Part 2

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The Parsonage, as it was called when this photo was taken, stood almost out of sight at the rear of nos. 164 to 172 High Street. It was later known as The Vicarage but closed when a new vicarage was built next to the church. It is now considerably altered as the Poplars Residential Home.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

14 June 2008. The Poplars is in the centre background. The building to right is St Francis House and the terraces are nos. 164-172.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

St Francis House on 14 June 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

On the level section of High Street stand nos. 147 and 149 at left, followed by the terraces which start at no. 155

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The same view on 19 May 2007. A bungalow now stands in place of nos. 147 and 149. To the right is the terrace containing nos. 164-172.

 

 

 

 

A closer view of nos. 147 and 149 High Street

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

No. 164 (right) to no. 172 on 6 November 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 163 High Street

This was the third and final post office in Alsagers Bank, opening on 5 May 1985. It closed on 12 August 2008 resulting in the loss of the last shop in Alsagers Bank (see The Postal Service in Audley Parish in Audley Historian no. 19).

 

 

The Post Office in 1999

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 165 High Street

Edward Hadley is recorded here as a grocer, greengrocer and fruiterer, from 1900 until 1924. His wife Catherine continued the business until 1936.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 164 High Street

Thomas Wright, a confectioner, is recorded in 1916, then William Henry Whalley, a draper, in 1932. Finally, from 1957 until the 1970s, it was the chemist shop of James Basford.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 170 High Street

George Sumnall, a greengrocer, was here in 1911 and later at no. 196

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 172 High Street

George Hancock was a grocer here from 1880 until 1916. On part of the land belonging to no. 172 was a wooden building which was demolished by 1930. It was used from 1918 by a Mr Parker, a butcher.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The wooden butcher’s building may be the one at the right of this view, at the end of the terrace alongside no. 172

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Another row of terraces seen on 19 May 2007, with no. 177 at left. On the right is no. 194, just past the fencing which fronts a large space where nos. 176, 180 and 184-186 once stood.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 181 High Street

In 1880 it was the outfitter’s shop of Henry Burgess Shufflebotham and continued so until 1916. In that year the insurance agent David Norcup shared the property. He had married Ann Shufflebotham, Henry’s daughter, in 1904. He continued until 1940, but from 1932 until 1940 his wife Ann is also recorded here as a draper and general dealer. Hilda Bosworth followed and then a Miss Baxter, who was here in 1957, used it as a lock-up shop.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

No. 186 at left in 1999

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The same area on 23 May 2008, following the demolition of no. 186, with the Poplars showing in the left background. Building work started in 2010 to erect new properties on this site.

 

 

The view in 2015 after completion of the new houses

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 186 High Street

William Scott had a shop here in 1910 and from 1911 to 1939 Thomas Warburton, a boot dealer and draper. This is the same Thomas Warburton who was licensee of the Railway Inn in Halmer End from 1908 to 1910. Following his death in 1939 the shop was continued by his wife Mary Emma and daughter Doris Henshall. The shop closed some time before 1960 and the building was later demolished.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The central section of High Street with the terraces at left beginning with no. 191. On the immediate right is a shop at no. 202, with the Bovril sign.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The same view on 23 June 2007 with no. 202 still standing.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Nos. 194 (right) to 202 on 23 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: Rose Cottage, no. 196 High Street

The property was sold by auction in 1912 when it was occupied by a Mrs Sumnall. The house contained three bedrooms, parlour, kitchen, scullery and side entrance to back premises. Gas and water was laid on. George Sumnall, selling fruit and vegetables, is recorded here from 1932 to 1940, but could have been here any time after 1911 (see also no. 170 High Street).

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 202 High Street

This is one of the oldest properties in Alsagers Bank, built as four back-to-back cottages which were later converted into a single property with a shop fronting the High Street. The land on which the property was built was conveyed on 11 April 1763 by Mr George Booth, yeoman of Audley, to Thomas Gibson, yeoman of Gravenhunger in the parish of Mucclestone, for the sum of £30. A messuage or tenement on the land was in the holding of Thomas Proctor. The four cottages are mentioned in 1832 but it is not clear when they were built. By 1901 the property was the home of George Jones and his wife Ann (née Dean). Living with them was Ann’s son Frederick Thomas Dean, a stationer. He is recorded at the property from 1905 until his death in 1930, as a grocer, draper, newsagent and stationer. His wife Martha Ellen continued the business with their sons Walter and Reginald Harry Dean. The shop was bought by Frank and Marjorie Mawdsley in 1969 and continued for some years until closure. It is now a private house.

 

 

Frederick Thomas Dean outside the shop

 

 

The Dean family at the rear of no. 202 in 1907 or 1908

Standing: servant / Martha Ellen Dean (née Mullinex) / George Jones

Sitting: Frederick Thomas Dean / Ann Jones (née Dean)

Children: Reginald Harry Dean / Walter Dean / Donald Dean

 

 

Reginald Harry Dean inside the shop in 1960

 

 

Another view in 1960

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 205 High Street

This was the second post office in Alsagers Bank. William Evans was the postmaster from 1913, followed by Frank Evans from 1950 until its closure in 1985. (see The Postal Service in Audley Parish in Audley Historian no. 19)

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 225 High Street

John Burgess, a boot repairer is recorded here from 1932 to 1938.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

This was Chapel Terrace, a row of 6 houses, nos. 206-216, known locally as “Stir Pudding Row” which stood sideways to High Street. They were demolished some time after 1960. No. 206 is nearest camera.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The United Methodist Free Church, built in 1870, was later known as the Zion Methodist Church. It closed in 1967 and was demolished soon after.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Worshippers who attended the final Zion Methodist anniversary sermon in 1967. George Jones in centre, Brenda Shufflebotham 3rd from left, Norman Timmis 5th from left, next to James Downing who is next to Enoch Jones, Mary Johnson at right, Margaret Evans next

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Nos. 222-224 and 230-232 High Street stand between the chapels. All of these buildings were demolished. The photo was taken on a Charity Day when children of the chapel walked round the village in their new clothes, before attending the services and singing to the congregation. (See article on Alsagers Bank School in Audley Historian no. 3)

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (right), built in 1855, and the Sunday School, built around 1930. The latter replaced an older one which had been demolished. The chapel was later known as the Epworth Methodist Church. (See article The Concert Party in Audley Historian no. 8)

 

                     

 

The Epworth Chapel exterior and interior

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The final service at the Epworth was on Sunday 23 February 1986. The chapel is seen here during demolition, some time before 1988. The Sunday School followed. All of the buildings which had stood between nos. 202 and 240 were replaced by bungalows.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 


 

The bungalows on 16 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

No. 240 (right) and 248 (left) on 16 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Looking back towards the chapels with no. 250 (shop) at left and no. 233 at right

 

 

 

 

Nos. 229-233 (with extension) are nearest to camera on 1 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: No. 250 High Street

Thomas James, a grocer, was here from 1910 until 1936. Albert and Lucy Cooper bought the shop in 1939 and traded until 1960. The shop was run primarily by Lucy (née Gibson of the Smithy - see later entry) while Albert had a greengrocery business, travelling around the local villages, which was inherited from his step-father-in-law Richard Harry Mullinex. Their daughter Cynthia and her husband William Harry Smith took over the shop in 1960 and ran it for a few years until ill-health forced them to sell. It was taken over by H.S. & P.A. Davenport, as general grocers until 1969. Finally the shop was K.T.’s General Store around 2000 before closure and conversion to a private residence.

 

 

View of the shop c1950 with Geoff Cooper in the doorway

(Courtesy of Geoff Cooper)

 

 

K.T.’s store at no. 250. On closure it left the post office as the last surviving shop in High Street at that time.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Another view back to the chapels with nos. 250-264 at left. Immediate right is no. 243 (the first property in Woodland Terrace) with no. 235 beyond the entry road. Next to no. 235 is a wooden building which was a refreshment and billiards room of Charles Burgess in 1905, Herbert Stockton in 1907, Fred Clarke in 1910, and Harry Dyde in 1912 (see also no. 235).

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

A similar view on 28 January 2007 shows nos. 250-264 in the terrace at left. The much altered no. 235 is at right and nos. 229-233 are in the next terrace.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: Lily House, no. 235 High Street

In 1921 Mrs Alice Elizabeth Poole (née Gwilliam) was recorded here as a confectioner. In 1918 she had lost both her husband and eldest son in the Minnie Pit Disaster in Halmer End. In 1924 she founded a bus company, Poole and Sons, in order to support her young family. The company was financed by the compensation she received from the disaster fund. She also ran a billiards hall in the wooden building (see above) adjacent to the house and her sweet shop was in the front room of the house. Alice retired in 1936 and the company became Poole Brothers and later Poole’s Coachways Ltd. The company continued until 1987. It provided regular bus services between Audley and Newcastle-under-Lyme via Miles Green, Halmer End, Alsagers Bank, Scot Hay, Silverdale and Knutton, in addition to hiring out coaches for tours and outings. The bus garage, with an eventual fleet of 15 vehicles, was situated at the rear of no. 235 via an access road between the house and Woodland Terrace. The former bus depot was partially rebuilt later and occupied by Alsager Kitchens & Bedrooms. When that business closed the building was converted into two units and occupied by Impact Imaging Studio and Warrior Property Solutions. In 2016 the whole unit and adjoining land was put up for sale.

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Nos. 250 (right) to 264 on 16 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Just showing on the left is no. 266 High Street where the first post office in Alsagers Bank was situated. In the centre is the Farmers Boy Inn which is actually no. 1 Scot Hay Road, and at right is no. 264 High Street.

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: The Farmers Boy Inn

 

 

The Farmer's Boy when Isaac Green was licensee

(Courtesy of Jane Berrisford)

 

Licensees: Dates are those for which records have been found. The intervening years could be covered by those listed or by an unrecorded licensee.

 

Adam Hodgkinson (a.k.a. Hodgkins) 1861

Samuel Worrall 1863-1876

Alfred Cornes 1880-1884

John Bevan 1888-1892

Alfred James Holding 1896

Charles Hulse 1900-1907

Thomas Wainwright 1907-1911 (Owned by Malams Brewery in 1910)

Thomas Smith 1911

Isaac Green 1912-1927

Alfred Davies 1927-1928

Roland Pratt 1932

John Charles Kirkham 1933-1940

George Lovatt 1947-1950

Peter Riley 1960

Allen Collins 1966

Doreen Wells 1970

 

 

The Farmers Boy seen in August 1980 shortly before its closure in 1983 and conversion to a private house

 

 

The view on 28 January 2007 shows the former inn as a private residence

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

 Nos. 266 (right) to 278 on 16 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: Nos. 266 and 268 High Street

Mrs Selina Dickin is recorded here as a grocer, greengrocer and draper, from 1900 until 1916. She purchased the property, of which she was previously the tenant, in a public auction at the Gresley Arms on 16 December 1901, paying £450. From 1905 she is recorded as sub-postmistress when the premises contained the first post office in Alsagers Bank. That position came to an abrupt end as a result of her son Samuel Allan Dickin, the assistant sub-postmaster, being sentenced to 18 months hard labour in 1913 for embezzling over £1100 from the Post Office over a period of 6 years. Later Abraham Rogers is recorded as a general dealer, from 1936 to 1950. Bertram Henry Allman, the butcher previously at no. 133, followed, and is recorded in 1957. Recently obtained records show that Selina Dickin owned no. 268 as well as no. 266. This means that the house and shop she purchased in 1901 was in fact two buildings, nos. 266 and 268. From the above black and white photo no. 266 was clearly the shop. The house and shop were later sold to Aaron Bosworth for £360. Both properties are now separate as private houses (see The Postal Service in Audley Parish in Audley Historian no. 19).

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Woodland Terrace, nos. 243-271 on 1 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: Woodland Terrace

The houses of Woodland Terrace were all built by Ralph Downing (who married Sarah Wareham). Two of the properties, now nos. 245 and 263 High Street, were built on land purchased from the Heathcote family of Apedale Hall on 12 August 1875. The houses were built in twos and fours over a period of time as money became available.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Nos. 293-301 on 16 May 2008

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

The last buildings in High Street seen on 28 January 2007. On the left is Waste Farm and on the right are nos. 323-325 High Street. In the middle distance is no. 296. The white building is the Old Smithy. The area marks not only a change in the name of the road, but also the ancient boundary of Audley Parish. This side of the houses is High Lane in the parish of Knutton (formerly Wolstanton parish).

 

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

Fact file: The Old Smithy

The smithy can be traced back to at least 1768 when it was conveyed to Richard Gibson, blacksmith, for the sum of five pounds, by John Bowers, blacksmith of the Waste. It was a very successful business in the 19th century. The Gibson family remained here until the early 20th century.

 

© 2016 Audley & District Family History Society

 

 

 

Waste Farm on 16 May 2008

 

 

Fact file: Waste Farm

This is a very old farm which can be traced back to the 17th century. It is mentioned in Richard Parrott’s 1733 An Account of the Parish of Audley as being “long tenanted” by the Berks family. The tenancy in fact continued for many years after.

 

Farmers of Waste Farm

 

Thomas Berks, recorded in a parish rate document in 1665.

 

John and George Berks, recorded in a parish rate document in 1696.

 

Joseph Berks, recorded in parish rate documents from 1701 until 1747.

 

Robert Berks in 1766, when the farm was part of the Apedale estate of Sir Nigel Gresley. Recorded next in 1783 by which time the estate had passed to Gresley’s son, Sir Nigel Bowyer Gresley.

 

James Myatt in 1818, when the farm of 86 acres was still part of the Gresley estate.

 

Wilmot Eardley, recorded in parish registers in 1825. He left the farm following sale of stock in 1828.

 

 

James Heler, recorded in parish registers in 1830. The farm was owned by Richard Edensor Heathcote of Apedale Hall in 1837 when it is listed in the Audley Tithe Award. James Heler died in 1885. The farm varied in size during his tenancy, from 83 acres to 168 acres.

 

George Madew, son-in-law of James Heler, recorded in a trade directory in 1884 and last recorded in the census of 1891.

 

Thomas Cooper, recorded in a trade directory in 1892 and last recorded in 1928. In 1910 the farm, with land of 89 acres, was owned by Capt. Justinian Heathcote of Apedale Hall.

 

William Hughes, recorded in a trade directory in 1932. He remained at the farm until the 1980s.

 

John Royall from the 1980s until the present time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For details of Audley Historian and other available publications go to the Publications page on this website. For details of Audley Community News go to the News page on this website.

 

Additional information and recollections about any of the buildings and businesses would be greatly appreciated, as would any photographs of individual buildings or occupiers, which could be incorporated into the article. Please contact the society with any information.

 

Several of the photographs are reproduced by kind permission of the Thomas Warham Collection, James Pointon and Ian Bailey. Most of the modern colour photographs are by Clive Millington. Other photographs have been kindly donated.

 

Many thanks to all concerned for the information and photographs received for insertion into this article.