Part 3

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This view of the late 1890s shows a row of shops and a house known as Audley House. The large building on the right is not part of the original row, as the Tithe Map of 1837 shows only a building standing at the rear of an open yard. The row was therefore of uniform design and could originally have been the “four houses called the Tuttel Street” described in Richard Parrott’s An Account of the Parish of Audley, dated 1733, as the name Tutill Street appears in the 1871 census as the name still in use then for Church Street.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The row of seven shops and houses seen in the previous photo became nos. 26-38 Church Street. No. 28 was considerably altered by the addition of gables around 1900 and Audley House was converted into a shop soon after. The row, seen here in 2007, has lost most of its shops which have been converted into private houses.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This 1988 view shows nos. 34-38 and the window of no. 32 at right when all the properties, except no. 26, were still shops.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This 2007 view shows the row from the opposite direction with no. 38 nearest. This end of the row marks the limit of old Audley. Until the mid 19th century there were only fields beyond this point, except for an occasional house, along the remainder of Church Street and along what is now Wereton Road.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 26 Church Street

This was the draper’s shop of Thomas and Mary Hilditch (see also no. 32). Thomas died in 1893 and Mary continued the business until 1900. She could be the lady standing second from right in the old photo above. She is known to have died in South Africa in 1915. On 5 February 1900 the property was sold by auction at the Borough Arms Hotel in Newcastle-under-Lyme. The shop was later occupied by Ernest Pierpoint, a draper, in 1928, Charles Henry Johnson, a smallware dealer, in 1932 and Thomas Ikin, who sold fancy goods, haberdashery and jewellery, from 1936 to 1940. At the rear of no. 26 lived Charles Barker Warham who was a plumber, glazier, paperhanger and house decorator. The business was continued, from about 1924, by his son Algernon Warham. Later partners in the firm were Norman Walker and William James Pickin. The business continued until 1977 and the property is now a private house.

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 28 Church Street

Between 1880 and 1892 this was the boot and shoe repair shop of William Henry Emery, whose shop can be seen in the old photo above. By 1896 it was taken over by George Statham (see also no. 62). In 1900, when sold with no. 26, it was the butcher’s shop of Sydney Hattersley, then Alfred James Banks in 1904, and Albert Banks from 1910 until 1918. From 1919 until his death in 1927, James Jones was a fried fish dealer here. His widow Lizzie continued the business, also selling home made pies. Mrs. Alice Riley followed in 1932 as a grocer and confectioner remaining until at least 1950, then Lilian Timmis selling general provisions and Parry’s who also sold confectionery, during the 1950s. It was Jackson’s in the 1960s, Joan’s (Joan Heathcote) in the 1970s and Goodall Stores (My Mum's Shop) in the 1980s all selling confectionery and groceries. Finally it became Occasions gift shop before being converted into a house.

 

  

 

  

 

 

My Mum's Shop (28) (with damaged sign) and

Greenhoff, Peutz & Co. (30) (centre) in 1987

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 30 Church Street

This is the property known as Audley House. Fred Steele, a greengrocer, was here from 1908 until 1914 when he moved further along Church Street. It was the confectioner’s shop of Miss Constance Richardson of Alsager from 1936 until the late 1940s, then Lucy Webb, draper, after her move from no. 60. It then became A. & G. Cornes hardware stores. From 1986 until 1992 it was the office of insurance agents Greenhoff, Peutz & Co. It is now a private house.

 

The 1900 sale advertisement for what appears to be most of the shops, including Audley House. Attersley is a misspelling.

 

 

Fred Steele outside Audley House

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 32 Church Street

In the late 19th century it was the Hilditch grocery and provision stores. In 1905 it was the grocer's of E. Henshaw. From 1928 until 1932 it was used by the Midland Bank and from 1935 until 1941 by William Henry Plimmer, an ironmonger and wireless (radio) dealer who was also in no. 34 at the same time. By 1943 it became Cornes’ hardware store. It is now part of no. 30.

 

 

1898 advertisment

 

 

A pre-1896 view showing the Hilditch shops, opposite the school

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 34 Church Street

From 1900 until 1924 it was one of the shops of Carryer & Co., trading also as Thomas Waddington Carryer & Co. Ltd and Sidney Carryer Ltd. Over the years they traded as pawnbrokers, tailors, clothiers, jewellers and tobacconists, eventually having a furniture shop. In the 1911 census Moreton Benjamin Green is recorded as a pawnbroker manager, living here or in one of the adjoining properties. It was H. & R. Marsland, estate agents, from 1928 to 1932 and William Henry Plimmer, cycle, china and glass dealer, from 1935 to 1941 (see no. 32). It was later another of Cornes’ shops and is now a private house.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 36 Church Street

This was part of Carryer’s shop. It was E.R. Henshall, a fruit shop from 1928 until 1932, and general dealer until 1938, before becoming another of Cornes’ shops. From 1983 it was the travel agents office of Audley Travel Ltd. From 2003 to 2012 it was part of a drop-in centre connected with St James’ Church (see next entry). In August 2012 it became OzPom, run by Mrs June Ward (previously at no. 80; see later entry in part 5). OzPom closed early in 2014 and The Cobbles opened in April 2014 selling old-fashioned furniture. It was run by Joanne McCormack as an extension to her business at no. 60 but from July 2014 both businesses were based here and in no. 38.

 

 

 

Photo: "No. 38" in 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 38 Church Street

This was another part of Carryer’s shops. George Thatcher, a watchmaker was here in 1928, Arthur Harvey, a relieving officer and collector for Audley District to the Newcastle Area Guardians Committee, and vaccination officer, in 1932, Valda Durber, a hairdresser, from 1936 to 1940, Dr. Boulton and Dr. Rathbone, dentists, during the 1940s. Gordon's was here from 1969 to 1982 run by Gordon Fryer, a men's hairstylist. From 1983 it was part of Audley Travel (see no. 36 above for later history). It is also known to have been a dental surgery used by Frank Sarsons (see also no. 44).

 

 

 

(Courtesy of Audley Community News)

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This was the first school on Church Street. It was built in 1836 as the Girls’ National School. The view is taken from the earliest photograph of Audley dated 1862. It shows the girls’ school with the school house standing to the right. The latter was incorporated into the later school buildings.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This view dates from before 1901 and shows the original Audley Girls National School. The school was recorded as having an infant section in 1880 and this was most likely in the old school buildings seen here, as Audley Infants’ School was condemned in 1899 and a new school proposed. The building at left is Church Farm cottage, which at the time, was also an office of Sherratt and Nelson solicitors.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This view, taken in the opposite direction, shows a later addition at right, which is hidden from view in the previous photo. In 1901 the school became a mixed Church of England school and the infants transferred to the former boys’ school, which in turn became Audley Infants’ School.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

In this photo, of the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, the extent of the school building, which appears at the right of the previous photo, can be seen.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The Church of England school was sold for the sum of £700 and in 1909 became Audley Council School following demolition of the older buildings and the rebuilding of the school around the remaining buildings. This involved the addition of two wings to the building shown in the previous photo, one of which can be seen at the right in this photo. In 1938 a major reorganisation of local schools in the Audley District took place, resulting in the transfer of pupils from this school to Ravens Lane School. At the same time the previously mentioned Audley Infants’ School closed and the pupils transferred to this school which in turn became Audley Infants’ School. The school closed in 1984 when its last pupils transferred to Ravensmead (formerly Ravens Lane) Primary School in Bignall End. This 1985 view, following closure, also shows the pensioners’ hall in the background.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: Girls’ School

 

The following headmistresses are listed in records for the Girls’ National School:

 

1850               Miss Mary Shaw

1860-1861     Miss Hannah Keene Milliner

1870               Mrs Jane Wolley (or Wooley) Gwynne

1871-1872     Miss Emily Ellen Wood

1876-1888     Miss Eliza Moston

1891-1901     Miss Annie Proctor

 

By 1884, the school, built in 1836 for 220 pupils, had an average attendance of 300. This included the infant section. Following rebuilding in 1890 for 230 pupils, it had an average attendance of 127 girls and 94 infants.

 

The infant schoolmistresses are recorded as:

 

1850               Mary Ann Procter

1860-1876     Miss Elizabeth Bennion

1880               Mrs Martin

1884-1888     Miss Margaret Annie Middleton

1891-1892     Miss Martha Proctor

1896-1901     Miss Annie McEllin

 

By 1900 the infant school average attendance had risen to 130. Following the re-organisation of 1901, the school became a mixed Church of England school and its first headmaster was Alfred Norman, the former headmaster of the boys’ school, who remained until his retirement in 1926 (see article in Audley Historian no. 1). As a result of further alterations, the school held 340 pupils by 1904, but this fell to 287 by 1912. (See also issue nos. 12-14 of Audley Community News for an article on the school re-organisations of 1938)

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Audley Infants School after closure

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The school buildings stood empty until March 1991 when they were demolished. (The building behind the school is Audley Library in Hall Street).

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The site was redeveloped in 1994 when the properties in St James’ Court were built.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This view was taken in or soon after 1910 when Hall Street, to the right of camera, was built. It shows nos. 40 to 46 Church Street behind the horse and cart with the ivy clad National Provincial Bank at no. 46. To the immediate left is Dean Hollow which was formerly called Old Hollow. Nos. 40-44 were built in the 1890s and as George Proctor was the owner in 1910, it is safe to assume that it was he who had them built on the plot of land adjoining no. 46 (see later entry).

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

In 1973 the old bank and the former chemist shop next door at no. 44 were demolished to make room for the new National Westminster Bank building. The other missing buildings in this 1985 view are those of Church Farm, between the school and church.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

By 2007 the demolition of the school and replacement with houses, together with the closure of the bank, had produced yet another altered view.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 40 Church Street

In 1896 it was the watchmaker’s and jewellers shop of Samuel Timmis. By 1919 it was the butcher’s shop of Albert Banks, then Alfred Joseph Banks by 1932. It remained a butcher’s with Gilbert Bamforth, from 1947, Frederick Moss, from 1960 and Harry Hodgkinson from 1973 until 1993. It is now the off-licence Bargain Booze.

 

 

 

 

 

 

John Jackson and Harry Hodgkinson in 1982

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Burgess Confectioners (42), H. Hodgkinson (40) and

Audley Travel (36-38), in 1987

 

 

 Naughty But Nice (42) and Bargain Booze (40) on 28 September 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 42 Church Street

In 1898 it was occupied by Frederick Riley, a professor of music who was married to George Proctor’s daughter, Martha. He is also recorded as a music teacher and music dealer. By 1907 it was the bakery and confectionery shop of Frank Moores which later had a café upstairs and remained so until the 1950s. In the 1960s L. & L. Leebrookes and E.W. Nield continued to sell similar products. The shop then became a branch of Burgess’ whose bakery and head office was in Newcastle-under-Lyme. It is still a confectioner’s and baker’s today, trading as Naughty But Nice.

 

1898 advertisement

 

    

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 44 Church Street

In 1901 it was occupied by Robert Smith, a medicine vendor. He was followed by George Greenwood Kenyon Bywater in 1905, J. Thomas Brown in 1910, Harry Mayall Wood 1911-1917 and John McLanachan in 1921, all chemists or drug stores. James McLanachan took over in 1924 and continued until his death in 1937. It then became Poole & Son Chemists with J. Kenneth Sambrook M.P.S. in charge followed by Philip Pratt, M.P.S., who was also a qualified optician, from 1938 until 1940 when he was drafted into the armed forces. It was finally the chemist of Trevor Jones. He died in 1949, but the business continued in his name until the 1960s. No. 44 was also used weekly by Frank Sarsons, a dentist based in Stoke, between 1928 and 1940. He is also recorded in Church Street between 1912 and 1928, but it is not known if this was at no. 44 or no. 38. The building was demolished in 1973.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 46 Church Street

This was the home, until his death in 1922, of George Proctor who was a builder and undertaker as well as Audley’s registrar of births, marriages and deaths (see article in Audley Historian no. 6). He was followed as registrar of marriages by his son John Betteley Proctor, who had married Millicent, daughter of Samuel Timmis, the jeweller. John died in 1954 and Millicent in 1962. However, by 1900 part of the building had been given over to the National Provincial Bank and remained so until 1968 when it became the National Westminster Bank. As a result the Proctors’ home became known as “Bank House”. In 1973 the entire building was demolished along with the adjoining no. 44 and a new bank building erected on the site. The bank closed in March 1996 and the building became Safex House, the offices of Safex Supplies Ltd. The latter business was closed by 2014. The property was sold in 2015 and has been converted into private accomodation.

 

 

 

Bank House from Hall Street c1913 and Bank House demolition in 1973