left. In the middle distance is no. 23. Nearest camera at right is no. 8, where Jack Cooper lived, and beyond is no. 14. No. 8 is remembered as being a very small cottage.

In between nos. 8 and 14 Jabez Henshall built the bungalow that stands there today. Mrs Minshull lived at that bungalow. She was a schoolteacher at Halmerend. She came from the south west and had a very interesting history, having been confirmed in Wells Cathedral.

In the left foreground where the people are standing, partially hidden was an alley that led to nos. 1, 3, 5 and 7 Apedale Road.

Behind the larger double fronted house on the left was an alley that led to a further three houses, nos. 13-15 Apedale Road.

 

Apedale%20Road,%20Wood%20Lane%20%5b2%5d%2026Jan2007-x

Very little remains in this 2007 view. The hedge immediately on the right belongs to a detached bungalow, which is the ‘new’ no. 8. The mock Tudor property to the right of middle is no. 14. The red brick building slightly left of centre is Wood Lane School.

 

Group-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

A photograph of some the ladies of Wood lane taken in the copse behind ‘Wood View’ in Apedale Road. No. 5 (on the photograph) is Sarah Hodgkinson (née Lee) who lived at no. 4 Apedale Road. No. 6 (on the photograph) is Agnes Hodgkinson (née Lee) who lived at no. 90 Apedale Road. No. 7 (on the photograph) is Eliza Hodgkinson (née Clutton) who lived at no. 6 Apedale Road. No. 9 (on the photograph) is believed to be Mrs. Rowley who lived at no. 36 Apedale Road. No. 10 (on the photograph) is Eliza Griggs who lived at no. 1 Apedale Road. No. 15 (on the photograph) is Annie Rowley who lived at no. 36 Apedale Road. No. 19 (on the photograph) is Lois Hodgkinson (later Harrison, later Edge) who lived at both no. 90 and no. 76 Apedale Road. No. 20 (on the photograph) is Sarah Hodgkinson (later Riley) who lived at no. 90 Apedale Road and Linden Lea.

 

Fact file: No. 9 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 William Jones and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Isaac and Mary Elizabeth Simm lived here in 1920.

Marjory Morrey lived here in December 1923.

John Harold Wade and his family lived here in 1933.

Francis W. Craddock and family lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Francis W. and Nora Craddock lived here.

Frank and Nora Craddock were big Hill Top Chapel people.

 

Apedale Road 002 Sketch x

(Sketch courtesy of Mr Philip Jepson)

A sketch of the western end of Apedale Road drawn in 1960 by Philip Jepson. The view is looking from the south and locates the occupants of all the properties subsequently demolished. The fronts of the three houses on Tom Fields (Albert Oakden, Joe Howell and Bernhard Green’s) were all to the entry and their backs were on Tom Fields. This accounts for their addresses being in Apedale Road. Intriguingly no. 11 is believed to have been an ‘Old Chapel’.

Phone box-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

This photograph can be dated to February 1970 with workmen starting to remove the public phone kiosk that stood in Apedale Road. In the background the Primitive Chapel remains intact. Of equal interest is that the man with the bag is Mr Frank Craddock who lived at no. 9 Apedale Road.

 

Fact file: No. 10 Apedale Road

 

John Fowles lived here and owned the house in 1910.

In April 1911 John and Frances Fowles and their family lived here and the house was reported as having three rooms.

 

W M C Committee 1920 -25 v J Fowles

John Fowles about 1920

 

Fact file: No. 11 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 Amos Statham and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Emma and John Craddock lived here in 1933.

John Craddock died at Apedale Road in 1939, he was 75.

Emma Craddock died at Apedale Road in 1948, she was 84.

Ivy Holland and Millicent Jones, the Craddock sisters, lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Ivy M. Holland and Millicent E. Jones lived here.

The family came from near Wem in Shropshire and Millie Craddock was a qualified nurse.

 

Fact file: No. 12 Apedale Road

 

George Statham Lived here in 1910 when the representatives of M. Cork owned the house.

In April 1911 George Crosby and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Martha A. Statham, Eunice Durber and Alfred and George Cooper lived here in 1933.

The Webb and Walker families lived here in the 1950’s.

 

Fact file: No. 13 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 Daniel Henshall and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Isaac f and his family lived here in 1933.

In January 1950 Jeffrey Jones lived here.

Charles B. Jones and family lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Charles B. and Doris Jones lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 14 Apedale Road (Also known as 'The Spinney')

 

In 1910 John Morrey was the owner occupier.

In April 1911 John and Elizabeth Morrey and their family lived here when the building was reported as having four rooms.

Walter Daniels and his family lived here in 1933.

Emma Daniels lived here in April 1936.

Walter Charles Daniels, the Wood Lane diarist, lived here from 1933 to November 1946.

James Minshall and family lived here in 1950. His wife, Lillian (née Daniels), was a schoolteacher.

On 20 November 1952 James and Lilian M. Minshall lived here.

In April 1967 Clifford Shingler and his daughters Lynne and Debra lived here.

In January 1969 Clifford Shingler and his daughter Dawn lived here.

In May 1970 the family emigrated to Australia.

In June 1970 Jack Rogerson and his son Nigel Carl and daughter Heather Chantelle, lived here. The family had arrived from Tarvin. In February 1973 they moved to Devon.

In April 1978 Frank Corthorn and his son Paul lived here.

In January 1982 Frank Corthorn and his daughter Sarah lived here.

 

Nos. 15-19 Apedale Road stood back from the road and, according to Philip Jepson, they were referred to as ‘up the gardens’.

 

Fact file: No. 15 Apedale Road

 

Henry Lomax lived here in1910 when Allen Statham owned the house.

In April 1911 Sidney Hopwood and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Tom and Jane Goodwin lived here in 1923. They were still there in 1926.

In April 1928 Ernest Ashbrooke and his son Ralph lived here.

In January 1929 Ernest Ashbrooke and his daughter Olwen lived here.

In April 1930 Ernest Ashbrooke and his son Ernest Gerald lived here.

Ernest Ashbrook and his family lived here in 1933.

In May 1935 Ernest Ashbrooke and his daughter Rose Ellan lived here.

In June 1938 Arthur Clarke and his daughter Doreen lived here.

In April 1949 Arthur Fryer and his daughter Sandra lived here.

Arthur Fryer and family and William A. Jackson (known as Bill) lived here in 1950.

Before 20 November 1952 William A. Jackson left this property.

  

Fact file: No. 17 Apedale Road

 

Alfred Statham lived here between 1905 and 1910 when Allen Statham owned the house.

In April 1911 Alfred Statham and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

John and Sarah Jane Wade lived here between 1921 and 1924.

In April 1927 Ernest Burgess and his daughter Gladys lived here.

In May 1932 Ernest Burgess and his daughter May lived here.

Ernest and Martha Burgess lived here from June 1927-1950.

On 20 November 1952 Ernest, Martha and Gladys Burgess lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 19 Apedale Road

 

Allen Statham lived here in 1910 and owned the property.

In April 1911 Allen Statham and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Harold the son of George and Alice Pennell was born here in May 1920.

Allen Statham died in May 1922 at the age of 62.

George and Emily Burgess lived here in September 1923.

In January 1928 Harry Morrey and his daughter Alice lived here.

Harry and Elizabeth Morrey, who were in no. 7 in 1924, were living here in 1933.

In September 1933 Harry Morrey and his son Ernest Kenneth lived here.

In October 1938 Charles Davenport and his daughter Pearl lived here.

In January 1941 Charles Davenport and his daughter Sheila lived here.

Charles Davenport (known as Charlie) and family lived here in 1950.

In September 1952 Charles Davenport and his daughter Ann lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Charles and Emma H. Davenport lived here.

 

Fact file: Nos. 20-22 Apedale Road

 

Known as the ‘Woodlands’

No. 20 Frank Riley lived here and used to be the caretaker at the school. Doreen Riley also lived here. (See No. 76)

No. 22 Napthali Statham and his family lived here from 1933 to 1950. They had left this property by 20 November 1952.

Samuel Jones and family lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Samuel and Sarah E. Jones lived here.

In April 1956 Cyril Smith and his daughter Christine Mary lived here.

In March 1971 Patrick Clowes and his daughter Kathryn Anne lived here.

In September 1973 Patrick Clowes and his son Leslie Ivor lived here.

In April 1976 Patrick Clowes and his son Michael William lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 21 Apedale Road

 

Frank Goodwin and his family lived here in 1933.

 

Wood%20Lane%20School-x

Wood Lane School

The first school in Wood Lane opened in 1858 in what would later become Church Street. In 1904 the headmistress was Mrs Glover of Halmerend with three assistant teachers; Miss Ethel Webb, Miss Eva Webb and Miss Lily Whalley.

The ‘new’ school in Apedale Road was built in 1909. It had two buildings, one for infants and one for juniors and seniors. The juniors’ building was the one nearer the road. In 1928 the seniors were transferred to Ravens Lane.

The heads were as follows:

Junior School

1909 – 1917 Mr. W. E. Stevens

1917 – 1928 Mr. Flamank

1928 – 1947 Mr. W. N. Gardiner: when Miss Edwards, Miss Bailey and Miss

White were also teachers.

1947 – 1950 Mr. William Bradley

1950 – 1961 Mr Roland Tapley (died 1961)

1961 Miss Bailey

1962 - Mr. Graham Heath

Infant School

1909 Mrs. Johnson

?? Miss. A. Barber

?? Miss. Edwards

School-x

The school in 2008

  

Fact file: No. 23 Apedale Road

 

Thomas Bartlem lived here in 1910 when Sir George Boughey owned the house.

In April 1911 Stephen Jebb and his family lived here and Thomas Bartlem was a lodger. Ten people lived in a house reported as having four rooms.

He was still living here in 1933.

Isaac and Caroline Gibson lived here in 1950. Caroline Gibson always wore a man’s flat cap.

Caroline Gibson had left the property before 20 November 1952.

Isaac Gibson was here on 1st January 1961, he was a retired colliery worker.

Isaac Gibson was here in August 1965.

The ‘New Police House’ was built on this site, which became the Wood Lane Community Centre in the late 1990’s.

Community Centre-x

Wood Lane Community Centre in 2008

George Griffiths built the bungalow immediately to the right of this picture about 1970. Before the bungalow was built there was a garage there, which George used for his car hire business. The car was a Humber Super Snipe. Quite some car for Wood Lane in the 1950’s. (Albert Harrison)

 

Police Officers known to have occupied the house are:

Constable Derek Ackerley 1967 <> 1970

Constable Douglas Stanier >1973 <> 1978

 

In March 1967 Derek Ackerley and his daughter Susanne Linda lived here.

In April 1967 Derek Ackerley and his son Ian Mark lived here. The family moved to Silverdale in July 1970.

In September 1973 Douglas Stanier and his sons Martin Douglas and Mark Adrian lived here. They had arrived from Uttoxeter.

 

Fact file: No. 35 Apedale Road

 

Lancelot Statham lived here and owned the house in 1910.

Melvyn Douglas Brassington was born here in March 1948.

In September 1952 Douglas Brassington and his daughter lived here.

  

Fact file: No. 36 Apedale Road

 

Emily Rowley lived here in 1910 when Sir George Boughey owned the house.

Emily Rowley married John Ephraim Farrington while living here on 16 December 1932.

Arthur Edward and Annie Rowley lived here until 1950 with their nine children. Arthur sold and delivered paraffin by horse and cart. He is described by Philip Jepson as ‘a thin little man with a moustache and a cap’.

Kenneth Henshall was born here in November 1946.

The Tinsleys lived here after the Rowleys and then the Beardsleys.

  

Fact file: Wood Lane Liberty Workingmen’s Club

 

W

Wood Lane Workingmen’s Club just before it was demolished

 

The club was built in 1920 and first appears in records in 1921 with Reuben Durber as the secretary. In 1936 Wood Lane Liberty Workingmen’s Club and Institute Limited operated from the site with George Brayford as secretary. George Brayford remained secretary in 1940. The original building was wooden up until the 1950’s.

WM%20Club%20Committee

Wood Lane Liberty Workingmen’s’ Club and Institute Limited Committee 1924 (Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

At the back left to right; John William Cooper (who lived at No. 8 Apedale Road), A. Wareham, J. Fowles, J. Horne, S. Moss, A. Hogarth.

Middle Row left to right; D. Brayford, G. Powell, G. Durber (Secretary) Sam Cooper (President) (who lived in Coopers Bungalow) G. Rowley, (Treasurer) R. Freeman, J. Cork.

Front Row, left to right; Edgar Warburton, (who lived at No.78 Apedale Road) E. Joynson, Walter Joynson, (who lived at No. 10 Apedale Road), J. Rhodes.

The Club’s status as a Society was cancelled Friday, 2 March 2001

 

Ray Buckley built the house partially behind the club and standing back from the road in the 1960’s as a home-cum-studio. (He was an artist)

The ground behind the club was known as the Bowling Green. Was it ever used as such?

Next door to the club was the Band Room, which was built in 1921; previously this had been located in Church Street.

Club site-x

A 2008 view showing new houses on the former club site

 

WoodLaneApedaleRoad_02-x

Apedale Road looking west from beyond Church Street. On the left are nos. 76 to no. 82 (nearest camera) and opposite is the Primitive Methodist Chapel. As can be seen here, the old men of the village used to sit on the wall by the Primitive Chapel, taking great joy in telling off misbehaving youngsters.

 

Church Street section [3]-x

The view in 2008

 

Apedale%20Road%20and%20girls-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

Apedale Road looking east and almost the reverse view of the picture immediately above. To the immediate left is the wall of the Primitive Chapel.

Following on the left is Church Street and then the hut/shop of Emily and Moses Barlow. They were greengrocers selling eggs butter and cheese. They also travelled by horse and cart to local markets, including Sandbach and Market Drayton to sell their goods. What time did they used to set out?

To the immediate right, and with ‘Linden Lea’ not yet built, the fence comes right up to no. 76.

Immediately to the left and before the chapel was A.R.P. H/Q shelter for W.W.2

 

Church Street section-x

The same area as above in 2008

 

Fact file: ‘Linden Lea’

 

Built 1953. The young lady on the right in the above photo was Sarah Hodgkinson, later Riley, who had ‘Linden Lea’ built.

Apedale%20Road%20from%20Linden%20Lea-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

Apedale Road looking west from the garden of Linden Lea. The Wood Lane Liberty Workingmen’s Club and Institute is in the immediate foreground, beyond which house numbers have been marked for reference.

Walter Hodgkinson lived here in June 1968.

In January 1981 Roy Proctor and his daughter Lisa Ann lived here.

In January 1985 Roy and Mary Proctor and their daughter Emma lived here.

In September 1986 Roy and Mary Proctor and their daughters Helen and Elizabeth lived here.

Bernard Kitchener Riley lived here in April 1991.

 

Fact file: No. 76 Apedale Road

 

Enoch Whalley both owned the house and lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 Enoch Whalley and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Enoch Whalley funeral card 16 Sep 1920 aged 78.

Annie Whalley lived here in 1933.

Frank Riley lived here in 1950, together with Selwyn and Lily Hood and family. Selwyn was a bus conductor. They were still here on 20 Nov 1952.

In April 1952 Selwyn Thomas and his daughter Margaret Hood lived here.

In January 1957 Selwyn Thomas and his daughter Susan Hood lived here.

Mary Riley lived here in March 1986.

 

Fact file: No. 78 Apedale Road

 

Daniel Hogarth both owned the house and lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 Daniel Hogarth and his family lived here. The house was reported as having four rooms.

Noel Warburton lived here in January 1926.

In August 1927 Edgar Warburton and his son Warren lived here.

Edgar Warburton and his family lived here in 1933.

In October 1935 Thomas Broome and his daughter June Marion lived here. At about this time they moved to 25, High Street. (See High Street).

Mr Hemas Broome, a fried fish dealer, was here in 1936.

In April 1936 Mr Thomas Broome and his daughter Olive Broome lived here.

Reg and Lois Harrison lived here between 1936 and 1939. Albert Harrison was born here in 1938.

In May 1941 Harry Macintosh and his son Donald and daughter Valerie lived here.

John T. Morgan and family lived here in 1950. John used to sing in the choir at the Hill Top Chapel.

On 20 November 1952 John T. and Phylis A. (junior and senior) Morgan lived here.

  

Fact file: No. 80 Apedale Road

 

Also known as ‘Wood View’ and built in 1893. It was the living quarters to no.82.

No 80

The post office in Wood Lane opened on or before 1896 and was run by Mrs Elizabeth Statham. (See No.16 Church Street) Letters were received via Bignall End at 7.30am and despatched at 7.30pm.

 

 

In the left hand window were Post Office leaflets and posters. In the right hand window were jars of sweets. On entering, the floor was brown linoleum; to the left was the post office counter. To the right was a sweet counter and straight ahead was the grocery and greengrocery counter with a storeroom behind. There were shelves and drawers all around the room. The refrigerator was very noisy and used to ‘thump’. Philip Jepson recalls that children used to call for a penny (1d.) lollipop on their way home from school.

 

In April 1911 three families lived here and the building was reported as having 8 rooms and was called ‘Wood View’ so this probably represents No. 82 as well.

 

William Clews and his family lived here. He was a Grocer and Draper.

Allen and Ellen White lived here, he was a Blacksmith.

David and Evangelina Holding lived here, he was a Rope Splicer.

 

So the Post Office was not here in 1911.

 

This was the grocer’s shop of Alfred Statham until his death in 1933.

His wife Hannah continued the business.

It is also recorded as Wood Lane Post Office from 1932 until 1943.

In April 1935 John Statham and his daughter Maureen lived here.

Hannah Statham continued at the post office until 1943. Nellie Statham lived here until Mrs Hancock arrived.

In May 1946 Fred Shemilt and his daughter Lois Ann lived here.

Lois Hancock, William H. Espley, Thomas F. Shemilt and Nellie Shemilt all lived here in 1950, when it was still the Post Office.

On 20 November 1952 William H. and Lois Espley and Nellie Shemilt lived here.

Mr Shemilt had a private car hire business. Lois Hancock was a Shemilt.

Harry Espley married Mrs Hancock and then ran the Post Office, followed by a Mr Tudor, A.N. Other, a Scots man and a Mr Wilson.

 

In January 1985 Andrew Roy Wilson and his sons Joseph Mark and Samuel Luke lived here.

WoodLaneApedaleRoad_01-x

A similar view to the one above with no. 88 nearest camera

The lady in the road is wearing a flat cap, this may be Mrs Gibson, see the reference to no. 23. Immediately to the right and only just visible is the Barlow’s shop.

 

Apedale%20Road,%20Wood%20Lane%20%5b1%5d%2026Jan2007-x

The scene in 2007 with no. 84 rebuilt at left. The chapel has gone and new buildings stand on the corner of Church Street.

 

Wood%20Lane%20Primitive%20Methodist%20Chapel-x

Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Reverend E. Pugh gave the address when the chapel opened on 12 April 1862. The chapel was demolished in 1972/73.

prim,s%20chapel%20demolition%201972%20or3%20No-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

The chapel demolition viewed in 1972/3 as the new bungalows in Church Street are erected.

 

Fact file: No. 82 Apedale Road

 

The same building as no. 80 and now one house but previously known asWood View’ and built in 1893.

In 1899 Herbert Richardson put his shop up for sale in Wood View, Wood Lane. It was considered to be the best-situated shop in Wood Lane. The shop was still up for sale in May 1900, advertised as a grocer’s house and shop.

It was put up for auction by the owner, a Mr D. Richmond in 1900.

In 1902 Herbert Richardson, who was obviously still trading from the premises, advertised that he had become an agent for Horniman’s Tea.

In 1910 no. 82 was recorded as ‘Wood View’ and was occupied and owned by William Clews, who had been a grocer in Wood Lane since at least 1896. William Clews died in Shelton in 1934, aged 87.

 

Fact file: No. 84 Apedale Road

 

Joseph Austin lived here in 1910 when Walter Daniels owned the property, which was noted as being a shop.

Reg Harrison had a butchers shop here up until 1939. It was a lock up shop.

This shop had white tiles from floor to ceiling and was always cold.

Doug Banks reopened the shop in the 1950’s. After that Brian Griffiths ran it. Later Mary Manifold ran it.

  

Fact file: No. 86 Apedale Road

 

Samuel Durber lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 Samuel Durber and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Eva Cork was married while living here on 7 December 1924.

Charles Cork died while living here in May 1927.

William Guest was living here from 1933 to 1935.

In October 1935 Mrs Eva Guest and her daughter Barbara Guest lived here.

Amos Hopwood was a lodger here in the 1940’s.

Barbara and Eva Guest lived here in 1950. Barbara Guest married John Hodgkinson.

On 20 November 1952 John B. and Barbara Hodgkinson and Eva Guest lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 88 Apedale Road

 

William Hopwood lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 William Hopwood and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Charles Cork Lived here in May 1927.

In September 1930 Arthur Jones and his son William lived here. Shortly after this date they move to 4, Tomfields. (See Tomfields)

Emma Cork died in Apedale Road in 1936, aged 71.

William H. Jones was living here from 1933 to 1950,

On 20 November 1952 William H. Jones lived here. His wife Annie Jones was not recorded.

After this Mrs Lillian Minshull lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 90 Apedale Road

 

David Durber both owned the house and lived here in 1910.

In April 1911 David Durber and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Hugh Hodgkinson died while living here in October 1932.

Reginald and Lois Harrison lived here in 1935.

In December 1939 Lois Harrison and her daughter Margaret lived here.

In January 1943 Lois Harrison and her son Albert lived here.

Walter and Agnes Hodgkinson lived here from 1933 to December 1962. Walter ran his poultry farm from here from 1936 to 1962.

Bernard K. Riley and his family were also living here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Walter and Agnes Hodgkinson and Bernard K. and Sarah Riley lived here.

In September 1973 Albert Harrison and his son Andrew Gareth lived here.

In January 1977 Albert Harrison and his son Christopher Matthew lived here.

In January 1982 Albert Harrison and his daughter Clare Elizabeth lived here.

Shortly afterwards, in 1982, the family moved to 2, Stephens Way.

In April 1982 Stephen Bascombe and his daughter Samantha Jane and his son Kirk Frederick Arthur lived here.

 

Shop rent book-x

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

 

Reginald Harrison’s rent book, from 1935, describing a butcher’s lock up shop in Apedale Road. See no.84.

In January 1985 Richard Whalley lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 92 Apedale Road

 

Ralph Johnson both owned the house and lived here from 1910 to 1933.

In April 1911 Ralph Johnson and his family lived here. The house was reported as having six rooms.

In March 1937 Arthur Statham and his daughter Marie lived here. They had arrived here from Albert Street, Chesterton.

In September 1939 Fred Howell and his daughter Ettie lived here. They had returned to Wood lane from Brereton.

The Farringtons lived here before the Johnsons.

In November 1942 Fred Johnson and his son Ronald lived here.

Fred Johnson and his family lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1951 Fred and Jennie Johnson lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Joseph W. and Lilly Harvey and Kenneth and Winifred Davies lived here.

In September 1955 Joseph William and his son Terence Harvey lived here.

In April 1966 Joseph William and his son Graham lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 94 Apedale Road

 

David and Martha Bromley both owned the house and lived here from 1910 to 1933.

In April 1911 David Bromley and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Frank Bromley was 15 and a grocer’s assistant.

Frank Bromley No.11/731 A Battery 190 Brigade Royal Field Artillery died 21/10/1918 age 22 son of David & Martha 94 Apedale Road Wood Lane.

John Bromley, the son of David Bromley married Mary Howell of Bignall End while living here on 8 July 1920.

Martha Bromley died at Apedale Road in 1936, aged 75.

David Bromley died at Apedale Road in 1943, aged 79.

Philip Eric Platt was born here in August 1946.

In April 1949 Arthur Platt and his son Terence Norman lived here.

Arthur Bromley Platt and his family lived here in 1950.

In May 1950 Arthur Platt and his son Philip Eric lived here.

On 20 November 1951 Arthur B. and Lilian Platt lived here. They were not here in November 1952.

After the Platts, Don Scott and his family lived here.

  

Fact file: No. 96 Apedale Road

 

In April 1911 George Frank Bostock and his family lived here. The house was reported as having three rooms.

This building had been a shop at some time having a shop front. The property used to jut out into the road and the pavement stopped at it on both sides.

Harry and Edith Garbutt lived here in 1921. They were still here in 1924.

Harriet Proctor was living here in 1933.

In October 1936 Henry Hopewell and his daughter Joan Lillian lived here.

In October 1938 Bernard Edwards and his daughter Barbara lived here.

In April 1940 Bernard Edwards and his son Bernard Samuel lived here.

In June 1946 Bernard Edwards and his son Bernard Samuel lived here. The family had arrived from Abbey Hulton.

The Edwards family lived here in 1950.

 

WoodLaneApedaleRoad_03a-x

No. 108 is immediate left. Four shops are shown in this view. Above the doorway of no. 106 is a sign reading ‘Police’. PC Allen, however, lived at No 108 in 1911. (see No 108)

Just visible in front of the chapel and behind the tree to the right, in this photograph, George Statham owned a small workshop.

Fixed to the wall was a postage style box into which Wood Lane residents put messages for the water man. One November persons unknown placed a firework inside the box and blew the door off. (Albert Harrison 2008)

 

nos 100-108

The same area in 2008

  

Fact file: No. 100 Apedale Road

 

Bill Statham had this house built.

In 1910 this property was a house. Frank Bostock lived here and George Statham, son of Bill, owned it.

In April 1911 William and Anne Statham and his family lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

In 1932 Mrs Annie Statham was a grocer here.

In 1933 Thomas Harrison and his family lived here.

In 1936 Mrs Florence Harrison was a grocer here.

George Statham and his family lived here from 1944 until 1976, followed by David Jones.

In September 1976 David Jones and his sons David Andrew and Stephen Allan and his daughter Tracy Amanda lived here.

Edith Ellen Statham lived there up and until 1975.

 

Fact file: ‘Wood End House’ no. 102 Apedale Road

 

No 102

Samuel White had this property built in 1879.

Ezekiel Rogers, a draper and clothier, was here in between 1905 and 1910. The property was noted as being a house and shop.

On 30 August 1926 Gladys May White got married while living here.

Miss White lived here in the 1940’s before selling the property to William Jepson in 1943. William and his family lived here from 1944.

In May 1946 William Jepson and his son Philip lived here.

On 20 November 1952 William and Elsie Jepson lived here.

Philip Jepson still lives here.

  

Fact file: No. 104 Apedale Road

 

In 1910 this property was the house and shop of Samuel White who also owned a smithy in Church Street.

By 1912 this was the Wood Lane Branch of the Butt Lane Industrial Co-operative Society Limited.

In 1936 the Butt Lane Industrial Co-operative Society Limited remained in this property.

In the 1950’s the Co-op was the ‘big one’ selling everything. On Friday I would do the big order, fill a cardboard box with my goods and leave it at the shop with my name on. Later in the day the Co-op bread delivery man on his return journey from Wood Lane would deliver my box free of charge. (Wood Lane Newsletter, Issue 11, April 2003)

In 1940 the Butt Lane Industrial Co-operative Society Limited remained in this property. Emily Wade and Ada Dodd ran it.

The Buckley brothers had this house in the late 1940’s. They hired the shop part of the building for model making.

In August 1944 Percy Brayford lived here with his sons Stanley Howard and Graham.

Luther Jepson and his family lived here in 1950 and ran a radio and electrical repair business.

On 20 November 1952 Luther and Marion Jepson lived here.

The Buckley Bros hired the shop part of the building for model making.

In June 1962 William Robert Green and his son Bruce and daughter Sylvia Ruth lived here. The family had moved to Wood Lane from Stockton Brook.

In May 1963 Barry Arthur and his daughter Audrey Susan Quinton lived here. The Family had moved to here from Crewe.

In September 1965 Barry Arthur and his daughter Wendy Ann Quinton lived here.

In April 1987 - April 1989 the Smith family lived here.

   

Fact file: No. 106 Apedale Road

 

This house was built before no. 102, making it older than 1879.

George Allman lived here in 1910 when Samuel White owned the property, which was noted as being a house and shop.

In April 1911 Harriet Alkins and her family lived here. The house was reported as having six rooms.

In July 1931 Watson Oldershaw and his daughter lived here.

Watson Oldershaw and his family were living here in 1933.

By December 1933 the Oldershaw family had moved to Chesterton.

In 1940 Mrs Janet Moreton is recorded here as a shopkeeper. In the above photograph, taken in the early 1900’s, the building was a police house.

This was the chip shop which had tiled walls and an ‘L’ shaped counter, complete with chipper machine. Salt and vinegar containers were on the counter together with the essential newspaper wrappings. The chip pan had ornate tiles on it and was made by Stotts of Oldham.

In August 1942 Frank Durber and his son Harold Leslie lived here.

Frank Durber and his family lived here from around 1944.

In September 1952 George Hassall and his son Mervyn lived here.

On 20 November 1952 George and Dorothy Hassall lived here.

In September 1961 John White and his son David John lived here.

In January 1963John White and his son Andrew lived here.

In January 1964 Howard Tomlinson Hunter and his family lived here. In July 1964 they left the district.

In April 1972 Derek Cooper and his daughter Jeanette lived here.

In January 1986 - January 1991 the Pepper family lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 108 Apedale Road

 

Harriet Alkins lived in and owned the property in 1910.

In April 1911 Thomas Allen and his family lived here. The house was reported as having six rooms. Thomas Allen was a Police Constable.

Joseph Ernest Butler and his wife lived here in October 1918 when Joseph was reported to have died of his wounds in France. He was No.24637 of the 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment. He had worked at Crewe works.

Richard William Barter and his family lived here in 1933.

Before September 1930 Joseph Breeze and his family moved here from 16 Primitive Street. (See Primitive Street).

In September 1930 Joseph Breeze and his son Philip lived here.

The Breeze family lived here from before 1944 and their daughter Kath married a Proctor and continued to live here.

In September 1945 Kathleen Proctor and her son George lived here.

In January 1948 Kathleen Proctor and her daughter Jean lived here.

On 20 November 1951 Beryl, Kate, Eric and Phillip Breeze lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Kate Breeze lived here.

In April 1960 George Thomas Hassall and his daughter Cynthia lived here.

In September 1967 Thomas Hassall and his son Leslie Thomas lived here.

Dorothy Jean Hassall lived here in January 1985.

  

Fact file: No. 110 Apedale Road

 

George Henry Moores lived here in 1910 when William Webb owned the property.

This was the location of the ‘New Co-op’, recently demolished.

 

Wood Lane new Co-op

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

The Butt Lane Co-operative Society Building is seen immediately to the right with no. 118 behind. Ethel and Doreen Dale worked here and Arthur Forster bought the land. The shop had a black and white marble floor.

In 1944 Harold Burgess from Audley was the manager, followed by George Poole then Arthur Simms.

Jack Stocker worked here for a while as an assistant, as did Ernie Pointon who was the husband of Carol (see no. 3 Apedale Road).

The houses in the row from no.118 onwards were built about 1900 by Mr. Jack Malpas from Accrington Red Brick.

 

Wesley Street section-x

This 2008 view shows nos. 124-132 Apedale Road just past the junction with Wesley Street to left. The road from here leads straight to Woodhouse Farm.

View from farm-x

A 2008 view in the opposite direction shows no. 136 at left along to no. 124 in the terraces.

 

Fact file: No. 118 Apedale Road

 

Elijah Johnson, an ironmonger, was here from 1896 until 1916.

In 1910 the property was noted as being a house and shop.

In April 1911 Elijah and Sarah Johnson and their children: Joseph and Hannah Elizabeth lived here. The house was reported as having five rooms.

Sarah Johnson lived here until September 1922 when she died aged 72.

In September 1930 George Boughey and his son Norman lived here. The family had moved to here from Chesterton.

After September 1930 Richard Jones and his family moved here from 20, Primitive Street. (See Primitive Street).

In September 1930 Richard Jones and his daughter May, lived here.

In March 1932 George Boughey and his son Roy lived here.

In September 1934 Richard Jones and his son Len lived here.

George Howell and his family lived here in 1933.

In April 1941 Bernard Smith and his son Allan Bernard Dennis Smith lived here.

Arthur Forster lived here in 1942. At the time the house had 10 acres of land and 3 bedrooms. The garden spanned along the back of houses towards the co-op (See No. 110) building on to the Club by the woods known as Deakin's Orchard.

Paul Anthony Forster lived here in 1944. He was the son of Arthur Forster who had married Joyce Townsend

Arthur Forster the son of Arthur and Joyce Forster was born here in Jan 1947.

Arthur Forster and his family and Thomas Forster lived here in 1950.

In November 1950 Arthur and his son Arthur Forster lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Arthur and Joyce Forster lived here.

In January 1956 Arthur and his son Stuart Humphrey Forster lived here.

They had a firewood making business and Thomas was a chimney sweep and window cleaner.

Arthur Forster a, Bricklayer / Builder - rebuilt 118 Apedale road further back from the road with living room upstairs in 1969.

In January 1978 Arthur Forster and his son Mark Anthony lived here

In September 1978 Arthur Forster and his son Michael Lee lived here.

Forster family outside No

(Photograph courtesy of Mr Albert Harrison)

The Forster family outside No.118

 

Fact file: No. 124 Apedale Road

 

Harold Lowe and his family lived here in 1933. Harold Lowe was a well-known singer.

In May 1934 Harold Lowe and his daughter Joyce Edna lived here.

In December 1939 Frank Lowe and his daughter Dorothy  lived here.

In May 1940 Frank Lowe and his daughter Dorothy  lived here.

Frank W. Lowe and his family lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Frank W. and Annie Lowe lived here.

Cyril Proctor and his family followed them.

In April 1960 Cyril John Proctor and his daughter Carole lived here. They had moved to here from 3, Woodcroft.

In April 1970 Cyril John Proctor and his daughter Gillian lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 126 Apedale Road

 

Reuben Durber and his family lived here in 1933.

Thomas Harrison was here in 1935.

In September 1927 George Brayford and his son Robert lived here.

George Brayford and his family lived here in 1945-1977 followed by Philip Breeze.

Kate Breeze lived here in November 1970.

 

Fact file: No. 128 Apedale Road

 

Alfred Brereton and his family lived here in 1933.

Martha Brereton lived here in 1950 and was still here in 1960 when she died aged 90.

In April 1966 Henry Rainbow and his daughter Ingrid Patricia lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 130 Apedale Road

 

Caleb Johnson and Moses Barlow and their families lived here in 1933.

Moses Barlow died at Apedale Road in 1938 when he was 60. Moses Barlow owned a little shop on the corner of Church Street. Caleb Johnson married Moses Barlow’s daughter, May.

Caleb Johnson and his family still lived here in 1950.

On 20 November 1952 Caleb W. and May Johnson and Emily Barlow lived here.

Caleb and family moved to Roggin Row and died there.

Harry Rainbow who married Gladys Durber lived here after Caleb Johnson.

In April 1962 Raymond Reddell and his daughter Jacquline Ann lived here.

In April 1964 Raymond Reddell and his son Martin Raymond lived here.

In January 1966 Raymond Reddell and his son Stephen Andre lived here.

In September 1976 Alan Morris and his daughter Julie Ann lived here.

In September 1996 - September 1998 the Morris family lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 132 Apedale Road

 

In April 1928 Laura Williams and his daughter Ethel lived here.

Lois Jones lived here in 1933. Lois was the wife of Thomas Jones. She died at Apedale Road in 1940, aged 51.

Fred, Margaret and Peggy Evans lived here from 1945-1977.

In January 1951 Frederick W. and his daughter Margaret Evans lived here.

 

Fact file: No. 134 Apedale Road

 

Ernest Sproston and his family lived here in 1933. Ernest Sproston died at Apedale Road in 1937, he was 62.

Frederick R. Brereton lived here from 1945-1977. He died in May 1984.

 

Fact file: No. 136 Apedale Road

 

Alfred Williams and his family lived here in 1933.

The Williams family still lived here in 1950.

Alfred Williams died in Apedale Road in 1952.

Alf was my grandfather and Fred my uncle. They lived at 36, Apedale Road, Wood Lane. There were three more brothers whose names were Bernard, Spencer and Kenneth and also a sister named Laura. My grandfather Alf Williams eventually moved to Chesterton … I have fond memories of 36, Apedale Road. (J. Williams: Audley Community Newsletter Issue 6, December 2004) [Note: The address should have read no.136]

On 20 November 1951 Bernard B., Kenneth and Lily Williams lived here.

On 20 November 1952 Bernard B., Kenneth and Laura Williams and Ethel Chidlow lived here.

In September 1953 Ethel and her son Keith Stuart Chidlow lived here.

Kenneth Williams lived here in June 1979.

Laura Williams lived here in July 1983.

Bernard Brereton Williams lived here in May 1987.

In September 1988 - September 1990 the Chidlow family lived here.

  

Fact file: The Coopers Bungalow

(Also known as Meadowlands)

 

Sam’s son Vernon Cooper followed them.

William John Cooper lived there with his wife Dorothy (nee Challinor) and son Harold Vernon (known as Vernon)  in the 1950's leaving in 1959.

  

On 20 November 1952 William J., Dorthy and Harold V. Cooper lived here.

 

Samuel Cooper (William’s father) lived with them, then Vernon's wife Averil

(nee Deakin) joined them in 1952.

 

This was the same Samuel and William that lived at No.5 Primitive Street in 1911.  Samuel Cooper's wife Lydia Ann was born a Platt - so it would appear that No. 5 was previously her family home.

 

Frank Deakin and his wife Beatty lived in the bungalow at Meadowlands from the 1960's until possibly the 1980's.

  

Fact file: Woodhouse Farm

 

Woodhouse%20Farm-x

Woodhouse Farm (formerly Wood Farm) at the end of Apedale Road. The lane leading to this farm was the original Wood Lane (the present day Apedale Road and Peggy’s Bank from its junction with Boon Hill).

Aaron Platt lived at the farm in 1910 when the Midland Coal, Coke and Iron Company Limited owned it. At that time the farm amounted to 78 acres.

The farmers (as with the houses these dates relate to the dates in records, the actual occupancy was often much longer):

1552 – 1591 John Eardley

1601 – 1620 ‘Eardley’

1620 – 1691 John Middleton

1691 – 1700 Thomas Dale

1720 - 1733 Thomas Eaton

1783 – 1803 Thomas Simms

1825             Ralph Bennett                                                                                  
1828 -  1834 John Shufflebotham             (Land Tax Records give 1834)

1833 – 1837 Thomas Shufflebotham        (Parish Registers give 1833)

1838 – 1881 Arthur Tomkinson

1884 – 1888 Edward Henshall

1889             James Stephens

1892 – 1895 Joseph Statham

1895 – 1901 George Statham

1901 – 1912 Aaron Platt

In April 1911 Aaron and Elizabeth Ann Platt and their children: Mary Ann, George, Albert Edward and Samuel lived here. The house was reported as having eight rooms.

1921 – 1960 George Platt

1960 - 1980 Lillian Platt and son Phil Platt

1980 - 2012 Michael and Christine Amos (née Platt)

2012 -Michael and Jessica Williamson (née Amos)

 

As a young boy in 1940 I worked as a milk boy, delivering milk in the village of Wood Lane, for more than ten years for a Mr George Platt. I only worked on a Saturday and Sunday as I was just a young school boy at the time.

We delivered milk in those days by the use of a churn which sat on two wheels, having to pull the cart as we went along our way. The milk was then measured out with either a half pint or a full pint measure, into jugs provided by the customer. As the churn started to empty it would be topped up when we reached the bottom of High Street Wood Lane and then again at the Old Post Office in Apedale Road Wood Lane.

I have many happy memories of Woodhouse Farm when helping around the farm, especially at harvest time when we were collecting the Hay and Corn harvest. I can still smell the aroma from the hay as it was gathered to be stored in the barn, our treat of the day was to be allowed to ride the working horses, as there were no tractors and very little machinery for farm use. (John Brayford, Audley Community News Issue 15, March 2007)

Farm sale-x

George Platt sold up on 27 October 1960. Of the 27 Ayrshire cows everyone was named individually with their gallonage in the last 200+ days.

 

Woodhouse Farm 16

Woodhouse farm in 2008