This was the shop of Henry Burgess, a grocer and baker. He is first
recorded in 1881 as a grocer in Halmer End but it is not until 1911 that no.
147 is given as his address. He is recorded until 1921. It was later the bakery
of Daniel Beech and the joke shop of Frederick Rhodes.
Podmore Terrace with the shop at no. 186 on
the corner of Podmore Lane. The other end of the terrace is no. 156. In 1910 all
the properties in the terrace except nos. 184 and 186 were owned by the Midland
Coal, Coke & Iron Company.
This was the Oddfellows Club in 1910. By 1912 it was the grocer’s shop
of Isaac Beech followed by Mrs Martha Beech from 1916 to 1936. Lily Timmis then
Harry and Edith Roberts followed. It was Eddie’s Plaice in 2000 and is now
Halmerend Fish Bar (note spelling).
The butcher’s shop of Charles Herbert Whitehurst from 1899 until 1950,
then A. Whitehurst and finally Raymond Chell from about 1970 until 1991 when
the shop closed. The slaughterhouse was situated in Co-operative Lane. The animals were purchased on Mondays and
kept in an adjacent field until the next day when they were slaughtered. The
shop was fully stocked every Wednesday morning. (See Halmer End: A Brief Account of Village Life in the 1920s and 1930s,
for further details.)
The hairdresser’s of Matthew Dean from 1902 to 1921, then Arthur Dean
until 1950. Customers queued for a haircut, a shave
with a cut-throat razor, or both. (See Halmer
End: A Brief Account of Village Life in the 1920s and 1930s for further
Halmer End Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1867, can be seen in
this photo taken on Coronation Day, 2 June 1953, with No. 171 to left and no. 175 to right of view.
The photo shows Margaret Lockett, David Roberts (on pony) and Ray Dale. David's
parents ran the shop at no. 186 High Street. The photowas
taken by Ray's father. They all attended a tea party in the "backs"
with trestles and forms borrowed from the chapel.
The building became HalmerEndMethodistChurch and is seen here in 2006. No. 171
to left and no. 175 to right of view.
To the left stands the chapel and no. 175 in 2008. Next stood no. 177,
demolished in the 1990s and higher up stood a block of four cottages, sideways
to the road, which were nos. 189-195. The latter were demolished before 1950.
This view of High Street at its junction with Heathcote Road (to right)
is the area formerly known as Alsager(s) Green and Madew(s) Green (see Audley Historian nos. 12 to 15 The Old Hayswood Colliery and Estate).
Just showing is no. 252 on the immediate left. The post office and store of
William Riley & Sons, at no. 213 High Street, stands in the centre of the
view (see Audley Community News no. 5
for article on William Riley & Sons, and Audley Historian no. 19 for article on The Postal Service in Audley Parish). Riley's also had buildings
below and to the rear of no. 252 which were formerly part of a farm (name
unknown). In 1837 it was owned by Richard Edensor Heathcote of Apedale Hall and
tenanted by John Jones. The land of 111 acres included a stone quarry and the
Gresley Arms public house in Alsagers Bank. (See Alsagers Bank – The Changing Face of High Street). All the farming
stock and household goods of John Jones were sold by auction at the farm in
1842. There is no record of the farm after that date.Note that the advertisement for the
sale states that the farm is in Alsagers Bank. This is because the Alsager(s)
Green area was regarded at the time as being Alsagers Bank and not Halmer End.
the premises, at ALSAGERS BANK, near Audley, in the county
of Stafford, on Thursday and
Friday, 17th and 18th of March, 1842:
ALL the Farming Stock, Implements, Dairy Vessels, Household Goods
and Furniture, and other Effects, the property of Mr. John Jones who is
changing his residence.
Sale to commence
each day at precisely.
five capital in-calf dairy cows, on good note; two barren cows, one in-calf
heifer, three twinters, two stirks, three waggon horses, one two-year-old
waggon filly, two yearling colts, one in-pig gilt, gears for three horses, one
narrow wheel waggon, with harvest gears; one broad wheel cart, with gears; one
broad wheel tumbrel, one iron ox harrow, two sets of three harrows, one plough,
one land roller, winnowing machine, one excellent straw engine, with three
knives; two ladders, corn coffer, pig troughs and cisterns, measure, seed
hopper, barn, field, and garden tools; about half a ton of good cheese, gig and
harness, &c. &c.
Vessels, Household Furniture, &c. – consist of tent and other bedsteads,
with hangings; prime goose feather beds, bolsters and pillows; bed covers,
looking glasses, mahogany chests of drawers, linen chests, painted buffet, two
eight days’ clocks, cupboards, tables, stands and stools, chairs, with rush
seats; oak screen, handsome fire-irons, brass and iron candlesticks, grates,
fenders, trays, kneading trough, salting turnel, two box cheese presses, cheese
horse and screw, cheese vats and planks, cheese boards, milking pails, brass
and tin milk pans, two iron furnaces, complete; butter scales and weights, pair
trowls, 240lbs.; barrels and brewing vessels, earthenware, &c. &c.
on old words: A twinter is a two year
old beast (i.e. two winters old). A stirk
is a young ox or cow. A gilt
is a young female pig. A tumbrel is a
cart which can be tilted back to unload. A turnel
is a tub for salting meat.]
In 1876 this was the home and shop of Thomas Burgess, a shoemaker. The
business continued with his son John. In 1917 John is listed as a grocer,
followed by Miss Ann Burgess in 1932, and John again in 1936.
For details of Audley Historian
and other available publications go to the Publications page on this website.
For details of Audley Community News
go to the News page on this website.
information and recollections about any of the buildings and businesses would
be greatly appreciated, as would any photographs of individual buildings or occupiers,
which could be incorporated into the article. Please contact the society with
of the old photographs are reproduced by kind permission of the Thomas Warham
Collection and James Pointon. Most of the colour photographs are by Clive
Millington. Other photographs have been kindly donated.
Many thanks to all concerned for the information and photographs
received for insertion into this article.